PDA

View Full Version : Strange object in sky

Matthew
2005-Apr-24, 10:27 AM
Around 1800 (GMT+10) on the 24/4/05 (GMT+10) I saw a wierd light in the south east. I looked to be far away and was moving in a hapazard direction about 30 degrees above the horizon for about 10 to 20 minutes. This object had lights going from left to right in a single thin line.

My first thought was an astronomical object but that would be impossible, due to its hapazard direction, and due to its motion I can only say that it was in the atmosphere. So my next thought was a UFO, but I'm naturally a bit skeptical about this. I have a photo of it but as it was a digital camera with a low zoom this object is only a single dot.

If your interested my location is in Melbourne with the precise location being:

LAT: 37 degrees 54 minutes SOUTH
LONG: 145 degrees 12 minutes EAST

If anyone knows what I should do to investigate this or knows anything about this object I'd be greatful

piersdad
2005-Apr-24, 11:39 PM
A similar object was sighted in N Z a few years ago and it was photographed by tv from an aeroplane.
It appeared several times and thus the tv crew was able to get it.
they are weird and I suspect a natural thing as they are fairly common and seem to advoid all astronomical telescope with digi cameras.

I saw one in 1947 about the time of the roswell incident
My observation then, was that it was some weird natural thing, as it obeyed general natural laws.
ie it did not spit brass tacks at me.
it appeared to zoom across the milky way at a fantastic speed and was doing a barrel roll
so to a less inteligent observer it was zig zagging
the weather was clear and it was summer

I suspect they are aberrations in the earths magnetic field( bit like an eddy current in the water) and the light is some sort of plasma that creates this eddy current effect and it can ether hover of travel at great speed.

RUF
2005-Apr-25, 07:19 PM
Can anyone answer this?
I have never posted this before, but I guess now is the time.

Four times, I have seen what looks like a satelite, ie. a small dot of light moving across the sky. It would stop, circle, move in right angles, change speed ect...
I know that satellites move in one direction, and that they can appear to "disappear" if they go through Earth's shadow, but these did not look like any satallite I have ever seen.

They were dim, and relatively slow moving (again like a satallite), and had I not been stargazing at the time, I would never had seen them.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,
RUF

Guest_kevin
2005-Apr-25, 07:32 PM
Once I saw something that sounded much like what your describing. It was hovering and zig zagging, perhaps 5 miles away at the edge of my town, Bloomington Illinois. I climbed to the roof of my house hoping the object would pass overhead. It then flew straight west over the countryside and out of sight.

I found out later it was a small plane , like a cessna, with an illuminated advertizment which scrolled words left to right from wingtip to wingtip, to be read by folks on the ground underneath. From my vantage point, on edge, it looked just like your basic 50's sci-fi flying saucer.

Bummer- I was hoping contact was being made in my lifetime!

John L
2005-Apr-25, 08:53 PM
You should be afraid! VERY AFRAID. Lock yourself in your basement NOW! If you don't have one then grab a shovel and dig one. Grab about 50 full rolls of aluminum foil and line the walls. Then mold an aluminum foil hat and put it on. That way they can't read your thought waves.

Guest_rodonnell
2005-Apr-26, 12:29 AM
Hi Supercluster,

What suburb in Melbourne are you located ?

Depending on where you are will tell me what is between you and the South East.

Regards

Rod

Stu
2005-Apr-26, 06:23 AM
OK, I've dug the basement and I have got my tinfoil hat on - now what?

astromark
2005-Apr-26, 09:22 AM
B) From your Melborn site, My fishing kite would have been in your south eastern sky at the time you made this observation, Sorry if the tinfoil tail confused you or the green lazer array in the body of my kite confussed you. Its a secret designe to fool the fish. It dident work. It crashed and burned. You will never see it again. Nor will I..... signed the sheep shager. from Stewart Island NZ.
Thats odd, there's a white van out front with men in coats and with hand cuffs. . . . Umm. . . . . . :( :blink:

deesopinions
2005-Apr-27, 03:01 AM
Its seems alot of people saw objects in the sky on April 24, 2005.

