PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Mysterious Spot on Titan Puzzles ...

Fraser
2005-May-26, 05:18 PM
SUMMARY: Cassini has turned up an unusual "hotspot" on Titan that astronomers don't have an explanation for... yet. The 483-km (300-mile) wide region can been seen in both visible light and infrared. This spot could be from an asteroid impact, cryovolcanism, or some kind of atmospheric process - maybe a crater is holding clouds in place, or unusual materials on the surface. Cassini will visit Titan during its nighttime in July, 2006, and view the region again in infrared to see it it's actually hot.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/mystery_spot_titan.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

om@umr.edu
2005-May-26, 05:35 PM
This is an interesting story, Fraser, but there are a lot of unknowns.

For example, they do not yet know if the "hotspot" is produced in the atmosphere or on the solid surface of Titan.

I hope it turns out to be something exciting, like a uranium deposit on Titan's surface.

With kind regards,

Oliver
http://www.umr.edu/~om

StarLab
2005-May-26, 06:03 PM
to see it it's actually hot Uh-oh...typo!

2005-May-26, 08:03 PM
Something like a huge cryovolvano I expect- the size of West Virginia apparently.

Sounds like a shield volcano on Earth, or even a lava plateau.
Except of course the rock concerned is prbably water ice.

eburacum45
2005-May-26, 08:08 PM
Logs in to claim and edit previous post.

Something like a huge cryovolcano I expect-
the size of West Virginia apparently.

Sounds like a shield volcano on Earth, or even a lava plateau.
Except of course the rock concerned is probably water ice.

Guest_Markmus
2005-Jul-16, 08:26 AM
A long shot from my point of wiew is that it is a crater from a meteor impact and that the colour comes from debris either from the meteor or from beneath the surface.

Idea is that the surface or weather havn't eroded the area yet to cover it with the other surface colour.