PDA

View Full Version : The Sci-fi Channel makes me SO angry

R.A.F.
2002-Nov-21, 10:41 PM
Just saw a preview for Braveheart on the Sci-fi channel. Am I missing something...this is certainly not science fiction. Could it be that because Mel Gibson recently starred in Signs?...is that the connection?
Using this logic shouldn't they be playing the Naked gun movies? After all, Leslie Nielsen once starred in the movie Forbidden Planet.

Trying not to think about the shows coming on friday night, thats for another post.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Nov-21, 11:07 PM
Heh. The website (http://www.scifi.com/onair/events/) says "Don't miss this sprawling tale of a world where magic and superstition were as real as the ground beneath one's feet."

I betcha they run An Affair to Remember in February.

aporetic_r
2002-Nov-22, 02:45 AM
In all fairness, they can only run that Dune miniseries so many times a month...

Colt
2002-Nov-22, 04:37 AM
I wish I had the Sci-Fi channel.. Used to but the cable company here is run by a bunch of (sorry!) *******s. And next year, guess what they are doing? We all have to get Digital Cable. They are discontining the normal cable network. It is only so they can get more money. Again, sorry for the use of that word, but they really are just a bunch of cheap, spoony bards. -Colt

gethen
2002-Nov-22, 03:19 PM
I'll take the sci-fi channel anyday with all its faults over the two "religious" (a.k.a. Screaming Preacher) channels that are part of our basic cable pakcage.

aporetic_r
2002-Nov-22, 05:40 PM
Since we're venting about television...

Am I imagining this, or have TV documentaries become less 'info' and more 'tainment' recently? I seem to recall that a few years ago the Discovery and Learning Channels ran generally reputable stuff, but now their programming is either warm and fuzzy (e.g. That show about people having a baby) or shrill (e.g. Killer asteroids, we're all gonna die!!!). Obviously, it could be worse, but it could also be much, mcuh better.

Valiant Dancer
2002-Nov-22, 05:51 PM
On 2002-11-22 10:19, gethen wrote:
I'll take the sci-fi channel anyday with all its faults over the two "religious" (a.k.a. Screaming Preacher) channels that are part of our basic cable pakcage.

Screaming preacher channels. I got two of em'. Funny as all get out. Especially the one that keeps telling me the world is coming to an end because his interpretation of the Bible says that the world will come to an end 400 years after when the "chosen people" are taken into slavery. He is basing this on when the first African slave that was brought to the new world.

He's hilarious in a scary sort of way.

Kaptain K
2002-Nov-22, 06:18 PM
On 2002-11-21 23:37, Colt wrote:
...And next year, guess what they are doing? We all have to get Digital Cable. They are discontining the normal cable network. It is only so they can get more money. Again, sorry for the use of that word, but they really are just a bunch of cheap, spoony bards. -Colt
Actually, the cable companies don't have much choice in the matter. The gummint has mandated that all TV stations will broadcast digital programming by 2006 (and discontinue analogue broadcasts as soon as the majority of sets in the country are "digital ready"). The purpose is to phase in HDTV (High Definition TV), but the broadcasters have figured out that they can cram three channels of LDTV (Low Definition TV) into one digital channel, thus tripling the number of ads they can sell. HDTV is still a long way off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2002-11-22 13:21 ]</font>

Alan
2002-Nov-22, 06:41 PM
The Sci-Fi Channel is changing its focus. It dropped Farscape, the last of its original series, paid something like $168 million to get the rights for X-Files, shows John Edwards, has a new show coming out where caller's dreams are interpreted, airs Frake's (Riker from ST:NG) show where paranormal events are shown and YOU decide whether they depict actual events or something the writers just made up. They have new series for Friday nights based on Tremors the movie. They donated $750,000 for a petition to the US government to disclose all UFO files. They have sent archeologists to Roswell to discover new evidence about the supposed crash. They are running some sort of mobile museum cross country with UFO/abduction junk in it - to promote their Speilberg alien abduction miniseries they paid $40 million for. They did renew Stargate @ $1.5 million per episode for another season, but couldn't find $750,000 per episode for the final season of Farscape, which they had contracted for. They have moved from showing science fiction to horror/paranormal. They seem to have to show at least one giant alligator movie a week. AMC and HBO have done a better job showing scifi in the last week with 2001, 2010, all of the Alien movies plus a documentary on the making of the Alien movies. The Sci-Fi channel no longer offers anything unique, unfortunately. It was the reason I purchased a satellite dish system 7 years ago, since the local cable outfit hadn't heard of the channel nor had any plans to change their programming. They finally added it last year when they went digital. With the exception of Taken to be aired next month, you would probably be better off by not subscribing to cable just for the Sci-Fi channel and using the money to buy DVDs of the programs you are interested in. They would be uncut, commercial free with no annoying popup ads and bugs in the lower half of the screen.

Chip
2002-Nov-22, 07:12 PM
Right on Alan! The Sci-Fi channel has really dumbed down!

I think Steven Speilberg has done some terrific work in the Sci-Fi cinema area, (E.T., Jurassic Park, etc...as well as his non-Sci-Fi films,) but personally, I have ZERO interest in "Taken."

It will of course have great cinematography (a Speilberg hallmark,) and (probably glimpses) of really cool aliens. It will also fuel the "we were abducted" crowd. If the show is popular, some of them might even show up here.

Funny how Alien Abductions, Planet X, Moon Hoax nonsense, Roswell etc...don't catch on until someone makes a movie, TV special, book, or is a radio guest. Funny how these subjects don't seem to originate with the folks most likely to observe them if they were real. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rich
2002-Nov-22, 07:21 PM
I'd love a show on Sci-Fi, called ta-ta-da-da!!!! - "Sci-Fi?"

Basically, they do an In Search Of sort of thing, but from a much more skeptical viewpoint. They could go around debunking various psychics, dousers, conspiracy theories, etc. At the same time they could delve into really weird and true science in a kind of compare and contrast sort of way. Hence the "Sci-Fi?"... it's weird, but is it science or fiction? Each episode could be themed like an episode could compare psychic surgeons to high-tech surgical methods (like work on remote surgery with robots), or ultrasound surgery.

Maybe the Amazing Randi could host. It wouldn't be too hard to make interesting to viewers of Sci-Fi, History, TLC, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich on 2002-11-22 14:23 ]</font>

Alan
2002-Nov-22, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately, Sci-Fi's highest rated show in viewership is John Edwards so I don't think you could convince them to produce a more expensive show that has the exact opposite demographic, one that is intended to show the audience that their other shows are a scam or a waste of time.

Krel
2002-Nov-22, 08:00 PM
One of the rumors going around for the cancelation of "Farscape", is that the head of the company that took over the sci-fi channel doesn't like 'spaceship' shows.

Except for "Farscape", and SG1 I quit watching the sci-fi channel a long time ago. The show I really miss on that channel is "SF vortex", they should bring it back, it couldn't be any more expensive that Mr I-talk-to-dead-people.

David.

daver
2002-Nov-22, 08:18 PM
On 2002-11-22 14:12, Chip wrote:

I think Steven Speilberg has done some terrific work in the Sci-Fi cinema area, (E.T., Jurassic Park, etc...as well as his non-Sci-Fi films,) but personally, I have ZERO interest in "Taken."

I'll see that ZERO interest and lower you 20 points. I have negative interest in that show. I don't know what it is about Spielberg, but his SF shows just annoy me. Close Encounters struck me as pretentious garbage, and ET as manipulative schlock. I much prefered Poltergeist. Jurassic Park was fun, but i like dinosaurs (I went to see it with a crowd from work--we accepted the dinosaurs ok, but there was a groan of disbelief when they power cycled the Unix boxes in the computer room and they came up without an fsck. Also a few derisive chortles about the user friendliness comments). Anyway, Taken seems to be an excuse to take all the bad alien encounter movies of the last decade or two and run them through the Spielberg grinder.

Alan
2002-Nov-22, 08:29 PM
Yes, that rumor is stated here (http://www.strangehorizons.com/2002/20021014/farscape.shtml).