Could your object been that of the Soyus landing? You can read about the landing at http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/05042...10_landing.html (http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/050424_exp10_landing.html)

Now if I could just figure out what I saw a couple hours later over Connecticut, USA. =(

NEW ENGLAND METEOR: A brilliant green fireball streaked over New England on Sunday, April 24th, at about 8 pm EDT. What was it? Probably a small asteroid, sofa-sized or so, breaking up in Earth's atmosphere. Such space rocks hit Earth frequently, but they are seldom observed because they appear, e.g., during the day or over uninhabited ocean. This one disintegrated over a densely populated area during the dark of evening while many people were awake to see it.

Contrary to some reports, the fireball was not a Lyrid meteor. The radiant of the Lyrid meteor shower was below the horizon at the time. Nor was it the Soyuz space capsule returning to Earth from the International Space Station. The Soyuz landed in Asia about three hours before the fireball appeared.

I wrote to spaceweather.com, but they like everyone else, have not replied. Instead they updated the site to include my description, and that its couldnt have been due to this landing. I'd love to hear of anyone elses accounts though.

Grunta
2005-Apr-29, 08:46 PM
I can recall the UFO sightings that Piersdad mentions. They were off the coast of Kaikoura, New Zealand. They were filmed and caused a big stir (If I was an alien I'd be setting up base in NZ - just perfect). I can also recall that they were eventually thought to be an atmospheric condition causing reflection of well-lit squid boats. The reflections would appear, disappear, then return in another location as the light-reflecting atmospheric condition thingy moved about and reflected other boats. Sounds plausible, but I'm still going with Aliens looking to kick-back in beautiful Kiwi-land :rolleyes:

Guest_guest
2005-May-01, 02:51 PM
I live in eastern NC and several callers reported a strange object in the sky on friday night about 9pm EDT. I was walking my dog at that time and saw the same object.

What caught my attention was a bright triangular light, there was some disconnection of these flying object and alot of energy generated...it was large and probable the size of your hand if you extended it out. The bright light began to reform into two star sized lights. They were moving from the SE to NW. As the bright triangular light "transformed", the leading light appeard to turn and there was some sort of spot light that moved through the sky aimed at the ground. The two lights begain to separate and I clearly saw what appeared to be some sort of disruption to the air between the two...it spiraled (beautiful). The leading light was bright and clear and slowly began to accelerate away from the second which appeared to be very hazy as if it were in some contrail. There was no fiery tail and the object looked to be lighted internally and not by friction.

I have no idea what it was, I concluded that it was inflight refueling of some stealth technology aircraft. The no blinking lights and silence has thrown me. It was beautifully amazing though....I wish I had had a video camera with me.

WOW!!!! is all I can say.

piersdad
2005-May-01, 08:20 PM
If its not a refueling night try then ill say WOW as well.

If they are a natural thing then its going to be a very difficult task to refine any
research due the rarety-- and the lights ability to maeuver in a semi inteligent way.
even if this 'intelegence' is no better than a bar of soap in the bath trying to avoid your hand.

Corelating any observations is very difficult as for instance when rarely an object passes close to buildings
some reports are of a humming sound.
if this sound is 60 cycles in america and 50 cycles in say New Zealand
then we are on the track of a magnetic thing reacting with the local power supply.

astromark
2005-May-03, 10:38 AM
So thats why ya can never catch the soap.... electric fields of madness. Umm...

Guest_guest
2005-May-04, 03:19 AM
I heard on the local news tonight that the strange object was a titan lauched from Cape Canavral. The launch was secret! What I still do not understand is why when the stage change occured the booster continued its journey and did not fall back to earth. Also, why would the rocket be lauched towards the NE over the continental US? Now I am really curious, is it possible that the Bush Administration has orbital platform based missiles as part of his rekindling the Star Wars program, after all it is entering its third decade of development. Why ask???? I will never know I suppose.

