PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Malfunctioning Fuel Gage Delays ...

Fraser
2005-Jul-14, 04:13 PM
SUMMARY: The return to flight launch of the space shuttle Discovery was delayed Wednesday when a faulty fuel gage failed a prelaunch check. The shuttle actually has four of these sensors for redundancy, but they all need to be working for the shuttle to get cleared for launch. The launch window has been pushed back to Saturday, July 16 at 1940 UTC (2:40 pm EDT). When it finally gets off the ground, Discovery will deliver supplies to the International Space Station and test new safety procedures developed for the Return to Flight.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/shuttle_return_rescheduled.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

piersdad
2005-Jul-14, 07:08 PM
If the hydrogen fuel runs out befor the oxygen then the liquid oxygen will have no fuel to burn and the rocket motors will just burn them selves instead

a very nasty sort of happening so early shut down due to sensor failure or no shut down due to loss of fuel is a scary thing

tater1337
2005-Jul-14, 10:28 PM
I predicted that the shuttle would be delayed (yet again). I should have posted so here.

anyway, I wonder what is going to happen when (ok, IF) the shuttle does not launch this year?

I know some people are ready to give up the whole space program a give the money away to those who don't have enough to eat and won't bother trying to work for themselves, AND I know the population at large aint happy about the way the space program is going regardless.

Then there are other people who think the shuttle should be retired early and all of NASA's budget should be given to space visionaries like burt rutan who are the best thing since sliced bread and can save our space program with spaceships no bigger than the X-1

me personally? sad as it sounds, I'd love to see the ISS abandoned. that would give me complete salvage rights :)

marty
2005-Jul-14, 10:58 PM
I know the shuttle has a window of opportunity to get aloft which is basically july and there after the next oportunity is gonna be september. (this may all become mute if it launches). What my question is is what is the window determined by? My guess is it's the atmospheric fluctuations. We all know the atmosphere can change by as little as 20,000 feet over the equatorial regions during the seasons and an exta 20,000 ft of atmosphere is gonna cost in terms of payload and fuel so is that the answer or what?
Here we go with opinion number 1. I dont think NASA can retire the shuttle in the near future (20 years) as there is no viable alternative in the forseable future yet. They have an idea of what they want but nobody is willing to pay for it let alone congress. look how long it has taken for the F/A-22 Raptor to get any where near operational or in Europe the Eurofighter Typhoon. We are looking at a 15 year window to get anything ready to do a job satisfactorily. That is just not good enough for an advancing society. look how fast we advanced after the Wright brothers. Things have slowed down a lot since then. Are we afraid? Is the Human cost too much? I dont think so..... Pick me' i'll go.

Guest_James
2005-Jul-17, 05:24 AM
I, for one, believe in the integrity of the US space program. If president GW says that we are going to the moon around 2015, then going to mars this century, and beyond some day, then by God's helping hand, we shall prevail.

How do I know this? I know this because I am one of the future areospace engineers. As long as the materials and the funding are accessible, then I will help build the next generation of spacecrafts. IFF materials and funding are not available in the USA, then I'll move to Europe, China, Russia, or Japan and build the future spacecrafts for one of those space agencies.

God bless NASA, the USA, and the entire world. Amen.

Spacemad
2005-Jul-17, 09:19 AM
It's disappointing to see that the flight has been once again postponed - this time because of the faulty fuel gauge that was first detected in April & apparently fixed only to reoccur now!

I was reading about all the postponements Challenger went through before the hour of its final launch & just can't help wondering ... & a chill runs down my spine!

I truly hope & pray that this will not turn into a repetition of that disaster. I know & appreciate all that NASA is doing to minimise any possible recurrence of disaster & for that they are to be congratulated & applauded.

aeolus
2005-Jul-17, 08:48 PM
The fact that a simple fuel guage malfuntion can jeopardize a mission is testament to how dangerous spaceflight is.

The fact that they were able to discover the flaw in all the millions of parts of the shuttle is testament to how much of an effort NASA puts into mission safety.

Marion
2005-Jul-20, 04:02 PM
The concern about safety is a very good thing. It's better to have the launch postponed indefinitely, or even permanently cancelled, than to have another tragedy like Challenger or Columbia.

My biggest fear is that once several successful launches have occurred, complacency will set in. The current level of safety awareness may not be maintained after there have been five or six successful flights. If this happens, another disaster is inevitable. The risk of an accident is probably at its lowest right now, simply because everyone is afraid of one and being ultracautious.