PDA

View Full Version : The Big Sleep

isferno
2005-May-06, 09:46 PM
Beware!
the following info provided by me is not healthy for those with weaker hearts.

The BBC NEWS webpage has a story now, The Big Sleep (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4515711.stm) about coma patients who claimed to have outside body experiences.

If you want to have the same experience, then you might try the following:
- Drink coffee, lots of it, to keep you awake.
- Outdo it, continueing it beyond feeling sleepy.
- After 8 to 10 hours beyond your normal bedtime period, and the sleep is getting heavy on you, lie down on top of your bed, flat on your back, head elevated above your body. And close your eyes.

This will induce a very shallow REM dream period, while the normal daily sounds keep you aware of your surrounding. Your visual brain center will automatically translate this in an out of body experience which you are actualy dreaming up while still awake. It takes only slightly more effort to open your eyes again from out this REM period then were you awake.

Side effects:
Your heart will be put to work more heavely, you will feel jumpy, you might encounter mild unseen tremors troughout your body from normal used muscles.

ASEI
2005-May-07, 12:09 AM
I drink coffee like a fish swims in water. I also pull a lot of all-night study sessions. I've never had anything like that happen to me before. :P Though dynamics and controls equations can start doing some weird things to you if accidentally read sideways at 4 in the morning. :P :lol: :D (is that a 5, no wait, maybe it is an "s", oh, duh, it's another integral. Why is it swaying back and forth?) :blink:

galaxygirl
2005-May-07, 05:45 AM
I'm also a coffee fan who tends to stay up late. I have not had an out of body experience but I do know that if you're awake for long enough (more than 24 hours) you experience delirium which isn't much fun. :blink:

Planetwatcher
2005-May-07, 08:29 AM
I have had what is decribed here happen to me, but I would be hesitant to call it an out of body expierence.
For me, it has been after being up for at least 36 hours consistantly, and as GG stated, there is some amount of control. But only if you don't do it for very long.
If you do, then you progress to a deeper REM sleep, and from there, you have a normal sleep cycle.

As for out of body experience, I am thinking more in terms of what is often called astroprojection, which I don't practice.

piersdad
2005-May-07, 08:38 AM
do it all the time trouble is i just get to a lovely tropical beach with really nice girls and lovely warm sand and zzzzzzzzz.

isferno
2005-May-07, 10:26 AM
Hey Piersdad, now that's an out of body experience! ;)

Planetwatcher
2005-May-08, 03:19 AM
But is that out of body, or body to body? :o :lol: :wub: ;)

piersdad
2005-May-08, 03:43 AM
But is that out of body, or body to body
yes well i always fall asleep befor the good bits start.
to be serious out of body experiences are another sort of dreaming though more lucid and able to be remembered.
a sort of total recall in the brain seems to occure and is able to sort
out things that the awake person finds difficult due pehaps their built in prejudices

often they will recover lost experiences and when awake remember the dream but not the lost experience and so believe they were in posession of unique knowledge from their 'astro travel'
we have yet to fathom the complexities of the human mind

suntrack2
2005-May-08, 01:08 PM
multiple experience if sleepless nights follows, it not affects the functions of hearts but the whole neurological changes may occur if continuous sleepless nights are there, coffee is good one, but it prolong sleep sometime but good for heart and brain.

isferno
2005-May-08, 03:27 PM
coffee isn't all that healthy. If I would quit drinking it today, then I would end up having 2 days of heavy migrains and 2 weeks or so of longing for coffee.

The effect is also noticeble when sleeping. Its deeper, the dreams are less strenuous, energetic.

This is even so if you drink your last cup at least 5 or 6 hours before going to bed.

It all gets worse when you drink more and more coffee a day.

As with this out of body experiment, you need at least a stimulans to keep you alert and enough lack of sleep that your body goes into REM without delay. A kind of quick cat nap where you doze but never sleep. Though, now you would be actualy sleeping, but yet awake. This also means that if you are to tired, you will only experience consciously the shutting down of your neurological activity, or the falling asleep moment.

suntrack2
2005-May-14, 04:04 PM
no isferno, i am not talking about to increase the mugs of coffee daily, but sometime coffee gives a charm to the cns(central nervous system), and it is depend upon how we immediately feels that experience of charmful. for a good sleep there is one important and very common thing and that is : go early to bed, and try to read for 5-10 minutes on the bed either a newspaper or old novel, so that your eyes will not support to the reading it will soon start shut and you will get the sleep. there is a great science of sleep, some people have habbit to walk in the sleep, some people have habit to murmur in the slip, some are vizzzz....in the sleep, they create big noise and some time it is disturbing to the companions or the family members. in short good diet, evining dinner must be lighter and short so that gasses will not errupts and it will not affect the sleep, sometime gasses create headaches, plan for yoga better early in the morning, and don't sleep in the day time so that people can sleep well. and finally drink more water from the copper pot in the day to avoid headache.

sunil

BlackStar
2005-May-15, 07:58 AM
I can totally understand people laughing off this idea. But if one experiences an OBE for themself, it is no longer a laughing matter, but a very real & profound personal event. It is not a "dream".

isferno
2005-Aug-24, 07:05 PM
wow, science is catching up too on O.B.E.s

Link to article (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/08/050824080329.htm)