PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Survey Finds Dark Accelerators

Fraser
2005-Mar-28, 04:56 PM
SUMMARY: A team of European astronomers has found some unusual objects in the central part of our galaxy which are emitting very high-energy gamma rays. What's strange, though, is these objects are invisible in the optical and X-ray spectra. So what they are is a complete mystery. Not only that, but these objects are also quite large; possibly on the order of several light years across. The observations were done using the High Energy Stereoscopic System (H.E.S.S.) telescopes in Namibia.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/dark_accelerators.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Mar-28, 05:58 PM
I remember reading about the search for sources of ultra high energy cosmic rays using this method back in the early 1970s. It is great to see this discipline now maturing to such a degree that they can tell a distributed source of such events from a point source. It's also kind of cool that they are doing this important but little done science in Namibia.

lswinford
2005-Mar-28, 07:45 PM
Because of their size "light years" could this be another cluster of objects obscured by intervening dust clouds, like the 'coal sacks' as they used to be called?

Maybe a depleted globaluar-style cluster such as one in recent articles, with very large stars that have all collapsed into black holes? I've wondered if among very old stars so comparatively close together a chain reaction might be possible among stars on the verge of collapse might cause their neighbors to nova. It might be a collective feeding frenzy with everyone sucking up the neighbors' nebulosities. Obviously that doesn't happen in the galactic core where densities, and black holes, are great. But what if we have a collection of old black holes that have long ago sucked up all the easy stuff from their surroundings?

The area is large, only high energy particles are emitted or permitted to pass, so it sounds a tad bit of what I seem to recall being the discussion of mature black holes--from about 30 years ago when I was in school. B)

antoniseb
2005-Mar-28, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by lswinford@Mar 28 2005, 07:45 PM
Maybe a depleted globaluar-style cluster such as one in recent articles, with very large stars that have all collapsed into black holes?
This is a possibility. We've seen dense clusters of very heavy stars. They should quickly (under 100 million years) turn into a dens cluster of black holes unless the asymmetric kick that neutron stars get at creation also applies to black holes...

Basically, it is a mystery, and I appreciate your approach of trying to solve it using known parts (rather than inventing a new thing).

Greg
2005-Mar-29, 03:35 AM
If an object can't be seen and it accelerates particles to high energy, then the first thing that comes to my mind is a black hole. I do have alot of trouble explaining how the object can be more than a light year in size. Also whatever is feeding the black hole its material to accelerate should in some way be detectable. Beyond science fiction, I cannot see anyway these particles can be emanating from nowhere, so it is obvious to me that the source object(s) must be obscured. So I do like the sound of the idea that there is a screen of intervening material obscuring a more mundane phenomenon like a cluster of neutron stars. Lower energy emissions may simply be absorbed or deflected away from our vantage point.

GOURDHEAD
2005-Mar-29, 01:40 PM
Could this be the evidence that drags me kicking and screaming into believing in multifilament wormholes?

Greg
2005-Mar-30, 04:09 AM
Could you elaborate or point me towards a weblink on that topic?

GOURDHEAD
2005-Mar-30, 02:07 PM
Could you elaborate or point me towards a weblink on that topic? If you are referring to my comment about wormholes, no, for links. It is a wild guess based on a wormhole being a connection between a black hole and a white hole and the assertion in this topic that matter seems to be being ejected from "nowhere". In other posts I have asserted that there can be neither white holes nor wormholes because, if there were, we would see something similar to what is being discussed in this thread. In a more serious vein, I'm still not convinced that either white holes or wormholes exist. In order to explain the apparent diameter of the source, I extrapolated using a crude analogy with mono-stranded versus multistranded cables postulating yet another characteristic of wormholes, for which there is no supporting evidence, where the white hole end of a multistranded wormhole is frayed (or some sort of convergent zone for wormholes emanating from a set of widely separated black holes) thus engaging in hyperfantasy similar to that practiced by the postulators of virtual particles in the virtual vacuum and hyperdimensions.