PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Hubble Sees a Jet on Comet Tempel 1

Fraser
2005-Jun-27, 05:54 PM
SUMMARY: The Hubble Space Telescope was lucky to watch a jet of dust streaming off of Comet Tempel 1; a prelude to next week's smashup between the comet and NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft. These observations show that Hubble will be a good instrument to observe the collision, as it was able to see many details on the comet and jet. The image was taken on June 14, and the jet extends 2,200 km (1,400 miles) long, and points towards the Sun. Astronomers aren't sure why jets like this occur.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/jet_tempel_1.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

lswinford
2005-Jun-27, 09:10 PM
I was confused in the phrasing. The commas on comets flare away from the sun, whether the comet was coming or going. I thought it said the 'jet' was pointed toward the sun. So is the comet coming or going and was this something that flies 'against the grain' of normal?

StarLab
2005-Jun-28, 08:01 PM
This shows how and why Hubble is still valuable.

antoniseb
2005-Jun-28, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Jun 28 2005, 08:01 PM
This shows how and why Hubble is still valuable.
Actually, you'd need to show side by side images from Hubble and the VLT, or some similar instrument to see if this image was in fact better than what we can get from the ground.

2005-Jun-29, 01:01 AM
so when will this comet smash into the earth and wipe out humanity as we know of it?
july 4?

aeolus
2005-Jun-29, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Jun 29 2005, 01:01 AM
so when will this comet smash into the earth and wipe out humanity as we know of it?
july 4?
Yes. Yes, the comet is going to kill us all. You'd better go plant a tree while you still can.

billhoehn
2005-Jun-30, 12:28 AM
This 1200 mile long plume could have been caused by an explosion of gas within the comets core. Or Tempel 1 could have been hit by another smaller comet.
Since scientist don't know what comets are really made of, all we really have is an theory of what might have happened. I happy that Hubble caught the plume and hope it worksm well in covering Deep Impact.

Svemir
2005-Jun-30, 06:18 AM
Or Tempel 1 could have been hit by another smaller comet.

In that case shouldn't NASA rethink the path of impactor?
I mean, another comet in the vincinity (not observed, dispite it's nearness) that hit "our" comet should have impact on "our" comets path.

This 1200 mile long plume could have been caused by an explosion of gas within the comets core.
It's a better proposal, but I wonder if we can measure the comets acceleration in the oposite direction (since gas explosion happened to be pointed towards the Sun)
If we can measure Pioneer's anomaly, I would say that we can measure this too.

Or is it just how a lightning looks like in space?

gofree
2005-Jul-03, 06:38 AM
Is this event an image of primodial light, is that what it looked like.

to know [it]." 1Corinthians 8:2

Nick4
2005-Jul-26, 03:22 AM
I was a little late for this one too i never got to see it actualy happen the night it took place i was at a freinds house and i was toled about it the next day. So i was watching the NASA channal and saw some of the pics and videos on it.