PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Spitzer Sees an Alien Asteroid Belt

Fraser
2005-Apr-20, 05:56 PM
SUMMARY: NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has discovered an enormous asteroid belt orbiting another star, containing 25 times as much material as the belt in our Solar System. If we had an asteroid belt this thick, it would light up the night sky in a bright band. Once confirmed, this will be the first asteroid belt found orbiting a star similar to our own Sun. Another possibility is that Spitzer is seeing a Pluto-sized comet which has been orbiting the star for many years and has left a bright trail of particles.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/alien_asteroid_belt.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

astronomy2004
2005-Apr-20, 08:01 PM
now that is cool.

2005-Apr-20, 08:16 PM
"Jupiter acts as an outer wall to the asteroid belt, shepherding its debris into a series of bands"

SERIES of bands? Where can I go for more information on this?

2005-Apr-21, 12:07 AM
I would do anything to be able to go there... and have a closer look... even if its a one way trip...

imported_alan
2005-Apr-21, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Apr 20 2005, 08:16 PM
"Jupiter acts as an outer wall to the asteroid belt, shepherding its debris into a series of bands"

SERIES of bands? Where can I go for more information on this?
This may be what they mean by a series of bands
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/plot/OrbEls01.gif

Matthew
2005-Apr-21, 07:55 AM
Now if a comet was orbiting a star and giving off that much material wouldn't it either have gien of a lot of its mass and so wouldn't exist. Or wouldn't it collide with all of these debris thus dending more matter off the comet and eventually destroying the comet?

buzzlightbeer
2005-Apr-21, 09:17 PM
ok this mite sound silly, but assuming we are glimpsing at something we will eventually collect together again and again until eventually a solar system emerges yada yada and then life forms.... goes thru wars etc eventually getting to where we are (imagine going thru all this again? shizer!) ... ok based on that assumption....lets say we wanted to plant a message for them to eventually discover.... kinda of pass down what we learned.......

1) how would u do that
2) what would you put into it
3) wat assumptions would u make
4) any other good questions?

ok. im going to think about this for a bit.... let me know also if its just plain silly to think of something like this

cheers,
buzzzzz

sam_lelime
2005-Apr-22, 02:40 AM
"ok this mite sound silly, but assuming we are glimpsing at something we will eventually collect together again and again until eventually a solar...."

Dear Buzz
I don;t think this is silly at all..

1) send a vessel or a small ship on orbit around their sun...
with information, with enough information for them to decode our language
if that is possible that is. further than the orbit of their planet by about 100 au

2)Put charts and information about our solar system its place in the galaxy, information about any forms of communication that we we can establish a two way communication system. scientific information... I guess are the most relevant form of information. Philosophical concepts and Biological information, cultural info could could be included. brief history of our civilization.

3)if they are capable of space travel we can assume that they use mathematics , study physics, they can learn and adapt, they have a form of written communication, if they can travel that far away from there planet.. one can assume they are reasonably advanced.. I would hope unlike earth( that scientists and enlightened people govern their planet.)

there could be millions of question.. maybe we should start looking for clues see if anyone has left us a bundle on our door step.

isferno
2005-Apr-22, 10:12 AM
A more scientific formulated guess can be found here:
Asteroid or Cometary Debris? (http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/journal/preprints/ApJ61967.preprint.pdf) (PDF file/30 pages)