If anyone is interested in helping save Farscape, write to UPN and request they pick up the show at

Dawn Ostroff, President of Programming

Adam Ware, COO

Todd Lituchy, Senior Vice President, Scheduling & Aquisitions

Danielle Greene, Alternative Development, Current programming

United Paramount Network

11800 Wilshire Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90025

and to SciFi asking them to sell the rights to air Farscape on other networks

Michael Jackson, President and CEO of USA Entertainment

Bonnie Hammer, Executive Vice President and General Manager

Thomas Vitale, Senior Vice President of Acquisitions, Scheduling, and Program Planning

c/o Sci Fi Channel

1230 Avenue of the Americas, F115

New York, NY 10020-1513

Check out http://www.farscapeworld.com/helpfarscape.shtml

and http://www.watchfarscape.com/ for more information.

Colt
2002-Nov-22, 08:40 PM
It is good that they are showing SG-1 on the Sci-Fi channel, at least it is SF. They still show ST:TOS I believe. I don't have the channel but I can still drool over the TV guide. -Colt

Rich
2002-Nov-22, 08:51 PM
On 2002-11-22 14:48, Alan wrote:
Unfortunately, Sci-Fi's highest rated show in viewership is John Edwards so I don't think you could convince them to produce a more expensive show that has the exact opposite demographic, one that is intended to show the audience that their other shows are a scam or a waste of time.

Yeah, I thought about that. I don't think they would ever put it on, just that there are plenty of people who would watch it. I've re-thought my proposed host though. They need to bring Lee Ermy over from "Mail Call" on THC. Wouldn't you love to see him get in the face of some pet-psychic or moon hoax beleiver? I would! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

aporetic_r
2002-Nov-22, 09:38 PM
This is all very depressing. I had no idea the Sci-Fi channel was planning such a serious change in focus (I have been out of touch for a while). But on a slightly better note, the Cartoon Network finally bought the rights to G.I. Joe. It's not science fiction (well, now that I think of it, it does have the occasional sci-fi plot), but it is more entertaining than John Edwards. Now that I think of it, we might be able to use him to convince the HBs that the Apollo program was real. If he could contact some of those who were involved, but are dead...

Aporetic

Zathras
2002-Nov-22, 10:14 PM
On 2002-11-22 16:38, aporetic_r wrote:
This is all very depressing. I had no idea the Sci-Fi channel was planning such a serious change in focus (I have been out of touch for a while). But on a slightly better note, the Cartoon Network finally bought the rights to G.I. Joe. It's not science fiction (well, now that I think of it, it does have the occasional sci-fi plot), but it is more entertaining than John Edwards. Now that I think of it, we might be able to use him to convince the HBs that the Apollo program was real. If he could contact some of those who were involved, but are dead...

Aporetic

Speaking of the Cartoon Network, do they still show Space Ghost Coast to Coast? I am sure they are still not making new episodes of this, but I'd love to see this show again.

g99
2002-Nov-22, 10:15 PM
On 2002-11-22 16:38, aporetic_r wrote:

Aporetic

I saw that they braught back GI Joe!! It was on over the summer at 1:00 A.M. but they have moved it to 12:30 now. When i saw this i jumped for joy!!! I love that show. Brings back so many good memories. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Back on to the tpoic. I hvae noticed that scifi has gone more into the whole ghosts, psychic B.S.. They used to be good, but now thye suck. They will, once in a while, show alien type movies and sci fi shows like when they first started, but now they are going very havily towards fantasy.

I think the Taken series is a way to get more viewers to watch the channel b/c of its big names. Hopefully with the success (uuugggh i hate it too.) I hope it fails, but then again...the show might give them the idea to make more actual sci fi shows. Who knows maybe we can see a return of syndicated sci fi.

I really don't care if they make new shows because other than farscape and the jules verne show they all sucked. They should stick with what they started out with: Sci fi movies and syndicated sci fi shows.

Chip
2002-Nov-22, 10:19 PM
On 2002-11-22 15:51, Rich wrote:
"...They need to bring Lee Ermy over from "Mail Call" on THC. Wouldn't you love to see him get in the face of some pet-psychic or moon hoax believer? I would!"
Oh yeah, that's great. Gunnery Sgt. Lee Ermey (shouting of course): "Now listen up you superstitious, empty headed non-thinking believers in hokum! The only real hoax is from con artists who want your money! Shadows need not be parallel! The ground also is a reflected light source! The moon looks different from earth because the moon is not the earth! They actually went there! Get it?" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I think the only good "Sci-Fi" left on the Sci-Fi channel are the old black & white Twilight Zones! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Waarthog
2002-Nov-24, 03:24 PM
Now they have gone ever further down the path of silliness and stupidity with the supposed archaelogical dig at Roswell. Who knew that a balloon train for an experiment in contant altitude ballons would have caused such a huge amount of nonsense?

darkhunter
2002-Nov-24, 04:12 PM
On 2002-11-24 10:24, Waarthog wrote:
Who knew that a balloon train for an experiment in contant altitude ballons would have caused such a huge amount of nonsense?

They make money off of it--great for tourists....

2002-Nov-24, 04:58 PM
Gotta' weigh in here.. I have the sf channel and like the others was really excited also... However;
The talk to your dead-aunt guy and the talk to your cat woman is such a complete waste of bandwidth it makes me want to find another culture, Are the american people really this stupid? This is worse than the National Enquirer "Hilliary's Alien baby" /3 new commandments found stuff. I rarely watch it anymore.
Tech tv is pretty good. Though, you have to get past the gen x (gen y?) progeny and the materialistic (he who dies with the latest retina scanning - voice recognition/video gameplaying cell-phone wins stuff).It's a *@#&& Telephone fer chrissakes!!

BTW oh yeah, sorry about the women=evil(keo's proof) thing someone at work posted it and claimed authorship. I had to see where it really came from.

g99
2002-Nov-24, 06:09 PM
The difference between the national enquierer/Weekly world news and the Sci-Fi channel is that the two magazines know they are stupid and they are making the stuff up.

Sci-Fi is playing off of the recent alien trends and peoples beiefs in the inadequacy of the govt. and how the govt. does nuthing for them. They know that for their priimetime shows they will get the hard core geeks. But they are trying for that crucial womens viewership and also the millions of trailer living hicks and/or very gullible people to get to watch their channel. All of their recent shows have been over govt. coverups and alien abductoins. Check out their new show "Abduction diaries" where they interview people and reenact scenes "unsolved mysteries" style, for people who really believe that.

Truthfully it is all about the ratings. Look at all of the really dumb shows fox has put out. "Who wants to marry a [fake]millionare", "temptation island", ect. they are big ratings grabbers, so who cares if it is stupid of not. The moneymakers in sci-fi don't care as long as it keept their SUV's fed with gas.

hewhocaves
2002-Nov-25, 03:18 AM
So what, we're saying that the Roswell Incident didn't happen? (lol) Darn.. and I was ready to head up to the 'mother ship'.

actually, whenever I see something like this advertised on the subway, I like to point out that this is exactly why it's called the Science-FICTION channel.

informant
2002-Nov-25, 12:22 PM
You are not the only ones with an unfavorable opinion of the SciFi Channel:

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1957/1439624/10

gethen
2002-Nov-25, 03:28 PM
Not to get too much off the topic, but I have to add that everytime I go into a book store I have the same reaction that many of you have to the Sci-fi channel. Almost the entire section of those stores labeled Science fiction is taken up with, in my opinion, low brow fantasy that is about one step away from the bodice rippers in the romance section. If you're lucky you'll find a little Robert Forward or Larry Niven, or something that actually tries to be science fiction. Disclaimer: Not talking about Tolkien or LeGuin here, just the junky fantasy that's taken over the science fiction sections of most bookstores these days.

aporetic_r
2002-Nov-25, 04:06 PM
On 2002-11-25 10:28, gethen wrote:
Not to get too much off the topic, but I have to add that everytime I go into a book store I have the same reaction that many of you have to the Sci-fi channel. Almost the entire section of those stores labeled Science fiction is taken up with, in my opinion, low brow fantasy that is about one step away from the bodice rippers in the romance section. If you're lucky you'll find a little Robert Forward or Larry Niven, or something that actually tries to be science fiction. Disclaimer: Not talking about Tolkien or LeGuin here, just the junky fantasy that's taken over the science fiction sections of most bookstores these days.

