PDA

View Full Version : Friends: Could have done without that

RichField
2002-Nov-22, 03:35 AM
I'm not positive whether this belongs here or in the TV section but I'm leaning towards here.

Anyway, I was watching tonight's Friends episode. Phoebe and Joey were discussing how to tell lies effectively and the fact that Joey couldn't do it well. Then Phoebe made a comment to the effect of:
"Yeah, it's like when they tell us we went to the moon." (I don't remember the exact line or what followed)

I'm fully aware that sitcoms should rarely, if ever be taken seriously, but I think comments like that could actually get more exposure than the FOX show. Maybe I'm overreacting.

At least there's great sites like these to prove otherwise, I only worry that some people won't bother to look at both sides.

Rich

Conqueror Worm
2002-Nov-22, 03:55 AM
Calm down. I don't even watch friends and I know that Phoebe's character is an over-the-top flake type. Just the kind of chin-strap you would expect to believe the moon hoax.

But that Murphy Brown should certainly resign from her profession because of the whole unwed mother thing. Oh wait, that show is old and irrelevant, much the same as any argument that expects fictional characters to be upright bastions of wisdom for our poor little children.

(edited in order to add a pronoun)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Conqueror Worm on 2002-11-21 22:57 ]</font>

Smaug
2002-Nov-22, 04:41 AM
I saw that part too. My sister was watching it and when I passed by I heard Phoebe say "It's like when they say man walked on the moon, I mean common you can see the strings people." I thought it was kinda funny. It was an unsignificant part in the show though. It's not like people were really paying that much attention.

LunarOrbit
2002-Nov-22, 06:00 AM
The good news is that it got a laugh so that at least means the studio audience knew it was a joke rather than a serious comment.

I would like to see an HB use it as proof that the moon landings were faked. "They said so on Friends, so it must be true." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I once heard an HB use a James Bond movie as proof that the moon landings were faked. In "Diamonds Are Forever" Bond finds a movie set where the missions were being filmed.

Using fictional characters to support the hoax is the funniest thing I've seen a hoax believer do.

Kelly

g99
2002-Nov-22, 06:07 AM
On 2002-11-22 01:00, LunarOrbit wrote:
The good news is that it got a laugh so that at least means the studio audience knew it was a joke rather than a serious comment.

Kelly

Does friends have a live audience or is it a laugth track?

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Nov-22, 06:17 AM
My wife's eyes got big and she elbowed me in the side when Phoebe said that. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I thought that episode was pretty funny, one of their better ones. Even with Phoebe being an HB.

LunarOrbit
2002-Nov-22, 06:35 AM
I think it has a live audience, but I could be wrong. Of course if it is a live audience they were probably paid by NASA to laugh. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

jumbo
2002-Nov-22, 09:38 AM
I think it has a live audience. Actually it seems Phoebe doesnt believe in evolution either. I think there was an episode where she was arguing this with Ross partly to highlight that Ross always had to be right.
Its the one where Mr Heckles Dies:

Ross: "You don't believe in evolution?"
Phoebe: "I don't know, it's just, you know -- monkeys, Darwin, it's a nice story, but I think it's just a little too easy."

Phoebe: "Okay, don't get me started on gravity."
Ross: "You uh, you don't believe in gravity?"
Phoebe: "Well, it's not that I don't believe in it, it's just, like, you know, lately I get the feeling that I'm not being pulled down so much as I'm being pushed."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jumbo on 2002-11-22 04:39 ]</font>

Jim
2002-Nov-22, 01:45 PM
Live audience, but their reactions can be "digitally enhanced."

ToSeek
2002-Nov-22, 04:13 PM
On 2002-11-22 01:00, LunarOrbit wrote:
I would like to see an HB use it as proof that the moon landings were faked. "They said so on Friends, so it must be true." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Heck, Hoagland & co. were using John Glenn's appearance on Frasier as evidence of a NASA coverup. (http://www.enterprisemission.com/glenn.htm)

Irishman
2002-Nov-22, 04:39 PM
Live audience - I toured the WB studios and got to see the set (from the audience stands). But there's no reason they can't add a laugh track, too.

Karamoon
2002-Nov-22, 08:17 PM
One of the fastest-selling video games of all time, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2449687.stm), features a mock Universal Film Studio complex. If you manage to enter this complex secretly, you will find in one of the large hangers -- yes, you've guessed it -- a fake moon landing set!

g99
2002-Nov-22, 08:17 PM
On 2002-11-22 11:39, Irishman wrote:
Live audience - I toured the WB studios and got to see the set (from the audience stands). But there's no reason they can't add a laugh track, too.

WB? I thought they were produced by NBC. But then again WB could be selling it to NBC. how big waas the set? I know that when i visited the SNL set it was Really small. Much smaller than you think.. Was the friends set the same?

aurorae
2002-Nov-22, 09:42 PM
On 2002-11-22 04:38, jumbo wrote:
Phoebe: "Okay, don't get me started on gravity."
Ross: "You uh, you don't believe in gravity?"
Phoebe: "Well, it's not that I don't believe in it, it's just, like, you know, lately I get the feeling that I'm not being pulled down so much as I'm being pushed."

Actually, from a free body diagram point of view, the Earth would be pushing up on her. So the comment isn't quite as over the top as it might appear at first.

Chuck
2002-Nov-23, 05:17 AM
Let's not forget the other Friends incident of several months ago.

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=900&forum=4

Irishman
2002-Nov-23, 05:36 AM
Let's face it, this is Phoebe. She's such a flake that I doubt anyone takes her seriously. And it's a comedy show - they're likely doing it on purpose to be funny. "Hey, we all know it happened, let;s make Phoebe be one of the doubters."

Plus with the evolution episode, I got the impression by the end that Phoebe was just being difficult to rile Ross, and so she perhaps did accept evolution after all.

g99, it is produced by NBC, but it is filmed at the WB studios. That is rather commonplace now - film at one studio for a different network. Also saw the external ambulance bay set for ER, and locations used for Seinfeld and Lois and Clark. I asked about Buffy (which aired on the WB at the time), and they said it filmed at a different studio - can't recall now.

Yes, they did seem a little smaller than you would think. They had three main sets - the two apartments and Central Perk. Plus a fourth area for swing sets.

Conqueror Worm
2002-Nov-23, 06:01 AM
On 2002-11-22 15:17, Karamoon wrote:
One of the fastest-selling video games of all time, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2449687.stm), features a mock Universal Film Studio complex. If you manage to enter this complex secretly, you will find in one of the large hangers -- yes, you've guessed it -- a fake moon landing set!

I have the game and it's enthralling. So full of detail. When I got to the studio with the LEM I just had to laugh. But in the context of the game the studio is an adult film set, not a hoax set. Still, lots of fun.