PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: What's Up This Week - July 4 - ...

Fraser
2005-Jul-03, 10:40 PM
SUMMARY: Greetings, fellow SkyWatchers! The big news is Deep Impact, and while we're waiting we'll view the "Cat's Eye". With New Moon this week, there will be plenty of opportunities to check out the cometary action as well as some very unusual star clusters. As the week ends, be sure to enjoy the picturesque twilight as the Moon returns to join the planetary show. It's time to open your eyes to the skies, because...

Here's what's up!

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/whatsup_july4_2005.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

om@umr.edu
2005-Jul-04, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Jul 3 2005, 10:40 PM
The big news is Deep Impact ...

Unfortunately, Fraser, the Deep Impact event seems to be more about public ralations (PR) for NASA than about advancing our understanding of the solar system.

With kind regards,

Oliver
http://www.umr.edu/~om

TheAstronomer
2005-Jul-04, 06:16 PM
Greetings!

I, for one, am eternally grateful for all the public relations that NASA has allowed on the Deep Impact project. They have provided me with teaching materials from the time of concept and have sent their support in handouts for the general public right up until the last minute! (can you image a giant such as JPL/NASA taking the time to priority mail a small no-where observatory additional materials at the last second to cover public interest?)

In doing research for an article about cometary dust properties, no one was more free or willing to share the scientific knowledge than the folks at NASA. As busy as the scientists were, they took the time to respond to a very ordinary and average person's request, and that's not just PR... That's caring.

Unfortunately, I live in the east where I was unable to watch the moment of impact through the Observatory scope, but thanks to NASA television, I could sit in stunned silence as we watched the impactor head for Tempel 1 and relay it's information. 10 feet from the television screen sat a computer monitor watching the comet from Kitt Peak, but the glory was being able to share the celebration as the mission became a success on live TV!!

While it may seem more like a PR move to some, I can tell you with the utmost confidence that as the scientific information comes back and is validated, that it will be shared with even the most ordinary of folks. The project managers will share with us - and we will share with the public. It will be years before we fully grasp and understand all the information relayed by the scientific equipment, but I can sit on the edge of my seat for a long time!

These are just my personal opinions, of course... ;)

Still celebrating,

~Tammy

piersdad
2005-Jul-04, 07:33 PM
I am sure that the P R from nasa will be seen by some young student and he/she will say to themselve that what i want to do with my future.
I only wish I was just getting out of college now as I am sure I would like to start again and join in with some of todays incredible scientific projects.

as one of the team said " we get paid to have this much fun"

Nick4
2005-Jul-26, 03:57 AM
Im going to have to check this out i have never seen the cats eye throug my telescope.