Too many of those sci-fi books are just robot parades. "Hey, look at this totally cool robot I came up with, and this awesome looking spaceship. And I also made up an awesome looking big alien robot thing, too. Here they are! Oh. Oh yes. Some sort of narrative. Yes, yes, I'll get right on that, I suppose." But then again, if that sort of thing gets adolescent males reading, I suppose it's better than nothing.

Aporetic

[edited for spelling]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aporetic_r on 2002-11-25 11:06 ]</font>

Alan
2002-Nov-25, 04:26 PM
actually, whenever I see something like this advertised on the subway, I like to point out that this is exactly why it's called the Science-FICTION channel.

But the Sci-Fi Channel advertises and portrays it as *FACT*. They did the same with the Blair Witch movie with "documentaries" on the incident and its history. They also ran a series of teaser commercials with footage from "actual events" like a ufo or a kid running into a power substation and getting magnetized with instructions to visit their website to get the full story.

They are moving their target audience to uneducated, unemployed, trailer park living hicks in the belief that there are more of them out there who will watch their tripe and give their ratings (and advertising income) a boost, forgeting that their new target audience will be hardpressed to purchase a dead YUGO to set on blocks in their front yard.

I have told Sci-Fi my displeasure at their change in direction, I have removed the channel from my television, and haven't missed it a bit in the last couple of months. I already have Space 1999 and UFO on DVD, all of the Farscape DVDs produced so far. I am considering getting ST:TOS on DVD as a christmas present for me. Babylon 5 is becomi ng available on DVD now, so it will not be that difficult to collect a better library of science fiction programming than that offered by the Sci-Fi channel and since they have decided not to produced anything original from now on (science-fiction-wise), I won't be missing anything in the future from them.

Rich
2002-Nov-25, 05:20 PM
Babylon 5 First Season DVD set, gift for my wife. She just loves the show after much early kicking and screaming, "I can't believe your making me watch this sci-fi junk. Oooo, the captain's cute..."

Yes, I must say I hardly ever turn the Sci-Fi channel on now. Too much drivel. Outer Limits and Twilight Zone are about all that draw me back from time-to-time.

Agree on book stores too. You really have to search to find something good. On that note check out Jack McDevitt's books. They are pretty good. I just wishes he would stop thinking the best way to introduce drama is to make certain characters either foolishly brave or foolishly stupid in order to get them in situations where he can kill a few off. Anyway, I thought they were all pretty good books, and I'm pretty picky about science fiction.

SeanF
2002-Nov-25, 05:54 PM
On 2002-11-25 12:20, Rich wrote:
Babylon 5 First Season DVD set, gift for my wife. She just loves the show after much early kicking and screaming, "I can't believe your making me watch this sci-fi junk. Oooo, the captain's cute..."

You (and your wife) do realize that the First Season captain is a different guy than all the other seasons? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

nebularain
2002-Nov-25, 06:09 PM
On 2002-11-25 11:06, aporetic_r wrote:
Too many of those sci-fi books are just robot parades. "Hey, look at this totally cool robot I came up with, and this awesome looking spaceship. And I also made up an awesome looking big alien robot thing, too. Here they are! Oh. Oh yes. Some sort of narrative. Yes, yes, I'll get right on that, I suppose." But then again, if that sort of thing gets adolescent males reading, I suppose it's better than nothing.

Reminds me of the Jap Animes they keep showing on the Cartoon Network. Robotech, Voltron, Gundum (several version) - they're all beginning to look the same.

Rich
2002-Nov-25, 06:44 PM
On 2002-11-25 12:54, SeanF wrote:

On 2002-11-25 12:20, Rich wrote:

You (and your wife) do realize that the First Season captain is a different guy than all the other seasons? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif You're kidding right? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif I know better. I've watched the whole series through at least four or five times now.

Funny thing is I don't even really like most of season 1. It only gets really interesting around the final 6-7 episodes. But my wife missed most of them, and how could you not own them all?

Capt Sheridan is just what got her watching. She got hooked on him and stuck around for the story and characters. Her first time through she always made sure the VCR was set to tape episodes we wouldn't be home for.

aporetic_r
2002-Nov-25, 06:58 PM
Reminds me of the Jap Animes they keep showing on the Cartoon Network. Robotech, Voltron, Gundum (several version) - they're all beginning to look the same.

I agree. There are several very good anime series and movies out there, but they are often submerged beneath a heap of the usual unoriginal and opportunistic latecomers. Incidentally, Gundam started the whole big robot thing, and some of the Gundam stuff is actually quite good. I can make other suggestions as necessary...

Aporetic

darkhunter
2002-Nov-26, 05:11 PM
My personal favorite is Robotech--the giant robots are almsot incidental to the storylines (but theres still enough mayhem to just kick back and enjoy...)

David Hall
2002-Nov-26, 05:25 PM
With some exceptions, such as Macross/Robotech mentioned above, robot series are not the best examples in Anime. They tend to be fairly formulaic and are mostly aimed at young geeky men. The real Anime gems are the stories that avoid formulaic devices and focus on stories and characters. Those are the kind of stories that attracted me to Japan and Japanese in the first place.

David Hall
2002-Nov-26, 05:33 PM
On 2002-11-26 12:11, darkhunter wrote:
My personal favorite is Robotech--the giant robots are almsot incidental to the storylines (but theres still enough mayhem to just kick back and enjoy...)

Yes, Robotech is one of my favorites too. When it first came on to TV in 1985 (some years before I got into anime proper) I was simply amazed at the detail;the complex storylines, and the level of personality displayed in the characters. These were real people you could actually relate to, not just cookie-cutter heroes and villians. In addition, it had pretty good SF, and most incredibly, a continuing storyline that unfolded over time. And people actually died in the show. That was something unheard of in children's programming at that time.

Someday I'm going to have to sit down and try to watch the original (Macross) series, if my Japanese ever gets good enough to handle it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

daver
2002-Nov-26, 06:24 PM
On 2002-11-26 12:25, David Hall wrote:
With some exceptions, such as Macross/Robotech mentioned above, robot series are not the best examples in Anime.

Agreed, although there are some good robot series--Giant Robo (i'm recommending this on reputation--i haven't seen enough of it to have my own opinion), Kishin Corps, Neon Genesis (well, the Evas looked like giant robots. You find out fairly early on that they aren't exactly that).

R.A.F.
2002-Nov-26, 06:41 PM
On 2002-11-25 11:26, Alan wrote:

But the Sci-Fi Channel advertises and portrays it as *FACT*.
Exactly! I had real problem with the end of the show when Bryant Gumbel stated; (and I'm paraphrasing here) "This investigation begins a marriage of science and science fiction, one that is vital to our future". Well, by definition, science is "real" while "science fiction", (even if it predicts things that might one day happen) is "not real". To mix the two just makes science into something that is NOT science,(hope i'm being clear here) and if the "marriage" of the two is "vital" to our future then I think we are in a lot of trouble. I say it's time for a DIVORCE!

Colt
2002-Nov-27, 12:26 AM
On 2002-11-25 11:06, aporetic_r wrote:
<snip>But then again, if that sort of thing gets adolescent males reading, I suppose it's better than nothing.

Aporetic

[edited for spelling]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aporetic_r on 2002-11-25 11:06 ]</font>

I bet I read more than you do. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

Waarthog
2002-Nov-27, 03:30 AM
I bet I read more than you do.
Given the level of erudition and literacy displayed in this forum by most of the regulars, this is a decidedly dangerous bet. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Waarthog on 2002-11-26 22:31 ]</font>

aporetic_r
2002-Nov-27, 02:38 PM
I bet I read more than you do. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

Oh yeah? Yeah?! Well, umm...I bet I, uh, I bet I've seen LOTR more times than you. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Aporetic

g99
2002-Nov-27, 04:01 PM
LOTR ?

