PDA

View Full Version : My robots name?

piersdad
2005-Aug-03, 02:13 AM
http://tinypic.com/9k5pa8.jpg

Name the robot

I have developed a walking robot mainly for street parades
It has mechanical walking legs and although it is not able to walk unaided it is proposed to use it to appear to push a mobility scooter or wheel chair along the street.

My main aim of this is to have as much mechanical parts visible and hope that it will inspire young people to get interested in robotics.

At the moment it has some very realistic mechanical legs that are suspended just off the ground and as it moves along it appears to be walking and pushing the scooter.
Iím proposing to sit in the chair pretending to be an invalid with a blanket over legs.
The swivelling chair will be used to steer the scooter and the controls will be under the blankets.
The robot will be able to react with the crowd and wave to any one.
All appearances will be that the robot is my personal assistant and carer taking me for an outing.

Naming it after some sci fi robot is not on as I would really like some name that is easy to remember and kid friendly and sort of describe a personal assistant robot.

Masculine or feminine any ideas fellow UT ers.

StarLab
2005-Aug-03, 02:41 AM
Hank?

Melissa?

Josh
2005-Aug-03, 02:58 AM
Jeeves.

Do you have any video of it working?? Sounds pretty cool. I want to see it in action. I'll be in NZ in either december or Jan. if there are any parades I hope i see Jeeves walking you down the street.

cran
2005-Aug-03, 03:18 AM
with a hat, trenchcoat, and sunglasses, it could be Mr Walker...

piersdad
2005-Aug-03, 04:11 AM
xmas parade in christchurch new zealand about mid december i think as well as another one in brighton(suburb of ch ch)
will keep updated and try to get movie on the web some time when nearer to finish.

was trying the arm raising today and it was really realistic with gravity assisted movement of forarm.
after 10 minutes tryout i realised the hand had turned around and the darn robot was giving me a very real fingers sign

i guess he is still a teenager
some good ides for names so far thanks

piersdad
2005-Aug-03, 07:17 PM
bender
leonard
martha

android-- male human like
gynoid-- female human like
cyborg-- human robot mix
actoid -- acting robot

and then the low level robots which sens some thing and act on it.
toaster, hot water cylinder,washing machine etc

cran
2005-Aug-04, 06:06 AM
'Steppenout'?
'Treadnought'?
'Toebot'?
'Strider'? (Sorry, that one's taken)
'Striderman'?
'Gene'? (as in Kelly?)
'Pace'?
'Nanny'? (easier if you rode in a pram...)

Janice
2005-Aug-04, 06:12 AM
We named the dishwasher at work "The Sherminator" :lol:
But something easier to remember is... uh ... Bob? ... Mr Robot...?

(Cool sounding robot BTW :) )

piersdad
2005-Aug-04, 06:21 PM
We named the dishwasher at work "The Sherminator
seems like it broke the dishes in stead

currently thinking of tredbot or stepper ( too clinical)
i want to perhaps get away from non human words like bot.
or menacing words like ---- naught
stepper could be easy to remember and friendly hmmm!
still thinking

my 10 foot long mechanical dragon was called Wiley wumble
which was a really friendly sort of name
http://tinypic.com/a0ay6e.jpg

cran
2005-Aug-05, 02:02 AM
'Robart Amblin'?

'Art Amblin'?

'Tramble'?

piersdad
2005-Aug-05, 08:15 PM
Words willy wonker (the chocolate factory)seem to stick in the memory as does wiley wumble.
thanks so far for the ideas

he is a bit over weight i could call him 'tiddly tum'

or stumble on

stumble toe

cran
2005-Aug-06, 02:35 AM
If you end up going with 'Stumbleon' or near variant, would that make Josh its 'godfather'?

piersdad
2005-Aug-06, 02:55 AM
the robot is progressing well and still have to find a really good name for it as i will be using it in a childrens story book
with the wiley wumble as a friendly dragon
the real type pictures will make the story more believable and hopfully encourage kids to make real robotic devises in stead of virtual ons in the x-box
'will-he-stumble' perhaps

cran
2005-Aug-06, 04:34 AM
'The cool adventures of Wiley Wumble and Willy Stumble' B)
'The exciting adventures of Willy Stumble and Wiley Wumble' :o
'Wumble and Stumble go to Mars!' :ph34r:
'Wumble and Stumble visit Rupert!' :D

piersdad
2005-Aug-06, 04:58 AM
thats would be the best so far cran

Willy Stumble and Wiley Wumble'
we have to be carefull that the grown ups dont see the green dragon flying though
unless they were drinking whiskey

cran
2005-Aug-06, 05:44 AM
especially if they're St George fans!

