PDA

View Full Version : Where Are The USA's Biggest Science Fans?

filrabat
2005-Mar-21, 02:52 AM
Out of curiosity, I decided to find out a more or less defensible answer to this question. It may or may not pass scientific muster even by the "softer" standards of social science, but I nevertheless think I still find it highly revealing as to how a community likes to spend it's money.

(Now to the Long, Boring Spiel explaining where I got this-and-that from and why I did these-and-those things to build the list. Skip down to the next post if you want to see the interesting stuff.)

For those of a more questioning, skeptical mindset -- keep on reading.

It struck me last year that if money does talk and you-know-what walks, then forking over money to obtain at least a yearís subscription to Scientific American magazine must be a pretty darn good indicator of general community interest in science. For reasons describe below, I decided to use Scientific American as a proxy measure for a communityís general interest in science, especially among its most educated segment (the ones who set the general intellectual tone for an area)

(a) It seems as ďhigh-conceptĒ as a science magazine can get and still not be a scholarly journal
(B) The more elaborate the vocabulary and concepts expounded upon in science magazine, the more authentic interest in science subscribers will have in that topic.
( c ) Itís widely sold, and therefore hard copy subscriptions forms are easily obtainable (Almost any US city large enough to have a major commercial TV affiliate (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox) will have a bookstore that sells the magazine)
(d) Itís reasonably inexpensive to subscribe to (meaning a yearís subscription is only a small fraction of a college-educated personís income, therefore income in and of itself will not unduly affect subscription levels)

The following list is based on the following calculation:

# Paid subscriptions in a METRO area
Divided By
# Bachelors Degree holders 25 years old and older in the METRO area.

This figure is in turn compared to the corresponding ratio for the entire USA.

Circulation data comes from the Supplemental Data Report for Scientific American, May 2003 (from the Audit Bureau of Circulations - the definitive authority on publication circulations in the United States) Circulation info is not availiable on the web. I obtained the hard copy through the snail mail.

Metropolitan Areas&#39; component counties come from Statistical Abstract of the United States, 2000 Edition (http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/statab/app2.pdf) . (Tables D and E, just shift to Page 4 on the "frames" window) <-- this is an error correction. I moved this paranthetical about Tables D & E from the point below. My apologies for the error.

College Degree Attainment and Estimated 2003 County Populations are from State & County Quickfacts (http://quickfacts.census.gov)

Have any questions, objections or insults? (Just kidding about the last one&#33;&#33;&#33;)
Iím all ears&#33;

filrabat
2005-Mar-21, 03:31 AM
P.S. This survey is not to be taken as scientific, nor is it taken as a sales job. I am not employed with this magazine, nor am I affiliated with it in any capacity whatsoever.

FOR METRO AREAS WITH POPULATIONS OVER 1 MILLION (51 SUCH AREAS IN 2003, AS MEASURED BY ME)

1. SEATTLE-TACOMA-BREMERTON CMSA, WA
2. SAN FRANCISCO BAY CMSA,CA
3. SAN DIEGO,CA
4. DENVER-BOULDER-GREELEY CMSA
5. BOSTON,MA-NH
6. SACRAMENTO-YOLO PMSA, CA
7. SALT LAKE CITY - OGDEN,UT
8. AUSTIN,TX
9. PROVIDENCE,RI
10. WASHINGTON-BALTIMORE CMSA, DC-MD-VA-WV

BOTTOM 10, METROS OVER 1 MILLION

42. KANSAS CITY,MO-KS