PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Hubble's View of a Giant ...

Fraser
2005-Mar-31, 05:13 PM
SUMMARY: The Hubble Space Telescope recently captured this image of the giant elliptical galaxy NGC 1316, located in the southern constellation of Fornax. The image reveals dark dust lanes and giant star clusters, which provide evidence that the galaxy we see today is the result of a collision between two galaxies rich in dust. The dark patches are believed to be the stellar remains of previous galaxies engulfed by NGC 1316.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/hubble_giant_elliptical.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Mar-31, 05:25 PM
I look forward to the kinds of studies that the SKA and 30 meter optical telescopes will be able to tell us about this object. It will be interesting to see some kind of map of the various lanes of stars from this merger, and get a better estimate as to the time since the collision.

I think it is intersting that there should be a big difference in the resulting merged galaxy depending on whether the two spirals are rotating in the same or opposite directions (or far from co-planar altogether).

dave_f
2005-Mar-31, 05:54 PM
I've always wondered what the internal environment of these giant ellipticals must be like. I'm trying to envision a night sky almost as bright as daylight (expecially in the more crowded areas of the galaxy). I'm not quite there. ;)

John L
2005-Mar-31, 08:25 PM
And is this what it will look like a few billion years after the Milky Way and Andromeda collide? I could handle living there. :D

Gustavo 75
2005-Mar-31, 10:36 PM
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7]

The utility of Hubble is again shown with this discovery. This galaxy could be a satellite galaxy to the Milky Way with potential new stars in formation in the stellar dust.

I wonder if the combination of the two original galaxies has been completed and what effect will it have to the neighbouring ones

antoniseb
2005-Mar-31, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Gustavo 75@Mar 31 2005, 10:36 PM
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7]
Hi Gustavo 75

I know our editor seems to allow using giant print in your message, but it would be polite to only use SIZE=7 for single words, or other emphasis, not the whole message... Even one that you feel as strongly about as this (preserving Hubble).