astromark
2005-May-04, 10:48 AM
I find this an interesting subject; I am amazed at the leval of confussion regarding orbital debre or other material entering Earths atmosphear. Which is the simplest explanation of what has been reported. These things catch our attention becouse we want to conferm the egsistance of some thing that we hope might be Alien in origine. Some of the debre falling into Earths atmosphear has originated from the aseroid belt or even the ort cloud. Most of the metior showers are the debre fields of commetry material blasted from the comet in previouse passes through our solar system. One of the frequent errors made by observors is the aparent movment upward of a object. The explanation is annoyingly simple. If the object observed is lower than 40deg. then its track into our atmospheare can appear to move up when it is in fact still plumeting Earthward. Just going over your viewing site. Objects that are nearer the horison may often seem to move eraticly, this is usually just an illusion created by our shimerring and terbulent air. If you move the objects track becommes almost imposible to determin as the relative positions will be confussed with your changing view point. Try watching a air craft from a moving car. you will get my drift. (point). I would like to sagest that my background in aviation and interest in astronomy have helped me understand some of the things I have seen. I hope this has helped you understand better the things you are looking at. . . . and if you still dought me, go park your self near a busy air port at night. Just observe the dance of lights as aircraft with landing lights aproach. Fog or rain will only add to the confusion. Fast moving clouds can also upset what might appear to be normal, good luck.

Jakenorrish
2005-May-04, 02:06 PM
Rubbish JohnL, tin foil will never work as we know they have 'Penetrating Reactive Information Collecting Killer Systems'. I'm terrified!

piersdad
2005-May-04, 08:04 PM
These things catch our attention becouse we want to conferm the existance of some thing that we hope might be Alien in origine
exactly astromark
as humans we silently wish we were not alone in the universe.
Hence the gradual evolving of the alien 'observations' with big eyes and humanoid features.
This wish gets in the way of actual scientific research as what we see and what we think was seen can get confused.
in all the observations I have read about no 'out of this worlds' original information has been reported.
Every thing suggests a natural scource and if we were able to separate the truth from the wishfull thinking we may just get to find out what that dancing light was.

John L
2005-May-05, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Guest_guest@May 3 2005, 09:19 PM
I heard on the local news tonight that the strange object was a titan lauched from Cape Canavral. The launch was secret! What I still do not understand is why when the stage change occured the booster continued its journey and did not fall back to earth. Also, why would the rocket be lauched towards the NE over the continental US? Now I am really curious, is it possible that the Bush Administration has orbital platform based missiles as part of his rekindling the Star Wars program, after all it is entering its third decade of development. Why ask???? I will never know I suppose.
Simple answer is that it was a satellite being sent into a polar orbit.

antoniseb
2005-May-05, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Guest_guest@May 4 2005, 03:19 AM
is it possible that the Bush Administration has orbital platform based missiles as part of his rekindling the Star Wars program, after all it is entering its third decade of development.
Here's a couple of points to keep in mind:
1. Rule seven says we don't talk politics here, just astronomy.
2. "Star Wars", or the Strategic Defense Initiative, is a funded ongoing project using ground-based intercepters, and is controversial for both high price and lack of effectiveness so far.
3. The missile that was launched was a more than 30 year old Titan, which doesn't have the lift capacity to orbit a missile launching platform.

John L
2005-May-06, 02:03 PM
I would like to further add that objects as small as several centimeters across are actively tracked by several nations with objects in orbit to ensure that no known pieces of debris will collide with any of the active and very expensive satellites in space. The world would know very quickly if an orbital missile platform was in orbit.

Guest_guest
2005-May-07, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by John L+May 5 2005, 06:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (John L @ May 5 2005, 06:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guest_guest@May 3 2005, 09:19 PM
I heard on the local news tonight that the strange object was a titan lauched from Cape Canavral. The launch was secret&#33; What I still do not understand is why when the stage change occured the booster continued its journey and did not fall back to earth. Also, why would the rocket be lauched towards the NE over the continental US? Now I am really curious, is it possible that the Bush Administration has orbital platform based missiles as part of his rekindling the Star Wars program, after all it is entering its third decade of development. Why ask???? I will never know I suppose.
Simple answer is that it was a satellite being sent into a polar orbit. [/b][/quote]
I am almost certain you are right. But, it did some funky manuvers during the stage deployment I witnessed....it was incredible. I still do not know what happened to the booster, it seems to me that it would hit land somewhere, perhaps the artic, but it still had quite a ways to go after the separation. But, I have no idea how high it was when separation occured.

astromark
2005-May-08, 09:32 AM
It would seem to me that there is always an explanation. Its just that we some times dont have all the information requiered to draw the correct conclusion all of the time. Given all the facts it is vital for the information to be unblemished by emotive retorect. . Whew&#33;

empire
2005-May-09, 03:32 AM
;) hello I live in brisbane on saturday I saw a ufo with my binocs circle of yello lights with one dark red light, I then lost it and saw to the right this weird round object looked like a mini moon with bursts of gas or something coming out from it in all angles about 5 seconds between bursts, anyone hear anything or see it about the size of a ten cent peice without binocs .

