PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Flip

ChromeStar
2005-Apr-27, 07:54 PM
Hi all

I'm sure most of you are aware of the possibility that the Earths magnetic field will flip, and has done so in the past numerous times.

My question: Should this occur in the next centuary or so, how will man adapt or gaurd against such an event?

One of my thoughts was that man could add a chemmical i.e. more Ozone to make up for the 30% (or so) loss of cosmic and particle radiation protection, by the loss/weakening of the Earth's magnetic field - Possible, would it work?

What do you think?

piersdad
2005-Apr-27, 08:04 PM
- It would be a simple task to put ozone generators on the high voltage power transmission lines.
- At the moment they design these lines to reduce the production of ozone and if needs be a government incentive to compensate for the big line losses they would experience and there could be massive amounts of ozone released.

John L
2005-Apr-27, 08:36 PM
Besides wearing aluminum foil hats, which are also good for stopping the aliens from reading your thoughts, I think we could generate more ozone, but you would want to generate it high in the atmosphere rather than down here on the ground. Maybe use large solar powered blimbs with ozone generators on board to fly high in the stratosphere releasing extra ozone.

ChromeStar
2005-Apr-27, 08:50 PM
Heres a problem.

Ozone is a green house gas and has also been know to increase your chance of dying before your time if exposed to high enough quantities.

What if we can't put the extra O3 in the atmosphere because it becomes to much of a health risk?

John L
2005-Apr-27, 08:55 PM
That's why you only put it in the atmosphere above the Troposphere away from us instead of at the surface.

ChromeStar
2005-Apr-27, 09:00 PM
Can Ozone not sink (because of it's density) to a lower level - Not sure about this, but anyway.

north
2005-May-02, 11:32 PM
i think that one aspect that has been over looked, is the fluidity of the magnetic field. the field becomes dissociated from the whole. why?

Prime
2005-May-03, 07:24 PM
If the poles flip, the direction of the weather will be east to west, in this hemisphere, and the opposite in the southern hemisphere.

Normal weather patterns, would change, the winds blowing from Atlantic, to Pacific
in this transistion:and probably severe storms, in unusual places, and earthquakes + lava eruptions.

Prime

Trauts
2005-May-03, 07:55 PM
I think one important point is being missed - if there was to be a magnetic reversal, at some point during the reversal there may be a time when the Earth is without a magnetic field (possible?) - :o OMG! If this does occur, it won't just be the UV light whch gets us (which ozone protects us from quite well) but the charged particles from which our magnetic blanket shields us. Forget about aluminium foil hats (which protect us from alien mind control transmissions) rather, lets all wear 2ft thick LEAD ones!

RUF
2005-May-03, 09:13 PM
What to do?

Buy stock in the companies that have to make new compasses,
Buy lots of film, because the borealis will be intense and all over the place.

I believe past evidence has shown that when the poles flip, there is (on average) a period of 3000 years where there is no clearly defined "north" or "south". There are "liitle poles" all over the place.

I seem to remember hearing that the increase in cancer due to cosmic radiation would only be about 1%, so I don't think it is the panic-situation most people may think it would be.

north
2005-May-03, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Trauts@May 3 2005, 07:55 PM
I think one important point is being missed - if there was to be a magnetic reversal, at some point during the reversal there may be a time when the Earth is without a magnetic field (possible?) - :o OMG! If this does occur, it won't just be the UV light whch gets us (which ozone protects us from quite well) but the charged particles from which our magnetic blanket shields us. Forget about aluminium foil hats (which protect us from alien mind control transmissions) rather, lets all wear 2ft thick LEAD ones!

actually there is evidence of Earth being without a magnetic field in the past.(National Geographic, magnetic storms) i've recorded this program.

TheThorn
2005-May-03, 10:12 PM
No need to worry. (http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/reversals.html#6)

Guest_Tom
2005-May-04, 04:39 AM
..sounds like a great excuse to take a couple of days(Years?)off work and celebrate like a druid!

imported_Thomas
2005-May-04, 11:30 AM
Recent research indicates actually that the earth's magnetic field, one it has disappeared, may be replaced by a field of similar strength induced by the solar wind in the ionosphere (see http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0404580 ).

Lindsay
2005-May-05, 04:40 PM
When was the last time it happened? Why did it happen? Can someone please clearly list the effects on the earth?

antoniseb
2005-May-05, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay@May 5 2005, 04:40 PM
When was the last time it happened? Why did it happen? Can someone please clearly list the effects on the earth?
Quoting this web-page: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...field_flip.html (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0927_040927_field_flip.html)

Our planet's magnetic field reverses about once every 200,000 years on average. However, the time between reversals is highly variable. The last time Earth's magnetic field flipped was 780,000 years ago, according to the geologic record of Earth's polarity.

The impact during the flip may simply be more sunburn.

astromark
2005-May-08, 09:55 AM
I fail to see this as a concern. So some pigions might be confused, Without being silly, Whats the problem? Will the Van-elan belt fail? Is this our nemasiss, I dont see this as a extingtion avent. Who actually uses a compass these days? With GPS we dont need it for navagation, We dont need it. Do we?

north
2005-May-08, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by astromark@May 8 2005, 09:55 AM
I fail to see this as a concern. So some pigions might be confused, Without being silly, Whats the problem? Will the Van-elan belt fail? Is this our nemasiss, I dont see this as a extingtion avent. Who actually uses a compass these days? With GPS we dont need it for navagation, We dont need it. Do we?

if i may suggest, look into the Earths magentic field in much more depth. then your question of whether we "need" the Earths magnetic field becomes obvious.