PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Early Galaxy Growth Spurt Spotted

Fraser
2005-Apr-07, 05:20 PM
SUMMARY: The Chandra X-Ray Observatory has detected distant galaxies going through a period of tremendous star formation, at the same time the supermassive black holes at their centres are packing on material. These extremely luminous galaxies (and their black holes) went on this growth spurt more than 10 billion years ago, and they could be getting ready to turn into quasars - distant galaxies that contain the largest and most active black holes in the Universe.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/galaxy_growth_spurt.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

wstevenbrown
2005-Apr-07, 05:44 PM
This is anticipated behavior for z = ca. 1.4-- If we're still seeing this at z = 6+, it'll be time to let in the clutch on the paradigm. S

TuTone
2005-Apr-07, 06:24 PM
huh? :mellow:

StarLab
2005-Apr-07, 07:27 PM
huh? I'm with you there, Tutone.. :blink: :unsure: :huh:

wstevenbrown
2005-Apr-07, 09:46 PM
Sorry-- I wasn't being intentionally mysterious. I plead coffee overdose. If we are still seeing SMBH's at a redshift of 6 or higher, something is terribly wrong, either with the calculated age of the universe, or with our assumptions about its initial composition; hence, a paradigm shift. S

Greg
2005-Apr-08, 01:38 PM
It is nice to see how rapidly events and discoveries are unfolding about these early tmie periods. I do worry about biased data considering that at this stage (of telescope power) we may only be seeing the brightest galaxies from this period and missing a range of smaller, and still undetectable galaxies from the same timeframe thereby skewing our assumptions of what was really happening.