PDA

View Full Version : 'Moon Hoax' Topic on Art Bell Tonight

JimO
2002-Nov-27, 09:12 PM
Marcus at 'Nexus Magazine' in GB has been invited to appear on the Art Bell radio show on Wed 27th Nov at 11.00pm Pacific Time or 7.00am Thursday 28th UK time. He will be discussing the Apollo Moon Hoax idea....for 3 hours!

I think Phil and I have earned our sleep. Anybody else want to draw straws for the confrontation squad?

cigarette_repairman
2002-Nov-27, 09:28 PM
Getting through to Art Bell, like on any nationally broadcast radio program is a pain. However, it can be done. I have gotten on the air several times. In fact, one of my calls to that show was incorporated into a radio advertisement for the show. I'm not sure if it was done by the local affiliate or on the national level. Either way it was cool. Art Bell is the only national radio show that I know of that doesn't screen their calls. So if you are lucky enough to not get a busy signal and he actually picks up the phone you are on the air.

Post script: Mr. Oberg, you are a nationally recognized figure on this subject, what with the NASA book and all (cancelled or not). Everybody needs their sleep, but still, a quick email to Art Bell could probably get you a direct line and make it a real debate. (Mr. Oberg, JayUtah or Phil Plait could do more justice to the topic than a hundred of my calls lol)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cigarette_repairman on 2002-11-27 16:40 ]</font>

Donnie B.
2002-Nov-27, 09:29 PM
I'd love to, except I'd probably spend the whole three hours screaming "What??!!" and systematically removing my hair follicles.

Chemist
2002-Nov-27, 09:35 PM
I didn't know a hoax believer had enough material to be stretched into a three hour time slot. I smell conspiracy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately, I have an appointment to get rusty railroad spikes driven into my eye sockets at that time or I'd be all over it.

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Nov-27, 09:43 PM
I'm looking in to this. More info when I get it.

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Nov-28, 12:08 AM
Well, I just got off the phone with the producer. Marcus Allen is the guest tonight, though she was wondering where you found out, Jim! It's not on Art Bell's site yet.

Anyway, I cannot call in tonight, since it's way too late for me. I'll see if I can tape the show, but I can only get the first 45-50 minutes on tape since I will be asleep and can't flip the tape when it runs out. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I wish I could call in. Oh well. If anyone listens, let me know how it goes. Art is the host tonight, not George Noory; the last time I was on George said point-blank that he thinks the landings were real. I think Art thinks so too. I saw a quotation about it once.

2002-Nov-28, 01:19 AM
i guess? 3:47 A.M. 2-11-28
I slept thru that: Sorry

November 27, 2002 5:32 P.M. log on to thread
5th 5:33 P.M.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-11-28 06:40 ]</font>

mcclir
2002-Nov-28, 01:25 AM
Art Bell might have have Richard C. Hoagland on. I know, I know...he's into the alien bases on the moon & the face on mars thing but he does do a good job debunking the moonhoax crowd. By the way both Art & George don't believe in the moonhoax.

Colt
2002-Nov-28, 01:31 AM
Yeah Mr. Bell thinks that they were real. I think he does at least. I have been listening to him since I was about eight and still do. That is about half of my life. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

Bad_Moon_Rising
2002-Nov-28, 04:08 AM
Marcus Allen is now mentioned on the Art Bell (http://www.artbell.com/schedule.html) website:

"11/27/02 - Wed/Thu

Host: Art Bell

Guest: Marcus Allen

Marcus Allen is the British distributor and publisher of the UK edition of Nexus Magazine. Like so many others Marcus watched the Apollo Moon Landings live on Television and at the time applauded the evident success of those missions. It was 7 years ago after he had attended a lecture which questioned the validity of the Moon Landings that he decided to carry out his own research.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bad_Moon_Rising on 2002-11-27 23:09 ]</font>

David Hall
2002-Nov-28, 06:02 AM
On 2002-11-27 19:08, The Bad Astronomer wrote:

Anyway, I cannot call in tonight, since it's way too late for me. I'll see if I can tape the show, but I can only get the first 45-50 minutes on tape since I will be asleep and can't flip the tape when it runs out. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Hey, this would be a good time to try out the recording technique we outlined in this thread. You said you'd give it a try. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1348&forum=6&start=7

cigarette_repairman
2002-Nov-28, 06:10 AM
You can hear it streaming over the internet if you have Real Player here http://www.kpq.com/kpqlive1.ram and if you have Total Recorder you can also record the stream as an MP3 file.

It is on right now BTW
(I am recording it that way. As long as this audio stream holds out it should work OK...I'll make sure that the BA gets a copy if he doesn't get it recorded)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cigarette_repairman on 2002-11-28 01:32 ]</font>

cigarette_repairman
2002-Nov-28, 07:54 AM
OK, just heard on Art Bell that during the Apollo 16 mission there was an "M class solar flare" that would have delivered "900 REM" while they were on the way to the moon. Anyone have any info on this? He hasn't documented it in any way other than giving his word for it so far.

kucharek
2002-Nov-28, 08:38 AM
The big flare of 1972 took place between Apollo 16 and Apollo 17.

