PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Chandra Finds a Medium Mass Black ...

Fraser
2005-Mar-22, 05:06 PM
SUMMARY: The Chandra X-Ray Observatory has spotted strange outbursts of radiation that could be coming from a rare, intermediate-mass black hole. Astronomers have spotted stellar black holes with approximately 10 times the mass of our Sun, and supermassive black holes, with billions of times the mass of our Sun... but not many are in between. This new object, located in galaxy M74, seems to be approximately 10,000 times the mass of our Sun based on the amount of radiation it's generating.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/medium_mass_black_hole.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Eric Vaxxine
2005-Mar-22, 05:16 PM
These places are so far away that if we were ever to get near them they would have evolved a bit more (32 million light years worth) how is this information.....important. Where does black hole knowledge take us?
The warping of time/space? :unsure:

Mr. Smartypants gamer guy
2005-Mar-23, 03:52 AM
hi, my qery is that i herd there is a "super" black hole at the center of every galaxy. Is this true?

antoniseb
2005-Mar-24, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Smartypants gamer guy@Mar 23 2005, 03:52 AM
i herd there is a "super" black hole at the center of every galaxy.
Perhaps not in the centers of small galaxies. There seems to super-massive black holes in the centers of larger galaxies like ours, but small galaxies formed later by the interactions of two passing large galaxies may result in the formation of small galaxies that don't have central massive black holes.

Mr. Smartypants gamer guy
2005-Apr-13, 04:08 AM
ahh thx for clearing that up