PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if....

Littlemews
2005-Apr-04, 03:09 AM
Assumption :)
If someday, the day finally arrive, when the theory of everything emerge from the messiness theories. Dark matter, no longer dark matter anymore. The Universe has no secrets or mysteries anymore. In other word, everything come true. Under such circumstances, what will you be doing if the day arrive?

Nothing special, just curious :)

StarLab
2005-Apr-04, 03:12 AM
Watch "Whose Line?" some more. ;)

OTOH, I don't think that the "if" will ever turn out.

There will always be a mystery.

Mild mannered
2005-Apr-04, 09:18 AM
It's a good question Littlemews

Personally I long for that day as it will give us a key to unlock even greater mysteries that we haven't yet dreamed up.

A grand theory of everything will be just that a key, a useful tool that will help us go beyond our present imaginations.

IE: Will it solve all mysteries? No - just the current ones - and in so doing create a heep more to work on!!! :D

But I'm not holding my breath...

wstevenbrown
2005-Apr-04, 10:29 AM
I'll continue to work with number theory. If we have in hand all the physical basis of the universe, math will add the capacity to create. Steve

astromark
2005-Apr-04, 11:40 AM
:blink: Our quest and hunger for information will, can never be satisfied. There are allways questions. There will always be people who want to know how, why, and when, with the odd what if throwen in,. Questions creat answers. Answers tend only to lead to more questions.
If all of the questions were ever to be answered then we would be done for. Our servival depends on our quest for the betterment of the spiecies. No questions, No answers. No improvment. Extingtion.

jhwegener
2005-Apr-05, 05:26 AM
In "The End of Science" John Horgan asks if science has allready made its greatests progress in the past, and if there will be no new great theoretical progress. You can of course disagree, but I think at least he made some good points, and that some objections is less valid.(The point is not that "all mysteries are solved", which is of course untrue. That is not to say we cannot reach a point where there is no new big solvabe problems whith scientific method).
The objections I have found least valid (Horgan have commented too) is"They said so in the past too and was proven wrong". Or "it is a part of human nature to search to extend our knowledge", "it is necessary for human progress". But "Human nature" or "human progress" is not necessarely central. "Human nature" or "human need for progress" can, say, not make the earth have more continents to explore, if they would. Nor can any improvement in human intelligence or scientific method.
Perhaps there are better founded objections, but I think at least it is a serious possibillity that if not all science will come to and end for that reason, at least the great age of science, whith the giant steps forward. (Horgan thinks it may not be an eventuality, but we may allready have been there for some time.) Not all agree, and there is perhaps something else interesting viewpoints?

bigsplit
2005-Apr-05, 04:09 PM
It will surely be a great day. It will mean perhaps the end to the philosophical pursuits of cosmology, though not necessarily. But, what will happen is there will be new attention to applying this new knowledge with hopefully profound advancements in engineering, biology, medicine, economics, etc. If such a theory is ever produced, the Brave New World age-change from AD to AF (after Ford) will be updated to AGUT (after Grand Unification Theory). We would enter a new Era in human history.

Ola D.
2005-Apr-05, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Littlemews@Apr 4 2005, 03:09 AM
Under such circumstances, what will you be doing if the day arrive?

I don't care much to imagine how will the day be like more than what will the theory finally be. Just let the day come.. If it's coming.

antoniseb
2005-Apr-05, 04:13 PM
If there was a working theory of everything, I'd still be appreciating the world around us as we explore its details. I think that there would tend to be a drift of the great minds of the world to other areas such as nanotech and molecular biology. Theoretical astronomy and cosmology would lose some headcount.