PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: A Star in the Making

Fraser
2005-Jun-17, 05:53 PM
SUMMARY: Named after Harvard University astronomer Bart Bok, Bok globules may not be the most romantic sounding phrase in astronomy, but they are widely accepted as an important step in the formation of new stars. Now a team of fourteen astronomers - headed by Ryo Kandori of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan - reports examining ten globules in near-infrared and radio-frequency light along with previously detected data from four others, to determine how many of them are stars in the making...

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/star_in_the_making.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2005-Jun-17, 06:37 PM
In 1947 it made sense to imagine that matter "drawn together from the interstellar medium (ISM) and compacted in a small enough region of space" somehow formed the Sun and its planetary system.

Numerous quantitative measurements since then have shown that isotopes and elements were unmixed in the highly radioactive material that formed the solar system.

The imaginary Bok globules probably little to do with the Sun's birth.

With kind regards,

Oliver
http://www.umr.edu/~om

antoniseb
2005-Jun-17, 06:45 PM
This is a really good story. It shows direct measurements that verify ideas that have been plausible but speculative for alomst 60 years. It also includes some nice images of these globules. I don't think that free isolated Bok globules account for all types of star formation, as we see from the pillars of creation (Eagle Nebula) and in the Orion nebula that some star formation happens in much larger clouds, resulting in protoplanetary disks before there could be a visible Bok globule. Still, what we see in these globules is a nice piece of the puzzle of how stars and planets form. This story really solidifies it.

Duane
2005-Jun-18, 05:37 PM
The imaginary Bok globules probably little to do with the Sun's birth.

I actually agree with this comment, although not for the same reason. The evidence I have seen on star formation suggests to me that the sun more likely formed in a larger nebulae, more like Orion, along with many other stars. While Bok Globuals do likely form stars once they hit a certain critical mass, I don't think our own solar system arose from one.

The Near-Sighted Astronomer
2005-Jun-21, 12:34 AM
I think the distinction is well founded, however I believe the same principles apply in extended nebulosity as in isolated globules. Somehow gravity has to overcome molecular hydrostasis...

Nick4
2005-Jul-06, 05:01 AM
I dount know this guy but i like the pic used it is my new wallpaper.