PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Is This a Lake on Titan?

Fraser
2005-Jun-28, 05:19 PM
SUMMARY: Planetary scientists have speculated that there could be lakes of liquid hydrocarbons on the surface of Titan, Saturn's largest moon, and now they've found an intriguing dark patch on the moon's surface that could be an open body of liquid. This photograph is a view of Titan's southern pole, a region that often has storm clouds, so it's an ideal candidate for an open lake. If it isn't a lake, the region could be a large hole that filled with solid, dark hydrocarbon "snow". The red cross in this image marks Titan's south pole.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/lake_on_titan.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Jun-28, 06:20 PM
Or is it the caldera of a cryovolcano?

John L
2005-Jun-28, 06:48 PM
It's a Bigfoot footprint... :P

antoniseb
2005-Jun-28, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by John L@Jun 28 2005, 06:48 PM
It's a Bigfoot footprint
There no scale of miles there, but by the 2 or 3 kilometers per pixel, I'm guessing the feature is about 60 miles long, meaning this foot would wear a men's 15 million extra wide.

TuTone
2005-Jun-28, 08:36 PM
Interesting...does anybody know about any future missions to Titan?

antoniseb
2005-Jun-28, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by TuTone@Jun 28 2005, 08:36 PM
Interesting...does anybody know about any future missions to Titan?
We know that none are currently budgetted even in the initial study phase.
I would expect that sometime after the Cassini mission is over, and after new technology deep space propulsion starts being available there might be some discussion of it, but I've got to think that another mission to Titan is at least thirty years from now.

John L
2005-Jun-28, 09:12 PM
I've heard ESA and NASA scuttle about a rover or lighter than air ship to visit again, but like Anton said it could be several decades before another mission arrives.

2005-Jun-29, 09:56 PM
If there are clouds then there must be lakes or seas on the surface. Therefore the dark patch could be.

raman
2005-Jun-30, 04:30 PM
Couple of questions
Would a cryovolcano's caldera be so homogonous on the image? And if it was a calderait should be full of ice which would be bright.
Isnt there another one about 5 cm lower right of the big one? Is there any particular reason hydrocarbon lakes should cluster about the south pole?

JoeD
2005-Jun-30, 05:14 PM
I think it's definitely a lake. I used photoshop and blew up the picture. Not only was I able to determine that it was a lake, but this man (http://www.manbottle.com/special/Tourist_of_Death.htm) was found swimming in it.

rathi_cool1
2005-Jul-02, 12:49 AM
Without cloud no water is possible. But if there are clouds, water is possible!If
water is present then life is also possible. Very exiting!! :wub:

Nick4
2005-Jul-26, 03:26 AM
Again the image dident show up but this sounds like a good topic to follow up on.