astromark
2005-May-09, 10:11 AM
In order to answer this ( Its not a question )I would like a lot more information. This sort of statment always invites coment from anybody with an interest in things astronomical. I have no idea what you saw. . , but. From the information you have provided I have this to say.
It could have been the sun.
From behind clouds the sun can look odd.
Had you been drinking.
Drunk people see odd things.
What were the conditions.
You provide us with nothing.
Have you seen anything like this before.
Was it low, high, moving fast , slow, near, fare,
could you discern detail, colour, size, and hight.
Knowing if its high altadude or lower atmosphear makes a diferance.
and finaly. . . Why tell anyone. I wouldentive.
As you can see, I dont baleave a word of it.
So go on, convince me I am wrong. I would like to be.
This may be interpreted as insolting and personal. Please dont think of it that way. I just dont have the skills to express myself any other way.

2005-May-09, 09:48 PM
I was not drunk I was outside with my daughter laying on the ground. the one that looked like a moon was exactly like looking at a mini moon it looked like a natural object but the spurts were at regular intervals I dont know how high it was but you could quite clearly see it there were no clouds in the sky and it was about 2 pm saturday afternoon and i could see the sun.
I don&#39;t need you to believe me I was wondering if anyone else saw it. nobody else believes me either why because noone believes what they dont see themselves.
Everyone I have told just looks at me and they dont have anything to say my sister inlaw said that there were meteor showers that day, this had no tail and was moving slowly. if none of you know what it could be then by all means have fun with your wanky little i don&#39;t believe you jokes.
I am just trying to find answers.

John L
2005-May-09, 09:54 PM
Guest,

Sounds like a pleasure hot air balloon. Those operate by filling the balloon with hot gas from a burner. To maintain altitude they need to regularly add more hot gas by firing off the burner. Depending on the material of the balloon, its colors and opacity, you can get some fairly odd looking effects each time the burner is fired. The shape of them can vary from the conventional looking hot air balloons to some fairly odd custom shapes.

If you think I&#39;m wrong then I&#39;d seriously consider the aluminum foil hats mentioned above. :P

2005-May-09, 11:23 PM
wasn&#39;t a balloon I know what they look like.

It was big enough for any idiot to see, and it was almost exactly like the moon in everyway the colour was white with texture like the moon except it was a third of the size.
And I don&#39;t want anyone to believe me, I just can&#39;t understand why I seem to be the only one who saw it.
Is there some sort of organization that watches the sky every day and keeps a record or not thats all I want to know now.

and your so funny with the foil hat. ha ha ha :lol: :P :lol:

astromark
2005-May-10, 10:37 AM
We dont know what you saw. Nor do you.
If it was some thing of signifacance, do you think other people might have seen it? Why has it not been on the news?
There will be a simple explanation for what you have seen. Keep looking. , and good on ya for telling us. Dont jump to conclousions that tend to make people look at you funny. It may have been a weather balloon, ascending or descending, they still use them, and light shinning on or reflecting off them could look odd.

John L
2005-May-10, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Guest@May 9 2005, 05:23 PM
wasn&#39;t a balloon I know what they look like.

It was big enough for any idiot to see, and it was almost exactly like the moon in everyway the colour was white with texture like the moon except it was a third of the size.
There are standard pleasure hot air balloons, and there are custom balloons. I&#39;ve seen them take the shapes of peoples heads, animals, company logos, and I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if someone had one made to look like the Moon. That is the ONLY thing that comes to mind as a man-made object that would fit your description.

And here&#39;s another thought. Was it the Moon? Some people don&#39;t realize that the Moon can be visible at any time of the day or night. As long as it is not too close to the Sun&#39;s position in the sky it can be clearly visible in the daytime, and depending on nearby references it may appear, through tricks light through the atmosphere or through tricks of the mind, to be smaller or larger than normal. This is especially true just before and after a Full Moon when it is close to the horizon at sunset or sunrise.

astromark
2005-May-10, 07:35 PM
Your question; Is there an organized group looking at the sky. We are called astronomers. and yes we keep a lot of information for detailed study.
As you seem to think you were alone in viewing this thing, dont you think that the explanation might be that your interpretation of what you could see is ascew. Others might have seen it and dismissed it as the Moon or Venus. Objects near the horision often appear larger than they are.

