PDA

View Full Version : Rocket launch last sunday sucess!

tater1337
2005-Jul-14, 01:03 PM
boy I am too tired to tell, just go Here (http://mars-rocketry.com/v-web/gallery/album42)

I am the guy in the yellow shirt

aeolus
2005-Jul-14, 02:33 PM
Pictures do tell a thousand words each, but not always the right words...when you're not so tired anymore, do tell a bit about the launch:

How many people
How many rockets
Biggest rocket
Highest altitude
etc

and any other fun stuff that might be of interest.

why?
2005-Jul-15, 04:24 AM
Neat photos! I'd love to hear about the details as well! What kind of altitude did you get? What kind of fuel were you using? Wish I had the time to take rocketry up as a hobby . . . but between the job, graduate school and single parenting - well . . . ~:?)

tater1337
2005-Jul-15, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by aeolus@Jul 14 2005, 02:33 PM
Pictures do tell a thousand words each, but not always the right words...when you're not so tired anymore, do tell a bit about the launch:

How many people

ummmm. me, zak,lisa,al,austin, andy, bob, bobs daughter,bobs wife. plus others(see below)

How many rockets

lots. was very hot so we didn't launch as fast as we could have. moderately stiff breeze so we took a lot of time recovering. 90+ degree heat.

Biggest rocket

define "big" :)
bobs USR tall tail 10 was 10ft x 3 inches
andys red LOC Prescision warloc is 4.5ft x 8 inches
zaks scratchbuild moneypit 8ft x 4 inches

Highest altitude

Didnt record, but our FAA and military launch waivers had a max ceiling of 7500 AGL. I am pretty sure we hit 3000ft with some. most over 2000.

altitude is a factor of engine size vs rocket size. we designed ours to fly between 2-3000 ft in order to reliably get them back in our smaller launch fields

and any other fun stuff that might be of interest.
heh

this was a demonstration launch to the park administrator in order to gain permission to use this park for a launch field in the future. currently our largest launch field limits us to how big of engines we can fly. we use commercially made rocket engines and kit or scratchbuilt rockets (yes, we be rocket scientists)

parkadmin was to arive about 3 hours after we started. he forgot to inform the others in the park we'd be flying. had a visit with his coworker who showed up wondering what was going on. after he confirmed our story, he watched quite a few of the birds fly. when the admin showed up, a sheriff deputy arrived at the same time, and both were flat out amazed at where the hobby has gone in the past few years.

we got permission for future flights. we can now start on working on bigger rockets and bigger engines. the site is located midway between 3 clubs that tend to fly big rockets like this. the site is freaking HUGE!

also looks like it might be an ideal testing ground for some scaled down prototypes I've been thinking of.....

why?
2005-Jul-15, 04:26 PM
I assume they were all solid fuel? What's involved in a liquid fuel model? Do they have such creatures? Does they permit cost? I have lots of questions as you can see. Any info you care to share on this would be facinating to me.

Thanks