PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Super Climate Simulation Models ...

Fraser
2005-Jul-29, 03:53 PM
SUMMARY: Scientists from NASA, MIT and other institutions have developed a comprehensive simulation of the Earth's climate that accurately models ocean, ice, land and atmosphere. This new model, called the Earth System Modeling Framework (ESMF) pulls in data from a variety of sources, such as satellites and ground observations. The research team will be releasing the software publicly on the internet to the scientific community so they can use the simulator to study various processes in the Earth's environment.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/mit_goddard_scientists_climate_change_predictions. html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

cran
2005-Aug-01, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Jul 29 2005, 11:53 PM
SUMMARY: Scientists from NASA, MIT and other institutions have developed a comprehensive simulation of the Earth's climate that accurately models ocean, ice, land and atmosphere. This new model, called the Earth System Modeling Framework (ESMF) pulls in data from a variety of sources, such as satellites and ground observations. The research team will be releasing the software publicly on the internet to the scientific community so they can use the simulator to study various processes in the Earth's environment.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.
What do I think about this story?

Exactly the same thing I think about this site and its forums (fora?) - absolutely brilliant! and long overdue!

I say that because:

a) I only just found out about you (referred by a friend of a friend); and

b) I've been hanging out for a multi-disciplinary integrated global climate simulator for at least 5 years!

Anyone with an Earth sciences background, who has had to cobble together, and cross-correlate different data sets (with different assumptions and parameters), in order to support a thesis argument, or simply to understand what's happening in the 'real world', should understand my joy and relief.

I'll give them 6 months to a year to iron the bugs out, and then start checking the results.