PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Is There a "Fountain of Youth" in ...

Fraser
2005-Apr-12, 05:08 PM
SUMMARY: The Milky Way - like all spiral galaxies - swings gracefully around a central super-massive black hole (SMBH). Astronomers have known for some time that a "fairy ring" of youthful blue-hot stars dance within a few light-years of its event horizon, but such stars should be very old and display expansive low-temperature red giant envelopes. Could there be a "fountain of youth" in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/fountain_youth_core.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Apr-12, 05:12 PM
Nice article. There is an applet out on the web showing the orbits of the S-Stars around Sgr A*. It's worth looking at.

Greg
2005-Apr-12, 08:38 PM
Fountain of youth is a bit of a misnomer. These stars only have so much fuel to burn, it is only that they look younger since their outer envolpoes are peeled off.

antoniseb
2005-Apr-12, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Greg@Apr 12 2005, 08:38 PM
it is only that they look younger since their outer envolpoes are peeled off.
Right, so they are in a stellar exfoliating salon of youth.

2005-Apr-13, 03:40 PM
I can think of several options:

- there really is a "fountain of youth" at the center of the Milky Way
- we don't know what a young (or old) star really looks like
- black holes are not what we think they are
- the center of a galaxy is indeed a place where stars are "born"
- Plasma cosmology is correct
- all/none of the above

Cheers

VanderL
2005-Apr-13, 03:42 PM
Oops,
that was me, I forgot to include:

they are in a stellar exfoliating salon of youth. :D

Cheers.

Greg
2005-Apr-14, 08:44 PM
On further review, I wonder if some of these stars really are young. The Arches star cluster is only 100 ly from the SMBH and has one of the densest concentration of stars of any in the galaxy. Nearly all of them are young, blue and massive. Perhaps some stars get ejected from the cluster in a fashion that puts them in close orbit to the SMBH.

2005-Apr-17, 07:40 AM
stars are likely to originate for the centers of galaxies and to pass through periods of enhanced brightness. stars origin and coupling are uncertain.

http://www.cosmology.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8