PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Audio: Summer at the Lake... on Titan

Fraser
2005-Jul-05, 06:35 PM
SUMMARY: Ah, summer. Long relaxing days spent at the lake, just swimming, fishing, and enjoying the scenery. Think you can only enjoy lakes here on Earth? Well, think again. NASA's Cassini spacecraft might have turned up a lake on Titan, Saturn's largest moon. It might not be the kind of lake you're used to though. The average temperature on Titan is only a hundred degrees above Absolute Zero, so it's probably a lake of liquid hydrocarbons. Carolyn Porco is the leader on the imaging team on the Cassini mission to Saturn and the director for the Center of Imaging Operations at the Space
Science Institute in Boulder, Colorado. That's where the images from Cassini are processed and released to the public.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/audio_summer_lake_titan.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Guest_Adam
2005-Jul-06, 01:01 AM
What would the color of the lake like?

Are they sort of fuel like cooking gas under normal temperature?

Willy Logan
2005-Jul-07, 01:01 PM
I biked past the building of the space imaging institute inside for years before I realized what was inside. For being known as a counterculture town, Boulder has its share of high-tech. I find it amazing that a company from my home town is working on a deep space project.

-Willy

ickyicky1959
2005-Jul-10, 09:12 PM
Think there may be some very strange organisms or proto-organisms swimming around in this lake? I mean, you've got plenty of organic chemistry going on ("Tholins"), energy sources and a solvent in the form of a lake. What more does life need?