PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Build Big by Thinking Small

Fraser
2005-Jul-28, 05:54 PM
SUMMARY: NASA is helping researchers build machines and materials at the smallest scales - known as nanotechnology - to enable future space explorers. One example of this research is in the development of carbon nanotubes, which could have 100 times the strength of steel at 1/6 the weight, and used in the construction of a future space elevator. Nanofactories could churn out spacecraft parts where atoms are placed individually with atomic precision.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/nanotechnology_radical_improvements_in_space_explo ration.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Jul-28, 06:26 PM
Nanotechnology is going to play a very important role in just about everything we do, and astronomy and space exploration are not exceptions.

dmccarroll
2005-Jul-28, 09:12 PM
I have been doing some extensive reading on CNT. It promises to be the biggest technological breakthrough since the personal computer. One of the coolest things is the development of CNT screens for computers and televisions. Imagine a 100 inch high-resolution flat screen television that sell for $1200.00 US. The japanese electronics firms are already working on it.

I am interested to see where this goes as far as materials science is concerned. Perhaps new materials for space vehicles that will make them stronger, lighter and much more efficient.

dmccarroll
2005-Aug-03, 04:15 PM
Another thought just occured to me. If they could align the nanotubes properly and embed them into the skin material of a spacecraft. They could possibly redirect radiation particles away from the interior of the spacecraft. That way spacecraft could be built much lighter and more efficient than they currently are. I know it sounds a bit out there, but ideas have to come from somewhere.