Alan
2002-Nov-27, 04:10 PM
Legend of the Rangers. It is a spin-off of Babylon 5, shown twice on the Sci-Fi channel but not picked up to become a series.

Worst thing about it was the weapons officer went into a holodeck and kickboxed the enemy ships.

AJ
2002-Nov-27, 05:53 PM
Legend of the Rangers?? hehe that's pretty good even better if it's real. How about Lord Of The Rings (LOTR)

-AJ

Alan
2002-Nov-27, 06:38 PM
Yes, it was real

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/index.html

and yes, it was bad in my opinion. In addition to the kickboxing enemy spaceships, there is the introduction of a new, greater, more evil, more powerful, alien threat who only come out now that the Shadows & Vorlons have left the universe, the ship they flew in was haunted by the dead (obviously) crew that had the ship before them, but only the Minbari could see them, plus every other line during the whole two hours was "We live for the One, we die for the One." It became rather tedious. It was shown opposite the NBA playoffs and due to low ratings, was not picked up - no great loss although it would be better than most of the tripe they produce now for the Sci-Fi Channel.

aporetic_r
2002-Nov-27, 08:40 PM
Well, I meant Lord of the Rings. But maybe Legend of the Rangers works just as well. Unfortunately I saw the latter film twice, which was more than enough.

Aporetic

nebularain
2002-Nov-28, 03:21 AM
The worst part about "Legend of the Rangers," in my opinion, is twofold.

1) Renegade crew faces impossible odds and overcomes where no one else can. Hmmmm . . . haven't we seen that plot before umpteen-dozen times? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

2) Marcus, from the series, we could tell had been trained by the Mimbare. He fought like the Warrior cast and reasoned like the Religious cast. The Rangers in "The Legend of the Rangers" did not have that "Mimbare-ness" to them. That more than anything else killed the show for me.

(Although G'Kar made a good appearance in the show /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif .)

BTW - I saw The Lord of the Rings 3 times in the theaters and once recently with the newly released Special Edition with the about 1/2 hours worth of deleted scenes added back in. You have got to see it!!!

Luriko-Ysabeth
2002-Dec-01, 01:57 AM
On 2002-11-26 12:33, David Hall wrote:

On 2002-11-26 12:11, darkhunter wrote:

Well, if you really want a show about people in a world that just *happens* to be full of giant robots, I'd recommend Mobile Police Patlabor. (Of course, that doesn't exactly have much of anything to do with astronomy -- I'd start making noises about Crest of the Stars here, but I only saw the first DVD and I was too busy paying attention to the plot to see if they got any of the science wrong or not.)

Someday I'm going to have to sit down and try to watch the original (Macross) series, if my Japanese ever gets good enough to handle it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Get it from AnimEigo. If you can read fast enough to enjoy subtitled shows, they did an excellent job. I blew two hundred bucks on the l.e. box set, probably the best $200 I've ever spent at one time. (And their liner notes are so worth it -- they finished off the last one "That's it. There is no more. Minmay has left the building!") ^_^

Vonstadt
2002-Dec-06, 03:34 AM
Braveheart...on SciFi channel...I gave up on them LOOOONNNGG ago....first MST3K then Farscape....Bonnie Hammer Ladies and Gents there is the face of the enemy of SciFi...doesn't like spaceships shows.

Oy!!!

God i miss B5 and MST3K

Reverend J
2002-Dec-06, 04:56 AM
On 2002-12-05 22:34, Vonstadt wrote:
Braveheart...on SciFi channel...I gave up on them LOOOONNNGG ago

Yeah, now they've got "Apollo 13" on the Sci-Fi, cuz we've never gone to space /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

David Hall
2002-Dec-06, 08:21 AM
On 2002-11-30 20:57, Luriko-Ysabeth wrote:

Get it from AnimEigo. If you can read fast enough to enjoy subtitled shows, they did an excellent job. I blew two hundred bucks on the l.e. box set, probably the best $200 I've ever spent at one time. (And their liner notes are so worth it -- they finished off the last one "That's it. There is no more. Minmay has left the building!") ^_^

But then I have the awkward sitution of having a Japanese show shipped to Japan. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

And what's your point about reading subtitles? Of course it's the only way to go! Heck, I used to do subtitling back when I was really into the stuff. Some of my scripts may even now still be circulating around the amateur circles. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Besides, if I ever get around to it (strangely, my interest in anime waned at just about the time I came to Japan), I'll do it to give my Japanese ability a real challenge.

informant
2003-Mar-15, 02:19 PM
It looks like, all this time, Bonnie Hammer was ashamed of working in the science fiction business (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/112396_tv14.shtml). How the poor thing must have suffered! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

tracer
2003-Mar-16, 12:25 AM
On 2002-11-21 18:07, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
Heh. The website (http://www.scifi.com/onair/events/) says "Don't miss this sprawling tale of a world where magic and superstition were as real as the ground beneath one's feet."
They said this. About Braveheart. Hoo boy.

I mean, I know at one point in the movie, Mel Gibson says that he defeated the British "by shooting fireballs from his eyes and lightning from his *rse." But he was supposed to be making a funny! He didn't really shoot lightning or fireballs in the movie! Gah!

I betcha they run An Affair to Remember in February.
"Monster Chiller Horror Theater presents ... The Odd Couple?!"

beskeptical
2003-Mar-17, 09:24 AM
Most of TV is dumbed down to the cheapest show that will get comercial sponsors. It's very disheartening.

But wait! I hear the sound of INTERNET HERO. She's riding her trusty Beeeg Bandwidth. Soon she will trample over those shifty broadcasters with intelligent programs that don't appeal to the masses with soma cluttered brains. Intelligent programs like university lectures on the latest astronomy research. News that delves into the facts rather than repeating the latest party line. Original work like Sundance films and all kinds of stuff from other countries and cultures.

We just need to hold on a few more years. We will get our programs through the net, I know we will. I know INTERNET HERO will come. I just know it.

g99
2003-Mar-17, 05:21 PM
And all that set to the soudtrack of the Lone ranger!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Souds great. But i will miss my Cartoons.

tracer
2003-Mar-17, 07:13 PM
Naah, large bandwidth stuff live Internet videos will require commercial interest, and that means either (A) viewers paying for it, like HBO or movie tickets; or (B) commercials accompanying it, like on free TV, which means mass appeal and ratings will once again reign supreme.

darkhunter
2003-Mar-17, 09:28 PM
On 2003-03-17 14:13, tracer wrote:
Naah, large bandwidth stuff live Internet videos will require commercial interest, and that means either (A) viewers paying for it, like HBO or movie tickets; or (B) commercials accompanying it, like on free TV, which means mass appeal and ratings will once again reign supreme.

Lotsa pop-up adds (even more than now)...

Thanks, BA, for sparing us that hassle!

calliarcale
2003-Mar-17, 09:52 PM
I pretty much gave up on Sci-Fi when they cancelled MST3K. (Funnily enough, I gave up on Comedy Central right when *they* cancelled MST3K. And before that, I only watched KTMA until MST3K was cancelled, but that's not entirely fair since that station actually went off the air entirely about that time.) I still tune in occasionally for repeats of shows I really like, and of course it's the only place you can get Twilight Zone these days. And I'll watch "Children of Dune". But I don't tune in without a specific reason to do so anymore.

Jim
2003-Mar-17, 11:24 PM
Riverworld. I do want to see that one. I wonder how they'll handle the nudity?

daver
2003-Mar-17, 11:29 PM
On 2003-03-17 18:24, Jim wrote:
Riverworld. I do want to see that one. I wonder how they'll handle the nudity?

The easiest way is to give everyone clothes. It's not that central to the plot.

tracer
2003-Mar-18, 02:31 AM
Speaking of which:

There was frontal nudity in the DVD version of the Dune miniseries. (Specifically, Chani.) I've never watched the series when it was aired on the SciFi Channel. What did they do with the nude scenes when they broadcast it?

