PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Asteroid Created a Rain of Rock

Fraser
2005-Mar-24, 05:55 PM
SUMMARY: When a 10-km (6-mile), dinosaur-killing asteroid struck the Earth 65 million years ago, it released so much energy that it vaporized rock, which then fell like rain around the world. Scientists now think that these droplets of rock, called spherules, condensed out of a cloud of water vapour that surrounded the Earth shortly after the impact. They were able to trace the composition of the spherules back to the original Chicxulub impact crater, demonstrating that the material came from the Earth, and not the asteroid itself.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/strange_minerals_impact.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

piersdad
2005-Mar-24, 06:32 PM
Forensic science discovering what may have happened and updating the proof.
Very interesting

lswinford
2005-Mar-24, 11:19 PM
I noticed that they were analyzing the bedrock at the assumed impact site area, in order to trace sphericals to that event. I'm wondering, however, if sphericals are found not compatible with this event, as if (1) there were other layers of rock also vaporized, and (2) if there was more than one such event. Also I wonder about the spatter zones, if such were detectable in their surveys. There is the reflective spatter, as when a drop of water seeming spits up another drop, and the concentric zones of density radiating out from the impact due to the size and density of the ejecta. If there is uniformity of size over a wide area then some of the ejecta may have gone suborbital. Otherwise, like with nuclear explosion fallout, we would have ash that is cleansed, eventually, in rains. A nearly global distribution of molten rock splatters is indeed something different.

One common notion is that a large object would be broken up by gravity and uneven heating distribution within the object. Supposedly these would cause large objects to shatter and disperse. So are there more than one site for the impact of the single event, if it was a single event. When I think of the meteor showers in the paths of comets, I wonder then too if some of the chemical commonality isn't still part of the external object. It just seems too neat as it was described, sorry, for a Mexican depression (where the object hit) to have such broad global distribution. Maybe that's where the main body fell, but as with a comet crashing into Jupiter a few years back, there may have been more pieces crashing in more places to give us similar apparent results.

wstevenbrown
2005-Mar-26, 03:18 PM
I have seen speculation that the Chicxulub impact was the first and largest of a series of chain impacts, including Chesapeake Bay near Wallops Island, Delaware Bay, and Cape Cod Bay, as well as some more speculative sites.

Within the article it was mentioned that the composition of the spherules would be strongly influenced by the angle of impact. Was the angle of impact, and its orientation, calculated? Does magnetometer data from around the Chicxculub site support the calculated angle? Further, does the orientation of the impact angle support the notion of a chain impact?

And finally, if a chain impact is what actually happened, what were the chemical contributions from the other putative impact sites, and are they represented in the stratigraphic data and composition, as well?

This article raises many questions. :huh: Steve

astromark
2005-Mar-26, 11:32 PM
If you are having trouble understanding this thread, think of the internal pressure within this Earth. When the molten mantle, ( lava ) finds a week spot it errupts with explosive evergy. Lake Taupo New Zealand, Krackatoa Indonesia, Mt st Healens. and no doupt many more could be sited as examples of this enormouse energy realease. Now think of an external force, that being a meteorite traveling at high velosity and impacting into and through the Earths crust. KABOOM ! get the idea, and yes the debrie is going to be extencive and global. I think the time has come for the Ragan inspired shield of protection. or what ever it takes to insure our servival. Scientific reserch has given us a clue as to the enormouse forcess at play. Lets do some thing about it before it kills us all. Not If but when. . . .mark.

tarum
2005-Mar-27, 11:04 AM
Exploreuniverse (http://www.exploreuniverse.com)

This drives me crazy , well how can i get these updates on my email ?...... :huh:

SCHNECK
2005-Mar-28, 08:08 AM
Helium 3 concentrates in the topside ionosphere during solar moderate conditions(1).Hydroxyl Radical trails appears to be general features in the luminosities lifetimes and define the oxidative capacity of the atmosphere.
In some experiment,amorphous nonhydrogenated carbon possess photoluminescent properties analogous to those of hydrogenated amorphous carbon films with a high hydrogen content(2).At the Kretaceous Tertiary event,the sun appeared to be in the Sagittarius Carina spiral arm(3).
Actually,Kr/H abundance ratios within the orion spur are remarkably uniform(4)Oxygen is predominently produced in massive star evolution ,which also contributes the majority krypton nucleosynthesis.Models producing the light element depletion trends observed, can reproduced observed Li and Be abundances in the Hyades:at 70 Myr, the Lithium depletion edge should occur at 0.09M Sun(5).Light fluctuations beginning after the onset of intense Helium flares on the Hyades were reported(6).Parahydrogen induced polarization to Iridium reveal both 31P and natural abundance 13CO ligation in very short time
Ref:
(1)M.P.Sulzer Detection of He+layering in the topside ionosphere over Arecibo During Equinox Solar Minimum Conditions
(2)A.V.Vasin,L.A.Matveeva,and V.A.Yuhimchuk The photoluminescence of Amorphous carbon in a C:C60 Films obtained by Fullerenes C60 Deposition
(3)Shin Yabu****a The Sun encounter with the Spiral arms as the causes of Cretaceous-Tertiary and Permian Triassic boundary events.
(4)S.I.B.Cartledge The element Abundance Homegeneity of the interstellar Medium
R.Rebolo Beryllium,Lithium and Oxygen abundances in F-type stars
(5)V.V. Zaitsev:LRC-circuit analog of current-carrying magnetic loop:diagnostic of electric parameters.
(6)Luminescent Iridium Diethyldithiocarbamate Complexes:Synthesis,Structure,and Reactivity Including Stereoselective Hydrogen Oxidative Addition J.Am Ceem Soc 1997,119,7716-7725