PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Wallpaper: Sombrero Galaxy by Spitzer

Fraser
2005-May-05, 05:12 PM
SUMMARY: Here's a beautiful 1024x768 desktop wallpaper of the Sombrero Galaxy taken by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. Also known as M104, the Sombrero is one of the most massive objects in our local Virgo cluster of galaxies, containing 800 billion stars. It's 28 million light-years away and 50,000 light-years across. Spitzer took this image as part of a survey of 75 different galaxies to study star formation.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/wallpaper_sombrero_galaxy.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-May-05, 05:16 PM
That's a cool shot. It kind of makes you see the ring as the remains of a Milky-Way sized galaxy that got eaten by the giant elliptical in the center. I wonder if there's a SMBH floating around in that ring of dust and gas.

TuTone
2005-May-05, 08:35 PM
That's a cool looking galaxy! Wonder how many planets are in it. Wonder if theres any life in it....so many question :(

StarLab
2005-May-06, 09:11 PM
Actually, I believe if life were in it, it would be orbiting the elliptical center just inside the orbit of the dust ring. I do not think ellipticals themselves are prime candidates for life.

antoniseb
2005-May-06, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@May 6 2005, 09:11 PM
I do not think ellipticals themselves are prime candidates for life.
Interesting. I tend to agree, but I'd be curious to hear your reasoning.

StarLab
2005-May-07, 08:51 PM
Ellipticals, as I've seen from recorded observations, lack any large amount of gas clouds...ever seen an obscured elliptical? After all, it seems that gas clouds are prerequisites for life almost all the time, anywhere (i.e. nebulae).

sam_lelime
2005-May-09, 05:03 AM
Don't know enough about the subject:

Not sure if this is true I read it long ago and I can't recal where that " elipses are the oldest of Galaxies" if life doesn't exist on it now maybe it existed in its past..
or maybe it still exist cause at one stage there was favourable conitions that are no longer.. or the type of life can differ....

Jut looking at it gut feeling. I get says there is life...

Nereid
2005-May-15, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by StarLab@May 7 2005, 08:51 PM
Ellipticals, as I've seen from recorded observations, lack any large amount of gas clouds...ever seen an obscured elliptical? After all, it seems that gas clouds are prerequisites for life almost all the time, anywhere (i.e. nebulae).
Yeah, but current theory suggests they had plenty of gas+dust in the past, so maybe 'life' is actually much more 'advanced' on planets orbiting stars in E's? Maybe they've all 'downloaded', and now 'live happily ever after' as DM objects in the halos of such galaxies?

How could you tell?