PDA

View Full Version : Arthur C. Clark and his 2001 series

James
2001-Dec-10, 11:49 AM
I heard elsewhere that Clark made four books in that series: 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001. I thought it was only the first two. Anyway, does anyone have a synopsis on 2061?

Also, I've heard that MGM and maybe even WB are gonna make and distribute the movie version of 3001. (http://upcomingmovies.com/3001.html) Anyone interested?

amstrad
2001-Dec-10, 01:29 PM
speaking of ACC books and movies:

many of you may know that Morgan Freeman<a/> owns the rights for Rendezvous with Rama and currently <a href="http://us.imdb.com/Name?Fincher,+David">David Fincher (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Freeman,+Morgan) (The Game, Se7en, Fight Club) is directing. However Fincher has the film on the back burning because he is not satisfied current visual effects will capture the awe of Rama. It looks as though this film is going to be a mesh of CGI and live actors. CGI (as in Final Fantasy) will be used for medium to long range while live actors will be for close ups.

Coming Attractions: Rendezvous with Rama (http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/rama.html)
a.fincher.news.site (http://members.chello.at/roland.gaberz/news/news17.html)
Revelations Entertainment (Offical site) (http://www.rendezvouswithrama.com/)

SeanF
2001-Dec-10, 01:40 PM
Rendezvous with Rama is the book which got me really hooked on reading sci-fi, way back in junior high (I suppose they call that "middle school" these days, no?). I would love to see a movie version, but only if it's done right . . .

Kaptain K
2001-Dec-10, 05:35 PM
"Rendevous with RAMA" was a good book. That said, by the time I got to the last book in the series, I had come to the conclusion that ACC was senile. Just about the lamest ending I have ever read. Spaceship built by God... Sheesh!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2001-12-10 12:35 ]</font>

ToSeek
2001-Dec-10, 08:23 PM
On 2001-12-10 08:40, SeanF wrote:
Rendezvous with Rama is the book which got me really hooked on reading sci-fi, way back in junior high (I suppose they call that "middle school" these days, no?). I would love to see a movie version, but only if it's done right . . .

God, you're making me feel old! I remember being excited when "Rama" came out because I'd been reading sf for years by then!

Mr. X
2001-Dec-10, 08:59 PM
Who the devil is RAMA!

From that site you just gave us:

(11/7/01) There's still no further development on this project (there may *never* be) in the nearly 18 months since I started this page, but Michael Fleming of Variety reports that there may be a 3001 film coming anyway... a live-action comedy directed by Mike Judge (Beavis and Butt-Head, King of the Hill).

No really the movie you were hoping for! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

SeanF
2001-Dec-11, 12:44 PM
On 2001-12-10 15:23, ToSeek wrote:

On 2001-12-10 08:40, SeanF wrote:

God, you're making me feel old! I remember being excited when "Rama" came out because I'd been reading sf for years by then!

That's my job, ToSeek, that's my job. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Actually, I think Rama may have been out for a few years before I read it in 7th grade. Do you know offhand what the original publishing date was?

ToSeek
2001-Dec-11, 01:02 PM
On 2001-12-11 07:44, SeanF wrote:
Actually, I think Rama may have been out for a few years before I read it in 7th grade. Do you know offhand what the original publishing date was?

SeanF
2001-Dec-11, 01:06 PM
Yeah, that's about what I thought -- it would've been '80 or '81 when I read it. Ah, memories . . .

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Bob
2001-Dec-11, 09:02 PM
[quote]
On 2001-12-10 15:59, Mr. X wrote:
Who the devil is RAMA!

Rama is a figure in Hindu mythology. In "Rendezvous with Rama" Rama is the name assigned to a newly-discovered large body approaching the inner solar system (Greek and Latin mythological names having been exhausted. Later observations show it is an artificial body several miles long.
I thought "Rendezvous with Rama" was a nearly-perfect science fiction novel. As Kaptain K points out elsewhere, the sequels, written with a collaborator, were boring and anticlimactic IMHO.

informant
2001-Dec-15, 08:21 PM
I think I will reply to the original question.
Here is a synopsis of "2061":

(WARNING: SPOILERS!)

In the year 2061, the first spaceship with "constant acceleration" (excuse me if this is not the right term) has been built - the "Universe". It is decided that its first journey will be to Halley's Comet, which will make its next appearence on that year.

Heywood Floyd, who is still alive at 103, due to having lived in zero-g since 2010, joins some friends aboard the "Universe", as a passenger.

Meanwhile, on Jupiter's moon Ganymede, a geologist named Rolf van der Berg, has been studying a strange formation on the surface of Europa named Mount Zeus.

Mount Zeus is a very tall mountain, in Europa standards, but it seemed to emerge as if out of nowhere in a very short period of time.

After some private inquiries, Van der Berg makes an amazing discovery about Mount Zeus, but his discovery is only revealed in the final chapters of the novel.

Van der Berg decides to get as close to Europa as he can. Although landing on Europa has been forbidden ever since the events of "2010", and all probes that got too close to its surface were destroyed, the "Galaxy", "Universe"'s sister ship, is on a surveying mission to study Jupiter's major moons, and will orbit Europa.

However, shortly after the ship gets into an orbit around Europa, it is hijacked. The hijacker wants to land near Mount Zeus, but the ship makes a bad landing, and crashes.

Since there isn't enough fuel left for the ship to lift off again, another ship must be sent to rescue the crew, and the "Universe" is the best choice, because it's the fastest ship in the solar system. So, the "Universe" makes an early departure from Halley's Comet, and heads for Jupiter's moons.

While they wait to be rescued, the crew of the "Galaxy" take the opportunity to explore Europa, and it is then that the secret of Mount Zeus is revealed.

I won't say more, because I don't know if you mind spoilers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: informant on 2001-12-15 15:35 ]</font>