PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Shuttle Return Pushed Back a Week

Fraser
2005-Apr-21, 05:44 PM
SUMMARY: Mission controllers have decided to give technicians an extra week to get the Space Shuttle Discovery ready for its return to flight. Originally schedule to lift off on May 15, Discovery is now tentatively set to return to orbit on May 22. One reason for the delay is to give technicians more time to test an extension to the Canadarm which will let astronauts examine the shuttle for damage while in orbit. Its launch window closes on June 3, and doesn't open up again until mid-July when Atlantis is expected to launch.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/article_2253.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Spacemad
2005-Apr-22, 12:52 AM
It had to happen!!! I was surprised that things were going apparently so smoothly & NASA seemed it would make the first days of the window.

I suppose it is for the best that the flight should be delayed by a week - we don't want to lose another crew or ship - if that were to happen (pray that it doesn't) it would sound the death knoll for the ISS & NASA's "Return to flight" programme!

Cassiopeia
2005-Apr-22, 01:51 PM
Hi folks,

I am wondering why there are "launch windows". :unsure:
For a (rocket)flight to the planets it is clear: If you are too late, you will miss the rendezvous..... Why goes that also for the shuttle-flights when they have no target to reach, exept for a healthy return and some weightlessness experiments? :huh:
Is it cause there are less space-debris and satelites in this "window"? I can&#39;t believe this, causing of the huge velocity. <_<

However, all the very best for the shuttle-return&#33;

Cheers and have a great weekend&#33;

Didi

TuTone
2005-Apr-22, 09:45 PM
I hope everything goes well for NASA....if they have another ship that blows up.....how embarassing <_<

Spacemad
2005-Apr-23, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by TuTone@Apr 22 2005, 09:45 PM
I hope everything goes well for NASA....if they have another ship that blows up.....how embarassing <_<

It would be a whole lot more than just "embarrassing" - it would mean the deaths of another 7 astronauts :( , it would also be the end of the Space Shuttles & perhaps an end - or at the very least - an enormous parenthesis, to the USA manned flight programme & probably the demise of NASA&#33;

The "launch windows" are periods of time when the object we are interested in sending a probe (or Shuttle) to are in the optimum configuration for a successful rendezvous.

Nick4
2005-Apr-24, 02:51 AM
I agree with Spacemad if another ship wer to crash NASA would be left in ruins and probly shut down that would ruin the lifes of many hard working people.

To anser Cassiopeia&#39;s question about the window. The reson for this is to make shure that every thing is in good working order and the weather is good, we dount want anymore astronots to die like the last shuttle wrek.

Cassiopeia
2005-Apr-25, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Spacemad@Apr 23 2005, 08:26 PM
The "launch windows" are periods of time when the object we are interested in sending a probe (or Shuttle) to are in the optimum configuration for a successful rendezvous.
Hi Spacemad,

thanks for your answer.
To be honest: I am not so well informed about this shuttle-flight, but do they have a target/Rendezvous at this mission?
I thought, they have just to get back healthy and try different thins like the outside-inspection, etc.... but not to meet something. So they would have time to start whenever the weather is on their side.

Cheers.

Didi

Spacemad
2005-Apr-25, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Cassiopeia+Apr 25 2005, 08:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cassiopeia @ Apr 25 2005, 08:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spacemad@Apr 23 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Spacemad,

thanks for your answer.
To be honest: I am not so well informed about this shuttle-flight, but do they have a target/Rendezvous at this mission?
I thought, they have just to get back healthy and try different thins like the outside-inspection, etc.... but not to meet something. So they would have time to start whenever the weather is on their side.

Cheers.

Didi [/b][/quote]

Hi Cassiopeia,

In reply to your question - yes, they do have a target/rendezvous, the ISS. They are going to take scientific equipment, as well as food, water & oxygen. There will also be scientific experiments aboard.

Part of the mission is to have the crew of the ISS photograph the underside of the the Shuttle Discovery, to make sure there is no damage. It will be a kind of somersault never before performed by a shuttle.

Cassiopeia
2005-Apr-25, 11:13 AM
Hi again,

TA for your info.

And, sorry, I didn&#39;t know that they will rendezvous with the ISS. I thought they will inspect the shuttle themselves with the new arm. Cause they should be able to detect damages on their own - if the ISS is immediately not within reach.

However MANY thanks for your help.

Greetings from Austria.

Didi

piersdad
2005-Apr-29, 11:13 AM
just in news
space shuttle is to be launched in july
due to concerns about ice forming on the
delivery tube to the main tank

Spacemad
2005-Apr-30, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Spacemad@Apr 22 2005, 12:52 AM
It had to happen&#33;&#33;&#33; I was surprised that things were going apparently so smoothly & NASA seemed it would make the first days of the window.

I suppose it is for the best that the flight should be delayed by a week - we don&#39;t want to lose another crew or ship - if that were to happen (pray that it doesn&#39;t) it would sound the death knoll for the ISS & NASA&#39;s "Return to flight" programme&#33;

Roll on July&#33;