Or was this one of those shows where they produced an "American" and a "European" version, where the American version doesn't show any nudity but the European version does?

g99
2003-Mar-18, 02:38 AM
Are you talking about the recent Dune series or the really old one?

Rodina
2003-Mar-18, 06:32 AM
Well, I've been so impressed with the first two episodes of "Children of Dune", I'd be happy to take all the other schlock if they just stay in the business of producing an original science fiction miniseries each year... I know that this fall an adaptation of Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" comes out---and if the Dune and Children of Dune they've helped create are any indication, I'm very much looking forward to it all.

g99
2003-Mar-18, 06:48 AM
A forever war adaptation! YES! Finally! Where did you get this information? I can't wait. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

beskeptical
2003-Mar-18, 09:15 AM
On 2003-03-17 14:13, tracer wrote:

Oh you poor soul with no vision of the future. I watch the local University channel now and have seen some great stuff. I'd love to get other University programs.

And we have big medical conferences on the phone now so the net would add to that. You sign up, dial in and it's much the same as being at a conference except folks are on the line from all over the world. You can even cue up for questions without leaving your seat.

And the independent filmakers can produce low budget originals that often are very creative. Look at the Blair Witch success. They started with an internet site.

Music is getting played that might not have ever made it to commercial radio.

As far as pop ups and other revenue generating ads, oh well, as long as the kids don't get bombarded with pop up porn. Ad people will learn to tone it down or be tuned out. Not many folks are likely to click on ads that bug them. As it is now, I can't figure out who the target market is. Do you know anyone who keeps a pop up open long enough to actually read it? I sure don't.

Rodina
2003-Mar-18, 02:55 PM
On 2003-03-18 01:48, g99 wrote:
A forever war adaptation! YES! Finally! Where did you get this information? I can't wait. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I don't remember where I first heard of it, or even where there is any kind of behind-the-scenes info, but just Google it and you'll find some stuff here and there.

tracer
2003-Mar-18, 09:51 PM
And not only are they doing an adaptation of Haldeman's The Forever War, but this December, they're going to be showing a remake of Battlestar Galactica!

(What?)

tracer
2003-Mar-18, 09:54 PM
On 2003-03-17 21:38, g99 wrote:
Are you talking about the recent Dune series or the really old one?
With respect to "nude Chani", I was talking about the recent 6-hour 3-part Dune miniseries produced expressly for the SciFi channel.

I'm still curious if the DVD version is some kind of "European" release, where that kind of stuff is allowed on broadcast TV.

tjm220
2003-Mar-18, 09:59 PM
On 2003-03-18 16:54, tracer wrote:

With respect to "nude Chani", I was talking about the recent 6-hour 3-part Dune miniseries produced expressly for the SciFi channel.

I'm still curious if the DVD version is some kind of "European" release, where that kind of stuff is allowed on broadcast TV.

My DVD version doesn't show her being nude, maybe it is just a N.A. vs Europe difference.

g99
2003-Mar-18, 10:18 PM
Just watch out. The European DVD might not work in your player. Make sure it is coded for your region.

Rue
2003-Mar-19, 02:31 PM
On 2003-03-18 17:18, g99 wrote:
Just watch out. The European DVD might not work in your player. Make sure it is coded for your region.

There are ways around this /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
At least for the DVD drive on your computer.

tracer
2003-Mar-19, 05:57 PM
I got the Dune miniseries DVD album at a local (Northern California) store, so I doubt it wasn't encoded for North America. (It worked in my off-the-shelf North American DVD player attached to an NTSC TV set, after all).

Alan
2003-Mar-19, 09:21 PM
On 2003-03-18 16:51, tracer wrote:
And not only are they doing an adaptation of Haldeman's The Forever War, but this December, they're going to be showing a remake of Battlestar Galactica!

(What?)

From what I have seen, there are major changes in the remake of Battlestar Galactica. Spoilers below

Starbuck is a woman, Galactica is a museum, Adama and Apollo are estranged father and son, the President is a woman (who is struggling with breast cancer in addition to the destruction of humanity), Baltar is a computer geek seduced by a Cylon Fembot (named unoriginally #6 of 12), Cylons are human-made robots who turn on their creators instead of an alien race.

daver
2003-Mar-19, 09:37 PM
On 2003-03-19 16:21, Alan wrote:
[
From what I have seen, there are major changes in the remake of Battlestar Galactica. Spoilers below

For real, or are you just yanking our chains? This doesn't look too well thought out.

informant
2003-Mar-19, 09:45 PM
Here are a few early reviews of the script (with spoilers):

http://www.filmjerk.com/archives/0212/021203galactica.html
http://www.filmjerk.com/archives/0212/021208galactica.html
http://www.battlestargalactica.com/features/articles_interviews/archive/2002/dec02b-plain.html

The fans aren’t too happy about the changes (http://www.bsgboycott.cjb.net/).

daver
2003-Mar-20, 12:26 AM
On 2003-03-19 16:45, informant wrote:
Here are a few early reviews of the script (with spoilers):

http://www.filmjerk.com/archives/0212/021203galactica.html
http://www.filmjerk.com/archives/0212/021208galactica.html
http://www.battlestargalactica.com/features/articles_interviews/archive/2002/dec02b-plain.html

The fans aren?t too happy about the changes (http://www.bsgboycott.cjb.net/).

Umm, i see. Well, i guess it's more or less what you'd expect from the Sci Fi channel. Funny how poorly thought out it appears. It's strange how much money people are willing to throw at effects and how little into writing, but we've seen that before.

I wonder if there's an opportunity for an SF channel, as opposed to the Sci Fi channel.

tracer
2003-Mar-20, 12:26 AM
From the 3rd link above (SPOILERS!):

"The introduction tells (in text) of the Cylons, who were created by Man, used as servants, becoming more advanced, used for dangerous work, used to fight when the Twelve Colonies warred amongst themselves, and eventually fighting against Man... and unifying the Colonies in a common cause, moving away from their dependences on technology and winning."

Oh no! It's the BUTLERIAN JIHAD!!

nebularain
2003-Mar-20, 04:23 AM
On 2003-03-19 16:45, informant wrote:

Well - this definantly sums it up best.

"Moore tries to make a "new" show, but continually does things that remind one of the original. The problem with the script is not that he isn't good writer. As I have said before, and now see is completely true, it is based on a WRONG PREMISE.

The show lacks soul at it's core. I did not care about most of the characters. It is cold, sterile and generally doesn't involve us emotionally. Sadly, it has almost no (very little) humor. The best parts are the villains. That's okay, except you care more and are more interested in Number Six and Baltar than you are in Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, William Adama, Paul Tigh, Sharon "Boomer" Valerii, Lee "Apollo" Adama, etc. . . .

The Starbuck, Apollo, Boomer thing is just too weird. The "Three Musketeers" chemistry is non-existant; the interplay between the characters isn't involving. Once again it would be okay if this wasn't based on a previous show. Unfortunately, seeing/hearing the names is a constant reminder of a Twilight Zone episode. Imagine the Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy trio from Star Trek. Now separate the characters and give them different personalities. They eventually meet one another, but the electricity is lacking, the interplay is lost by virtue of the new personalities... and the script doesn't create anything magical like the original series to replace or enhance it."

nebularain
2003-Mar-22, 03:54 AM
The Sci-fi Channel makes me SO angry

Speaking of. . .

The series finale for "FarScape." A-A-A-A-A-A-R-R-GH!!!!!

Jim
2003-Mar-22, 02:40 PM
On 2003-03-21 22:54, nebularain wrote:
The Sci-fi Channel makes me SO angry

Speaking of. . .

Y'know, I was starting to give up on Farscape (too ethreal) when it took a turn for the better... only to face cancellation! Figgers.

HOWEVER, the "series finale" episode ended with a cliffhanger and a "To Be Continued" message. AND they ran a commercial touting a Save Farscape effort.

So, there may still be hope.

informant
2003-Mar-22, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't bet on it.
The cancellation of Farscape had been announced a few months ago. The number of episodes left to be produced was already known. That's why there is a "Save Farecape" movement.
Bonnie Hammer, however, has given an interview where she said that Farscape was "good in its day", while her channel turned to schlock like The Dream Team and Scare Tactics.
The only hope for Farscape as a series is if it's picked up by another network. Or there could be a few wrap-up movies.

