PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: What's Up This Week - July 18 - ...

Fraser
2005-Jul-18, 04:25 PM
SUMMARY: Greetings, fellow SkyWatchers! We'll begin this week by watching the dance of Venus and viewing beautiful star system Omicron Cygni. Although the Moon goes full this week, we can still take pleasure in exploring its bright ray systems. Need more? Then let's have a look at Epsilon Lyrae and 61 Cygni. Simply stargazing during the warm summer nights can bring its own rewards, for the Aquarid meteor shower is highly active. So turn your eyes to the skies, because...

Here's what's up!

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/whatsup_july18_2005.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

drfloydhaywood
2005-Jul-18, 09:20 PM
Fraser, are you living in la-la space or what? In your "Here's what’s happening this week in space" blurb, after outlining a few stellar happenings you said in part: "So turn your eyes to the skies, because" ... because you really don't want to know what's happening on the ground?

Right now you've got NASA trying to destroy itself through improper testing and maintenance procedures, pleading for new shuttles because they've done such a poor job of maintaining the present fleet, and on the other hand you've got the critics wanting an accounting on what has been going on in space in the last 30 years that warrants the cost of a new shuttle system. Isn't it time for you and your posse to get a little bit more concerned and committed to insuring that NASA gets its job done right?

Because of multiple intermittent-type near disasters in the shuttle's explosive bolt cabling the CAIB directed NASA to avail themselves of newly developed and commercially available intermittency testing equipment. NASA however, with its typical "not invented here syndrome", has steadfastly refused. Its not expensive equipment either, its something any good, field-level aircraft squadron likely has several of. And I don't think you can blame congressional funding on this one; after all it was reported that it cost taxpayers $600,000 just to shuttle these elected officials to and from the aborted launch. That's likely enough to equip every maintenance department at NASA with the technology to make these old shuttles perform reliably, maybe just like new. Imagine that.

aeolus
2005-Jul-18, 11:11 PM
drfloydhaywood;

Discuss what you'd like regarding your opinions and critiques of space programs, but do not direct any of your hostilities towards the people here.

Watch it.

Jakenorrish
2005-Jul-19, 09:31 AM
Very poor show DrFloyd, very poor.

There's no excuse for ill manners. There are discussions on this Forum about the Shuttle. I suggest you read them and give your opinion there, rather than laying in to Fraser.

TheAstronomer
2005-Jul-19, 12:08 PM
Thank you, both.

If this gentleman would have read the article a bit more carefully, he would have noted the author and known that I actually do reside in la-la land. (we just pronounce it slightly differently.) ;)

"What's Up" never has or shall never be a social commentary. It is meant to unify people around the world by sharing a common love - astronomy. Politics have no place here. If you wish to spend a starry night inside glued to a monitor discussing them, there are many wonderful areas both inside this forum and elsewhere for that venue - but I'd rather inspire you to turn off your monitor, turn off your television set, or lay down your newspaper for just a few minutes...

And behold the beauty.

Por amour du ciel,

~Tammy

drfloydhaywood
2005-Jul-19, 08:49 PM
My appologies to all. Maybe I will turn off the TV tonight and just sit out under the stars and ponder the universe. I honestly didn't mean any of this to be an attack on our beloved Fraser, perhaps just an alert that his/our universe has some problems.

Thanks everyone for the correction.
Dr. Floyd Haywood

aeolus
2005-Jul-20, 03:45 AM
Dr Floyd;

As the cool kids say these days: "It's all good." Looking forward to seeing you on the forum.