PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Second MARSIS Boom Deployed

Fraser
2005-Jun-16, 05:20 PM
SUMMARY: The European Space Agency's Mars Express spacecraft has successfully deployed its second MARSIS 20-metre (66 foot) radar boom; without a hitch this time. Learning their lesson from the first boom, which partially locked up during deployment, ESA controllers put Mars Express into a slow spin so that the boom and its hinges would be evenly warmed by the Sun as it extended. The shorter third and final boom will be deployed on June 17. Once the three booms are extended, Mars Express will be able to scan underneath the surface of Mars for deposits of water and ice.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/second_marsis_boom_deployed.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Midnight_Toker
2005-Jun-16, 08:31 PM
very exciting stuff, I can't wait to see how much water lies beneath the surface of mars. Will these radar booms help us locate bodies of water on the surface of mars as well? Maybe some close enough for the rovers to investigate?

sedition
2005-Jun-16, 10:27 PM
Since the US is planning on building bases on the moon and water ice is of particular value there, has this technique been used (or can it be used) on the moon?

-S

Spacemad
2005-Jun-17, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Midnight_Toker@Jun 16 2005, 08:31 PM
very exciting stuff, I can't wait to see how much water lies beneath the surface of mars. Will these radar booms help us locate bodies of water on the surface of mars as well? Maybe some close enough for the rovers to investigate?

I quite agree this IS very exciting stuff indeed!! :) I have been looking forward to this moment for a very long time! When the controllers put it off the first time they were going to deploy the booms I felt terribly disappointed but after thinking about it a little I realised that it was for the best & that tempered my disillusion. :P

Now I'm looking forward with great expectation to the preliminary tests that will have to be carried out before the Mars Express probe gets down to some serious science. :)