PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Greece Joins the ESA

Fraser
2005-Mar-23, 05:55 PM
SUMMARY: Officials announced on Tuesday that Greece has formally become the 16th country to join the European Space Agency. The country's Hellenic National Space Committee had been participating with the ESA since the 1990s, exchanging information, fellowship awards and access to databases and laboratories, but it only applied for official inclusion in 2003.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/greece_joins_esa.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Mar-24, 04:00 PM
I think this is importnat, but not becasue of the few percent improvement this will make in the ESA budget, or the addition of some of Greece's scientists and engineers to the pool of brilliant minds in the ESA, but rather because it is selling the idea of participating in space research at a new level to a whole new country. Nice going ESA & Greece!

scorpio711
2005-Mar-24, 08:11 PM
antoniseb, couldn't agree more with you !!!!
I discovered that I did not know who were the ESA members... had a look at the site and here they are:

"ESA’s 16 Member States are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Luxembourg is expected to become a member of ESA in 2005, and Canada, Hungary and the Czech Republic participate in some projects under cooperation agreements."

I hope we'll see soon Iceland, Malta, Cyprus, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia and Balt countries joining up .... and also Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia etc...

:)
Scorpio

damienpaul
2005-Mar-24, 08:18 PM
that would be totally awesome!