Added:

Also, Bonnie has the audacity to say that the series came to “a natural end”, when it stops at a cliffhanger.

Sci Fi's president Hammer concedes she receives e-mails daily from upset viewers. ''Science fiction for some reason has an even more passionate fan base than other genres, so when any series ends, somehow there is a backlash,'' she says. Still, she insists that ''Farscape'' is ''coming to its natural end. ... It was a fabulous series that told great stories with a fabulous cast and at some point you have to say goodbye. ... Like many series, it started waning in the ratings, and we have to move the channel forward with fresh product.''

Source: Boston Globe article. (http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/531/49)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: informant on 2003-03-22 10:15 ]</font>

Val Trottan
2003-Mar-25, 07:49 PM
I am still disturbed about that horrible ending.

frenat
2003-Mar-25, 08:03 PM
Concerning Farscape, it was disturbing but upon watching it again I noticed the attacker is ordered to "neutralize invaders for analysis." that does not necessarily mean they were killed. Hopefully they will make a movie and clear it up.

Val Trottan
2003-Mar-25, 08:15 PM
However, was it necessary to show them melting?
Yuk.

frenat
2003-Mar-25, 08:27 PM
No probably not but it also didn't look like they were melting. They appeared to crytalize and then crumble.

g99
2003-Mar-25, 09:15 PM
Didn't see the entire episode, but i did see the last five minutes. At the very last scene they showed a closeup on the ring. The material around the ring and the bottom of the boat looked charred and not crystalized. So maybe they cristalized and the area around them got burned by the blast.

Val Trottan
2003-Mar-25, 09:24 PM
As silly as this is to be talking about, (it's sci-fantasy after all) and as it was cancelled and there is no plan for its return in any form so far ...

Neutralizing people by crytalizing them is just as farfetched as scattering their atoms and reassembling them on pads.

(Also, not terribly original since Star Trek did that first in the 60s. Still as silly now as then, eh?)[/i]

R.A.F.
2003-Mar-26, 05:48 PM
="Alan"
From what I have seen, there are major changes in the remake of Battlestar Galactica.[/qoute]

I have a sincere fondness for the 'old' Battlestar Galactica...it's a real shame that the scifi channel will ruin that with this silly remake.

R.A.F.
2003-Mar-26, 05:53 PM

I finally got around to watching it and it would have been fine if they had only left off the last 2 minutes or so.

informant
2003-Mar-26, 09:49 PM
Farscape fans might find the links in this post (http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/531/250) interesting.

Nightfall
2003-Mar-29, 03:37 AM
Warning Potential "Groaner" Joke Ahead:

You have been warned.

From the sound of it perhaps they should rename themselves the "psi-fi" channel.

informant
2003-Mar-31, 12:02 PM
From the sound of it perhaps they should rename themselves the "psi-fi" channel.

:lol: Excellent!

Alan
2003-Apr-02, 04:03 PM
Think the current Sci-Fi channel lineup is bad - look what is coming up.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-04/02/13.00.sfc

SCI FI Gets Real

The SCI FI Channel unveiled a new slate of "alternative reality" programs that deal with psychic investigation, science-fact documentaries and a candid look at life on Mars. The reality series are all in development. A full list follows.

•Mad Mad House. This show puts contestants into Alt Manor, a house inhabited by a vampire, a witch, a voodoo priest, a yoga master and a psychic, where the contestants must compete in a series of increasingly bizarre challenges to claim a grand prize. Arthur Smith and Kent Weed, from A. Smith & Company, produce the series, which will be distributed by USA Cable Entertainment, a unit of Vivendi Universal Entertainment, which also owns SCI FI and SCIFI.COM.

•Life on Mars. This weekly one-hour reality drama focuses on two colonies of a dozen people each who must struggle to survive in a simulated version of the planet Mars. USA Cable Entertainment will distribute this series, which is produced by Wall To Wall.

•Lab Rats. This consumer reporting show puts outrageous claims and miracle promises to the test via a crew of "lab rats." Hallock & Healey Entertainment produce, and Scott Hallock and Kevin Healey (Scare Tactics) executive produce.

•SCI FI Declassified. A series of original two-hour documentary specials, in the spirit of The Roswell Crash: Startling New Evidence, will launch with four groundbreaking investigations that uncover new and explosive evidence using the forensic tools of modern science.

•Psychic Investigators. From the producers of The FBI Files and The New Detectives comes an investigative series that follows real-life criminal investigations in which a psychic conducts surveillance on a suspect or provides the key to solving a crime. New Dominion Pictures produces.

•The Illusionist Special. Just in time for Halloween, this show features a master illusionist and is taped at Universal's Orlando theme park.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-sfc.html?2003-04/01/13.15.sfc

SCI FI Announces Series Slate

The SCI FI Channel announced a hefty development slate for the 2004-'05 season that includes a spinoff of the hit series Stargate SG-1, as well as several projects from top writers and producers. A full list of projects follows:

•Dead Lawyers. DreamWorks Television (Steven Spielberg Presents Taken) produces this one-hour series, about hotshot defense attorney Jimmy Quinn, who is run over by a bus and finds himself in a law firm composed of unscrupulous lawyers who must return from the dead to redeem themselves by defending everyone they screwed when they were alive—pro bono! The Zanuck Company and DreamWorks Television executive produce. Christopher Murphey and Andy Lieberman came up with the story, with a script by Murphey. The series will be distributed by USA Cable Entertainment, a unit of Vivendi Universal Entertainment, which also owns SCI FI and SCIFI.COM.

•The Divide. This mystery series centers on a bogus radio psychic who discovers that his abilities are real when he is visited by the ghost of his twin sister. With the aid of a coroner, the team solves crimes. Lions Gate produces, with Stan Brooks executive producing from a script by Frank Military and Dean White.

•Legion. Whoopi Goldberg, Stephen Garrett and Jane Featherstone executive produce this series, about a young man who sells his soul to the devil to save his daughter's life and finds out that he must leave his family and wander the world with the ability to recognize other demonically possessed souls. Produced by Kudos Film & Television, Ltd., Whoop, Inc., and Tom Leonardis, the series is written by Tony Jordan and distributed by USACE.

•Stargate: Atlantis. This series centers on a new team in the Stargate SG-1 universe. A secret base left by the originators of the Stargate is found in the most unlikely of places: on Earth, buried within the ruins of the legendary civilization of Atlantis. A new team travels to a distant universe, where they find a primitive human civilization threatened by a sinister new enemy. MGM Television produces.

•Painkiller Jane. Based on the Event Comics series, this superhero series focus on a young marine officer, Jane Browning, who is exposed to a biochemical weapon that changes her genetically, endowing her with incredible self-healing powers. She becomes an ultra-covert agent fighting crime while struggling to remain free from those who would now use her gifts for sinister purposes. John Harrison (Frank Herbert's Dune) and Don Opper wrote the script. Harrison, Opper and Greg Gold executive produce, and Harrison directs.

•Clive Barker's The Evil One. Barker (Hellraiser) is the creative force behind this new thriller series, told from the perspective of an evil demon, in which the forces of good and evil do battle each week. Produced by Seraphim, Inc., Barker executive produces. USACE distributes.

•Total Eclipse. This series centers on Jeremy Cross, a new teacher at Greylock College, who discovers that the school is a nexus of the supernatural, where the faculty's IQ increases annually, intelligent wolves roam the forests and research deals with time travel, ESP and anything else on the edge of science. Steve Aspis writes and executive produces.

