PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Audio: Amateurs Help Find a Planet

Fraser
2005-May-25, 08:31 PM
SUMMARY: Professional astronomers have got some powerful equipment at their disposal: Hubble, Keck, and Spitzer, just to name a few. But many discoveries rely on the work of amateurs, using equipment you could buy at your local telescope shop. And recently, amateurs helped discover a planet orbiting another star 15 thousand light-years away. Grant Christie is an amateur astronomer from Auckland New Zealand, and is part of the team that made the discovery.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/audio_microlens_planet.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

dmccarroll
2005-May-26, 04:01 PM
I think it is great that these planets are being discovered. I think that it is just a matter of time before the sensativity of the instruments and the skills of the observer are fine tuned enough to discover and observe terrestrial type planets. There are enough stars out there that are close to ours in magnatude, size and makeup, that there should be extra-terrestrial planets associated with them. At least it is mathematically feasable.

alfchemist
2005-May-27, 04:52 AM
Thank you, Fraser, for the transcript! That's very nice. We don' usually have audio access.

This is a great news for amateurs! I noticed though that this requires knowledge in photometry or at least making light curves. Btw, does anyone know the characteristic lightcurve from microlensing? Are there catalogues of microlensing?