PDA

View Full Version : women in space

flashgordon1952
2005-Mar-24, 03:55 PM
one thing has always puzzled me is the small precentage of women that go up into space. why is this ? is it based on the fact the few women apply ? or is there a sinister movement out there stopping women from applying. I thought this might cause a ripple or two chris
flashgordon195252@yahoo.co.uk :unsure:

antoniseb
2005-Mar-24, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by flashgordon1952@Mar 24 2005, 03:55 PM
I thought this might cause a ripple or two
Hi Chris,

We are trying to avoid ripples. You are new here, so you might not be aware of the atmosphere we're trying to maintain here, but controvery about social issues is something we try to avoid here. You are welcome to find a different forum for this sort of thing.

Concerning women astronauts, the M/F ratio seems to be more even for them than for enginners and scientists in general. I am not sure there's much controversy here.

2005-Mar-24, 10:35 PM
Thats a terrible reply to an honest question. I believe this deserves a little more thought, and not just cast aside to avoid a few possible harsh opinions...

antoniseb
2005-Mar-24, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 24 2005, 10:35 PM
I believe this deserves a little more thought, and not just cast aside to avoid a few possible harsh opinions...
OK, give it some more thought. Do some research, post the results, but write it in a way that doesn't pick a fight. Personally, I'll be surprised if you can demonstrate that disproportionally few American women have been in space in the last decade compared to the number in Engineering and Science related fields. But if you do find such a bias, see if you can figure out the source of the bias. Is it NASA's hiring policies? Is it society's opinion of women being in risky jobs? Is it something else?

The floor is open to you to make a positive contribution to our knowledge here. Go for it.

Alaskan
2005-Mar-25, 01:36 AM
It would seem to me that the anomaly might lay in the criteria for hiring. What is that criteria?

aeolus
2005-Mar-25, 02:15 AM
I'm going to back anton up here. I think it is a valid question, of course, and lets discuss, but just that; discuss.

I, personally, am going to go right now and get the NASA application. I'm going to read bios, and do research. Not a ton, but a bit. I am pretty sure I'll find that anton has a good argument: astronauts for the most part are engineers, scientist, and military pilots. I think the question I would sooner ask is "Why are there so many fewer women in these fields than men?"

Anyway, this is just a prelude. I'll get back to youses guyses and galses with my findings. Not that they'll be that conclusive; I'm limiting myself to the net for tonight....

John L
2005-Mar-25, 02:37 PM
Of course there was the recent controversy with the President of Harvard University when he insinuated that women weren't as adept at science as men. There have been studies that show this, but I think that's a cop-out. Women are just as capable as men at just about anything so they can succeed in those fields if they choose to enter them. I think that's the real problem. Women are not encouraged to be engineers, physicists, or pilots in American society. And as women are still not officially allowed into combat, the number of women with high performance military aircraft training and experience is low. I think its all of these societal forces that have limited the number of women in space, and not any difference in abilities.

I would like to point out that NASA, studying what type of crew would best be able to handle a long mission to a place like Mars, put serious study into sending an all woman crew. The thought was that woman have better natural conflict resolution skills. One of the greatest fears of NASA is that a crew on a three year Mars mission would go stir-crazy and try to kill each other before the mission ended. I think they realized, though, that in all other things woman can be just as competative and conflicted as men, and that an all woman crew would, on a three year mission, run into the same situation.

VMAC
2005-Mar-25, 11:17 PM
Why are there so few women in space? The last time I checked, there were only two people in space. After six months on the Space Station, I'll bet they both wish there was an even 50/50 split!

It would be interesting to see what the gender split is at the application level (accepted and rejected applications) for those countries that have a space program. Why keep track of such a statistic?

Guest_byron
2005-Mar-27, 06:28 PM
with regard to so few women in space, I think that 1 of the reasons is when male astronauts urinate they fit a condom-like device over the penis and a woman would have 2 have a catheter inserted(probably full-time)OUCH!!!. This may be part of the reason. Byron

Prasad
2005-Mar-28, 06:51 AM
Urination is not the only discharge of the human body.Bowel movements are also there.These two are common to males and females.
Women have third discharge, namely the menstrual discharge.
Unlike solid and liquid waste, which is expelled by musclular contraction, menstrual discharge is not expelled so.
A long stay in space complecates the matters, far more than catheters and condoms.
A woman who has menstrual discharge in zero gravity can suffer complications.
I do not know the details of how the problem was tackled for long staying female astronauts.
This brings us to the old subject of micro gravity.

Mr. Smartypants gamer guy
2005-Apr-20, 01:07 PM
i believe he ^ just anserd the dudes