•Suture Girl. Developed from the Gretchen Culver character in the Spawn comic-book series, this series centers on a former advertising executive who was murdered by a serial killer and finds herself stitched back to life and imbued with special powers by a mysterious gypsy woman. Suture becomes a voice for the oppressed and a court of last resort as she fights evil with the help of a handsome crusading lawyer. Alan McElroy (Spawn) wrote this backdoor pilot, which will be executive produced by Fireworks Entertainment and Edmonds Entertainment's Tracey E. Edmonds, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds and Sheila Ducksworth. Spawn creator Todd McFarlane will also serve as a producer.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-sfc.html?2003-04/01/13.30.sfc

SCI FI Unveils Action Films
The SCI FI Channel announced a new slate of upcoming action-oriented original movies that are set to premiere in 2003-'04. The films will air during the Channel's Saturday action-movie slot.
Since introducing Saturday action movies in 2002, the Channel has averaged a household rating of 1.4 for the original films. SCI FI is currently slated to air 22 originals in 2003 and will premiere approximately two per month. Previously announced projects include Man with the Screaming Brain and Earwigs (both starring Bruce Campbell), Epoch II, Graveland and Puppetmaster vs. Demonic Toys. All will premiere in 2003-'04. A list of the upcoming films follows.

•Dragon Storm. Maxwell Caulfield, John Rhys-Davies and Angel Borris star in this film, about alien dragons who arrive on medieval Earth in a meteor and threaten humankind, forcing two enemy kingdoms to join forces and fight off the alien dragon threat. The film recently completed production in Sofia, Bulgaria, from UFO Films.

•Idaho Creature Incident. John Savage and Michelle Goh star in a movie about a government experiment using an alien creature as a weapon. When the trial fails, the creature is locked inside a government facility and must be destroyed before it can escape. The film recently completed production in Sofia, Bulgaria, with Nu Image.

•Ghost Monkey. A freelance photographer and an American investigator join forces to stop a man-eating monkeylike creature that goes on a killing spree throughout the streets of India. Filming begins in the spring with Promark Entertainment.

•Snakehead Terror. In a small town in Maryland, a school of freakishly large man-eating snakehead fish overrun a lake and take to the land. It's up to the local sheriff to reel in the creatures before they can go on a massive feeding frenzy. Filming begins in Vancouver, B.C., in the spring with Cinetel.

•Phantom Force. A spinoff of the Interceptor Force movies, this film follows a force of elite government soldiers assigned to protect the human race from supernatural threats. Filming begins in Bulgaria in May with UFO Films.

•Interceptor Force III. In the not-too-distant future, a team of specially trained government soldiers protects Earth from hostile alien encounters. Produced by UFO Films.

•Gargoyle. The evil wizard Calabos wants to take over the world with an army of living gargoyles, and only Marcus, a magician who possesses an enchanted ring, can stop him. Produced by Chesler Perlmutter.

Two of these were posted on April 1st. I can only hope that they are an April Fools joke but given the programs they have greenlighted lately that is probably just wishful thinking.

Psy-Fi Channel indeed.

R.A.F.
2003-Apr-02, 06:57 PM
Think the current Sci-Fi channel lineup is bad - look what is coming up.

Alan, after reading your post I'm thinking of changing the name of this thread to "The Sci-Fi channel makes me SO SCARED"...because it's scary to think that some of this entertainment might actually be on their line-up.

edited to fix bad grammer

g99
2003-Apr-02, 10:39 PM
I am looking forward to The Thing miniseries. That will be good.

captain swoop
2003-Apr-03, 09:25 AM
snip

?Dead Lawyers. DreamWorks Television (Steven Spielberg Presents Taken) produces this one-hour series, about hotshot defense attorney Jimmy Quinn, who is run over by a bus and finds himself in a law firm composed of unscrupulous lawyers who must return from the dead to redeem themselves by defending everyone they screwed when they were alive?pro bono! The Zanuck Company and DreamWorks Television executive produce. Christopher Murphey and Andy Lieberman came up with the story, with a script by Murphey. The series will be distributed by USA Cable Entertainment, a unit of Vivendi Universal Entertainment, which also owns SCI FI and SCIFI.COM.

?The Divide. This mystery series centers on a bogus radio psychic who discovers that his abilities are real when he is visited by the ghost of his twin sister. With the aid of a coroner, the team solves crimes. Lions Gate produces, with Stan Brooks executive producing from a script by Frank Military and Dean White.

These two sound like the old British 'ghost' detective series and it's recent remake Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)

sorry, edit of spelling.

Psy-Fi Channel indeed.

Ba Witda
2003-Apr-03, 02:47 PM
How many of these shows are still on the site after April Fools?

Alan
2003-Apr-03, 02:53 PM
How many of these shows are still on the site after April Fools?

They can be found on their "News" page, SciFi Wire, and they are still there.

Ba Witda
2003-Apr-03, 02:58 PM
Ba's gonna need a bigger smiting stick.

dmcco01
2003-Apr-09, 08:21 PM
It looks like, all this time, Bonnie Hammer was ashamed of working in the science fiction business (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/112396_tv14.shtml). How the poor thing must have suffered!

"Before getting defensive, Sci Fi fans, dial back the memory to six years ago.... The biggest celebrities Sci Fi could get were the likes of Parker Stevenson, and its biggest coup was scoring episodes of classic "Star Trek" with additional footage and narration by William Shatner."

They say this like the uncut Trek episodes with cast interviews were a BAD thing. I guess that tells you a lot about the powers that be at Sci Fi now.

R.A.F.
2003-Apr-16, 03:15 PM
Did anyone here happen to catch Tuesday Declassified last night on scifi? Same old, tired shows about aliens and such. Watched it for about 5 minutes then had to turn it off before I kicked my TV. Just another of the many reasons why I can't watch the SciFi channel anymore.

tracer
2003-Apr-16, 03:25 PM
"Before getting defensive, Sci Fi fans, dial back the memory to six years ago.... The biggest celebrities Sci Fi could get were the likes of Parker Stevenson, and its biggest coup was scoring episodes of classic "Star Trek" with additional footage and narration by William Shatner."

They say this like the uncut Trek episodes with cast interviews were a BAD thing. I guess that tells you a lot about the powers that be at Sci Fi now.
I read that statement not as an implication that the ST:TOS episodes with cast interviews were a BAD thing, but that the that the ST:TOS episodes with cast interviews were very INEXPENSIVE things -- i.e. that they were describing the Sci Fi Channel's lack of budget, not its lack of quality.

g99
2003-Apr-16, 08:31 PM
Back a few years ago Sci-Fi actually tried to have quality programming. The Start of Farscape, The Jules verne show, and a host of other great one or two season shows.

But i think the decline was when they started to make their own Sliders shows and movies. Than they seemesd to only want to make money and not entertain. See the latest drivel Cube 2:Hypercube as a good example.

frenat
2003-Apr-17, 01:02 AM
I know what you mean. I was looking forward to cube 2 because the first one was a great psychological thriller. Then again it was made by somebody else. Scifi took it upon themselves to make the sequel and now that's 2 hours I'll never get back.

captain swoop
2003-Apr-17, 08:24 AM
I know what you mean. I was looking forward to cube 2 because the first one was a great psychological thriller. Then again it was made by somebody else. Scifi took it upon themselves to make the sequel and now that's 2 hours I'll never get back.

Well, the only thing they have worth watching is Stargate and I get that on Sky 1 without having to pay an extra subscription in the UK.

I dropped Sci Fi when they dropped MST3K.

Asd an aside if you have Analog NTL cable in the UK you can get Sci-Fi without buying the pack, it's sent out un encrypted and if you have a wide tuning Video Player you can just tune one of the channels to it. What you are seeing is a 'harmonic' of the actual signal. Well, that's according to a pal who is one of NTLs engineers. :wink:

Odinoneeye
2003-May-21, 11:49 AM
I'll keep watching Sci Fi channel until they finish the current run of Dark Shadows. It's a guilty pleasure, but a pleasure all the same.

g99
2003-May-21, 05:45 PM
I just found out a new show on sci-fi (it seems to of been cancelled already but a number of shows were made): Now and Again. It is a show about a man who dies in a accident and his body is rebuilt by the govt. and given powers like Captain America. I feel that the show is good and the acting is also prety good.

To bad it looks like it didn't last.

nebularain
2003-May-21, 07:43 PM
Not surprising. This plot has already been done. It was called The Six Million Dollar Man starring Lee Majors.

