PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Dust Devils Spotted on Mars

Fraser
2005-Apr-27, 06:16 PM
SUMMARY: Still rolling along across the surface of Mars, NASA's Spirit rover recently spotted a dust devil whirling across the Martian landscape. Spirit first turned up dust devils on Mars mainly by accident a few months ago, but controllers have refined their strategy to use the rover's navigation camera to regularly take a series of photos in the hopes of catching one in action. By watching them blow past, controllers can get an idea of local wind patterns.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/dust_devils_spotted_mars.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Gustavo 75
2005-Apr-27, 09:43 PM
It is no surprise to me that there are dust devils on Mars since the planet rotates around its axis. What is surprising is the intensity of the wind and the altitude of the phenomenon

Svemir
2005-Apr-28, 05:27 AM
What is surprising is the intensity of the wind and the altitude of the phenomenon
Why?
Hasn't it been known that winds on Mars are stronger then those on Earth?
I couldn't find anything about altitude. Isn't it surface phenomena?

Eric Vaxxine
2005-Apr-28, 10:15 AM
With so little gravity, I guess it wouldn't take much to throw sand in the air. But being so cold I can't see that surface temp would cause air (for want of a better word) to rise? :huh:
Does our moon enjoy winds? Or is no rotation a drawback?

suntrack2
2005-Apr-28, 01:17 PM
this is a proof that there is air on mars, may be below this sand like portion life may in exist in other forms ! it means this is a summer like period on mars !

sunil

Nick4
2005-Apr-28, 03:24 PM
We know that there is wind on mars and erosion takes place so maby we can find fossals sooner.

Eric Vaxxine
2005-Apr-29, 08:52 AM
Nick4 - go to

http://xenotechresearch.com/?NewLoc=marsindx.htm

Lots of Martian fossils already available.

:D

Nick4
2005-May-02, 02:25 AM
Thanks Eric Vaxxine I have seen theis before but i wasent shure that they wer real. :)

2005-May-02, 10:29 AM
It is no surprise to me that there are dust devils on Mars since the planet rotates around its axis. What is surprising is the intensity of the wind and the altitude of the phenomenon

The intensity is indeed surprising, because Mars' atmosphere is only 1% the density of Earth's, winds should therefore be less powerful on Mars.

Cheers.