From NASA SP368, "BIOMEDICAL RESULTS OF APOLLO" http://lsda.jsc.nasa.gov/books/apollo/S2ch3.htm

In terms of hazard to crewmen in the heavy, well shielded Command Module, even one of the largest solar-particle event series on record (August 4-9, 1972) would not have caused any impairment of crewmember functions or ability of the crewmen to complete their mission safely. It is estimated that within the Command Module during this event the crewmen would have received a dose of 360 rads to their skin and 35 rads to their blood-forming organs (bone and spleen). Radiation doses to crewmen while inside the thinly shielded Lunar Module or during an extravehicular activity (EVA) would be extremely serious for such a particle event.

Harald

[typo corrected]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2002-11-28 03:39 ]</font>

kucharek
2002-Nov-28, 08:43 AM
Also, keep in mind that a flare is some kind of directed event. Even when there is a big flare on the sun, it's radiation must also be directed towards Earth to cause serious effects.

More info about flares can be found at http://www.spaceweather.com/

A NASA report "Astronaut Protection From Solar Event of August 4, 1972" is at http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/ltrs/PDF/1997/tp/NASA-97-tp3643.pdf

Harald

[link to techreport added]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2002-11-28 03:48 ]</font>

cigarette_repairman
2002-Nov-28, 08:52 AM
Good information Harald, thanks.

mcclir
2002-Nov-28, 10:24 AM
Marcus Allen was very slick on the Art Bell show tonight. Art Bell doesn't know enough about the Apollo program to challenge him. He should have had someone on to counter Mr. Allen's theories.

Mr. Allen's main talking point was radiation. He wanted to know how all the film wasn't ruined going through the Van Allen Belts. He said they had no protection. Asked about why the Soviets didn't blow the whistle if the moonlandings were faked. Mr Allen's answer was that the Soviet space program was in such bad shape after Korolev's death that the US was able to fool them.

Another theory Mr. Allen had was that the US could bounce a signal off the moon and it could be picked up by ground stations as though it were coming from the astronauts on the moon. He said that this had newly been discovered.

This I found to be very upsetting from Mr. Bell. Art told Mr. Allen that he had asked Edgar Mitchell what he remembered from the moon. He said that Edgar Mitchell thought of it more as a dream. That he really didn't remember a lot. Art said he thought that was a very strange answer coming from Dr. Mitchell. Art went on about the astronauts having had a lot of problems when they came back from the moon such as divorce & alcoholism. He seems to believe that these problems could come from some sort of guilt.

I think that because Mr. Allen was not challenged he made sense to a lot of people. Even to Art Bell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mcclir on 2002-11-28 06:51 ]</font>

kucharek
2002-Nov-28, 10:28 AM
Can you give more exact words about what Bell said Mitchell told him. Then I'll ask Ed Mitchell about this.

Harald

mcclir
2002-Nov-28, 11:19 AM
Hi Harald,
I can't give you the exact words. I'd have to listen to it again. From what I interpret Art Bell found it strange that Dr. Mitchell wasn't more talkative about his experience on the moon. Art Bell brought that up along with mentioning (which I found odd) astronauts having had problems with divorce & alcoholism. I thought Art Bell & Edgar Mitchell were friends. Mr. Allen said he had met Dr. Mitchell over in the UK. Art asked him if he had asked Dr. Mitchell about the moonhoax. Mr. Allen replied no. That he (Dr. Mitchell) was a guest in his country. Art Bell then said to Mr. Allen jokingly that maybe Edgar Mitchell would have hit you. (A play on the Buzz/Bart confrontation). I can tell you I was yelling at my radio for 3 hours!!! This Marcus Allen is good when not challenged.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mcclir on 2002-11-28 06:30 ]</font>

JimO
2002-Nov-29, 02:24 PM
"Another theory Mr. Allen had was that the US could bounce a signal off the moon and it could be picked up by ground stations as though it were coming from the astronauts on the moon. He said that this had newly been discovered. "

Of course, simply bouncing signals results in something far too weak to be picked up. And it would give a spread of smeared signals easily recognizable, if it were picked up.

Re the retransmitter 'theory' --
I intend to point out in my book -- and let readers verify -- WHY this excuse is impossible. It overlooks the fact that depending where you are west-to-east across the face of the Earth, the lunar orbiting signals differ first in Doppler, and second, in times of occultation (by more than 30 seconds) as the spacecraft crosses the lunar horizon. So one 'fake source' could not satisfy more than one receiver. Two geographically separated receivers would be enough to unambiguously prove the source was NOT at lunar distance. And that doesn't even take into account the narrow field-of-view of the ground antennas, about one degree of arc.