John L
2005-May-10, 10:08 PM
Furthermore on observers of the sky, your national air traffic control system, and your nation&#39;s military both maintain a constant monitor on your nation&#39;s airspace.

2005-May-11, 12:16 AM
:o I&#39;m sorry I wasn&#39;t aware this was a childrens forum.

astromark
2005-May-11, 10:37 AM
To have a child like mind is an asset. If your intention was to insult, you missed.
To be child like is to have the inocence of a child,
The enquiring mind of youth,
Constantly searching for new adventure and information.
Uncorupted by the realities of life.
Oh to be a child again. . .
Go back through this topic, . read it all. We are being constructive.
What do you think you saw?

Relmuis
2005-May-12, 03:18 PM
Some or all of these unidentified objects may be animals.

It has been proposed that large, balloonlike animals might live in the temperate layer of Jupiters atmosphere. If so, there seems to be no reason that similar animals might not live on Earth. If their normal habitat is above the height attained by intercontinental jets but below the height needed for an orbiting satelite to avoid the air, we would hardly ever see them.

The ones that we do see, may be dying or otherwise in trouble, like a beached whale. And if their remains reached the ground, they would be unremarkable, consisting essentially of a few pounds of jelly (which would quickly dissolve), stretched around a central chamber filled with hydrogen.

But sometimes they would explode when punctured.

John L
2005-May-12, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Guest@May 10 2005, 06:16 PM
:o I&#39;m sorry I wasn&#39;t aware this was a childrens forum.
Some questions appear simplistic, while others concern the cutting edge of astronomy and cosmology. We willingly answer all questions. We all started out with little or no knowledge, and are happy to help those just becoming interested. And, when the topic gets very silly, we have no problem cutting loose, too.

dougreed
2005-May-14, 05:12 AM
hi, I&#39;ve seen all kinds of wierd stuff in the sky since my dad took me out to see Sputnik fly over so many years ago. Some things I have no clue as to what they were. One I photographed (Olympus OM-1 w/200mm f4 lens & Nikon super 8mm w/70mm lens) in daylight and have never asked for anyone to I.D. as it was to far away to clearly see anything but 3 spots of reflected sunlight. Others that have been at night include a small circular area of stars start to shimmer and go fuzzy and dim. I have tracked high altitude aircraft with a 6" reflector at about 120x moving so fast that from horizon to horizon was less than a minute-with no sound-and yes I understand the time delay-I watched the space shuttle fly over then waited 10 minutes to hear the sonic shock wave. I have been an astronomy/space buff of sorts for many years and I&#39;ve seen plenty of satellites, space stations, shuttles, falling debris, meteors, comets, and yes-weather balloons. I&#39;ve seen 2 types- one is a high altitude, clear, very long teardrop shape- another is a smaller round, whiteish local meteorlogical balloon that is used by T.V. or airport meteorologists. These smaller ones can be very deceiving in appearance. However, I&#39;ve no accounting of the colours or vapor jets, unless someone modified one of these balloons. I understand your statement about people naysaying against something just because they were not fortunate enough to see it&#33;- "well, I didn&#39;t see it, so it couldn&#39;t have been what you say&#33;"- But, you have to admit, as many folks who video Venus and claim UFO, a lot of science minded folks WILL be rightly sceptical. There is a vast array of monitoring devices, both earthbound and in orbit, if it were unidentified by those monitoring it, you would have seen some kind of effort made to contact and verify it&#39;s identity and intent..see-ya, doug

dougreed
2005-May-14, 05:22 AM
oh, the most frightening thing I ever saw in the sky was at night. I thought I was watching an airliner falling in flames&#33; after what seemed liked minutes-but was actually a few seconds- the scene started to come together as my eyes gathered more info. It turned out to be a cresent moon low in the sky (giving the reddish orange flame look) with clouds parting in front of it, revealing a jagged descending pattern of light as the clouds moved. Very disturbing image that got me for days...see-ya, doug

astromark
2005-May-14, 09:18 AM
Good post doug. . .