It was good in its day (or at least so I thought as an elementary-aged kid), but that day is over.

Mrak
2003-May-21, 07:50 PM
Here I am in New Zealand lamenting the fact that we cannot get the sci-fi channel. Now after reading this discussion I must says THANKS I can get over it and get on with my life.

"Its enought to make you chew your own foot off"

It seems that they forgotten the sci bit and gone straight to fiction.

nebularain
2003-May-21, 09:47 PM
And straight to weird. Watching thei Sci Fi Channel's commercial spots intermixed in every commercial break - I think I am watching some demented form of the Twilight Zone. :-?

g99
2003-May-22, 06:21 PM
a little OT but...:

Finally! Sci-Fi has done something good! Well two things actyually. Today is a entire afternoon of Speilberg's Amazing stories marathon. A great show with decent actors and scripts.

Also June 13th Sci-Fi is doing a 3 hour premeir of Stargate SG1. (2 hour premeir, 1 hour behind the scenes)

Yay!

captain swoop
2003-May-23, 07:36 AM
And straight to weird. Watching thei Sci Fi Channel's commercial spots intermixed in every commercial break - I think I am watching some demented form of the Twilight Zone. :-?

Usualy means they don't have enough advertising to fill the slots, It happens in magazines as well, they advertise 'sister' titles or coming next week type stuff.

Conrad
2003-May-23, 11:19 AM
Ah, yes, the Sci-Fi Channel. It comes as part of our general cable package, so I don't pay directly for it. I rarely watch it since it seems to be mostly complete c**p and I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. And that series is called "Taken"? I have this much interest in it (demonstrates by yawning). The adverts for it over here in the UK were badly designed, then - I thought it was called "T-Ken" first, then "Token". T-Ken, Token, Taken - take them away!

tanstaafl
2003-May-23, 02:48 PM
I just found out a new show on sci-fi (it seems to of been cancelled already but a number of shows were made): Now and Again. It is a show about a man who dies in a accident and his body is rebuilt by the govt. and given powers like Captain America. I feel that the show is good and the acting is also prety good.

To bad it looks like it didn't last.
Just FYI, Now and Again originally appeared on CBS back in 1999. Sci-Fi ran it a year or so ago; didn't know it was back again.

R.A.F.
2003-May-23, 07:21 PM
Also June 13th Sci-Fi is doing a 3 hour premeir of Stargate SG1. (2 hour premeir, 1 hour behind the scenes)

Yay!

As much as I hate the SCIFI channel
I'll have to agree that I am also looking forward to the return of SG1.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-02, 02:43 AM
I am watching their UFO crud right now.

They have one guy on here who has been talking for a long time about this magical ALien craft that he has been working on. He was supposdely reverse engineering its components for the govt.

He talks about how the craft uses a large amount of element 115 for fuel and has a particle accelerator shoot into it.

This is supposed to be super secret project but he can bring video cameras on there, take pictures, take notes, and one time he said he even brought his friends out.

Nightfall
2003-Jul-02, 02:52 AM
He talks about how the craft uses a large amount of element 115 for fuel and has a particle accelerator shoot into it.

Is "Elerium" the name of this super fuel?

Edited for grammar.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-02, 02:55 AM
Don't remeber. I jsut remeber Element 115. Sorry. :-(

Musashi
2003-Jul-02, 04:36 AM
Heh, ellierum-115 was the fuel for the UFOs in X-COM.

Maybe he just played too much XCOM. It would be kinda funny to take the data from the game and post it to somewhere (like GLP) as info on real UFOs. :D

[spelling strikes again!!]

frenat
2003-Jul-02, 07:13 PM
They also used element 115 in the UPN sci-fi show 7 days.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-02, 08:03 PM
They also used element 115 in the UPN sci-fi show 7 days.

I like that show. At least they use it with some science in that show. They show that it is all physics and the Alien material is not absolutely needed for time travel, it is just a shortcut to it. They talked about a failed Russian program and the only reason the americans succeded was the Alien crashed craft.

frenat
2003-Jul-03, 03:14 AM
I really enjoyed it too. Too bad it got canceled. TNN was showing it in the afternoons on weekdays but now it looks like they are running it at 2 am Eastern.

Colt
2003-Jul-03, 04:11 AM
And guess what they put in its place? American Gladiators!! :evil: :evil: I love that show, stay up every night to watch it at 1AM AKST. Ramsey has so many weapons on him you could sell him in Iraq as a weapon of mass destruction, oh yeah. :D -Colt

Humphrey
2003-Jul-03, 04:40 AM
And guess what they put in its place? American Gladiators!! :evil: :evil: I love that show, stay up every night to watch it at 1AM AKST. Ramsey has so many weapons on him you could sell him in Iraq as a weapon of mass destruction, oh yeah. :D -Colt

Well it is still on here at 2 a.m. eastern. :P .

And i knew you would like him. The whole crazy gun nut thing fits you to a tee. :-)

But it is nearing the end of the last season. They replaced the hawking like scientist with the kid, so only a few shows left. :-( I wonder if they will start over again. But i have always wondered, why 7 days? and is it limited to only 7 dasy? Can they go only two days, or three?

Also technically they should have an unlimited amount of fuel since the fuel stays in the hangar inside a protected cylander. So each time they backstep the fuel used shold be replaced.

They do deal with the isses of consequences of time travel. Nobody but parker remember what happened and the first few crononauts are messed up. :-) So it shows that they went throught a testing phase. I just don't understand why Parker still remebers stuff. But nobody is perfect.

The groundhog day episode was funny. (Those always are).

Colt
2003-Jul-03, 04:48 AM
Maybe it somehow drains power from the generator in the past so that the Sphere can enter that timeline. Something I would do is collect everyones pocket money promising to give it to them in the past (thus enriching them) and then keep it for my machinations. :wink: -Colt

Humphrey
2003-Jul-03, 04:52 AM
Maybe it somehow drains power from the generator in the past so that the Sphere can enter that timeline. Something I would do is collect everyones pocket money promising to give it to them in the past (thus enriching them) and then keep it for my machinations. :wink: -Colt

A time travel pyramid scheme? Yikes!

frenat
2003-Jul-03, 11:52 AM
I believe it is somehow used up. Anything that is sent back disappears from its current position on arrival. This should include fuel too. As for seven days, they mentioned once that it had something to do with the size of a pulse they could get from the fuel. As the fuel stays in the hangar, they can only get so much power to the sphere before it disappears. There was one episode that had them trying out an 8 day backstep and another that had a traveler from 30? or so years in the future but he was from the Russian program and trying to steal their fuel.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:22 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: '

OH! Sci-Fi makes me so mad. Not only did they not have SG-1 last week, but they put John Edwards on instead of the usual 1:00 A.M. showing of reruns from now on!!!

:evil:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:25 AM
I don't get it. No, really, I don't. (The channel that is)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:30 AM
I am starting to envy you.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:32 AM
Fortune smiles upon me. Quite often, too. :wink:

nebularain
2003-Jul-10, 04:12 AM
OH! Sci-Fi makes me so mad. Not only did they not have SG-1 last week, but they put John Edwards on instead of the usual 1:00 A.M. showing of reruns from now on!!!

Misery loves company. I have dance practice on Monday nights, so I can't see four-episode airings. I waited up until 1am to see SG-1, and -"Coming up next: Jonathan Edwards"

Aaaaaaaaarrgh! :cry:

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 04:25 AM
I am in a similar boat. I usually spend the late afternoons and nighttime with my girlfriend (usually, when she doesn't have alot of work). She does not like Sci-Fi so i can't watch the episodes.

Musashi
2003-Jul-10, 04:54 AM
"My girlfriend is a vegetarian, which basically means I'm a vegetarian..."
-Samuel L Jackson, Pulp Fiction

:D

pulsar4529
2003-Jul-10, 08:57 AM

When I saw that I swore outloud and accidently woke my parents up. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! :x

Launch window
2004-Sep-19, 10:47 AM
Farscape Miniseries on the Way!

http://www.farscape.com/articles_dreamwatch2.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/cult/2004/09/06/14082.shtml