Best wishes for the parade, piersdad; a friendly dragon, a walking robot - can't wait to see what you come up with next!

:)

piersdad
2005-Aug-06, 06:06 AM
http://tinypic.com/a2599u.jpg

i believe an irish man saw two lepricauns rowing on a lake one morning on st patrics day

one very relieved irish man saw me and a radio transmitter in hand

"begorra am i glad to see you"

aeolus
2005-Aug-06, 04:47 PM
That's so great, piers. A remote controlled ROWboat. I wish I could see it in action. How big is it? Which of the two call out the cadence? :)

suntrack2
2005-Aug-06, 05:15 PM
names of robots (prospective):

jojo, sunova, novia,novatek, robumbra, steller-robo, robotron, phorob,robomars

piersdad
2005-Aug-06, 07:56 PM
I wish I could see it in action. How big is it?

Its 36 inches long and 11 inches wide. The men are 11 inches high.
it took me 3 months to work out the exact mechanics of it and the rowing action is very very believable.
The oars are controlled by brass levers from underneath the seats and the mens arms have some 5 hinge points each.
The oars move the arms and at the end of each stroke the arms lock and throw the body back and forth in a random manner.
Each side is controlled by separate motors with foward reverse independantly controlled by radio.
The levers are so adjusted so that the oars go in an elongated elipse that is slightly inclined so that as the oar starts to dip into the water, it pauses slightly, and accelerates swifty after that so that it dips into the water without a splash.
Due to the effort the power stroke is slow and the return stroke is quick.

The effect is that if you come across it in a remote pond, and dont see me, then your hair sort of stands up.
It is now 14 years old and has done some 200 km of rowing and surprised a heck of a lot of people.
Even toddlers of 18 months up have looked at them with such interest that im sure they will be thinking thats what i want to have one day and perhaps will become the next generation of robotic makers.

thanks for the names suntrack2
I will be making a list up in big letters soon and ask the judges to choose.( my 3 grand children of 3-5-and 7 yrs age

cran
2005-Aug-08, 12:11 AM
Among my daily news emails, I get the New Zealand Herald...
I swear, piersdad, if I read a headline along the lines of:

LOCH NESS MONSTER SEEN HOLIDAYING IN LAKE ELLESMERE!
"It was Nessie, I tell you, plain as day!"
Authorities are baffled about the spate of reports...

I'll know who to blame! :D

piersdad
2005-Aug-08, 01:25 AM
just keep it under your hat but i have a suspicion that an extinct new zealand 'moa'
is roaming the national park just hope no one catches it

cran
2005-Aug-08, 01:52 AM
we won't tell a soul...right guys? ;)
But, what if it wanders out of the national park, and into the suburbs..."look ma! an extinct lawn moa!" :o

piersdad
2005-Aug-08, 04:33 AM
was trying it out at home on the front lawn and a little girl over the road saw it through her window and very excitedly yelled to her mum "theres a emu out there"

Spacemad
2005-Aug-08, 06:33 AM
How about "Asimov"? Isaac Asimov was the great SciFi writer who wrote the biggest & best collection of robot stories I've ever read! One of his stories was taken to the cinema screen a couple of years ago, "I, Robot". (The film actually had little to do with the original story).

That rowing boat of yours looks fantastic, I'd love to see it in action!!! The idea of making a robot with many of its mechanical parts visible is a very original idea!!! It should capture the imagination of many a boy !!! :P It's normally the boys who are most interested in how things work & love to take them apart to see what makes them "tick"! :D So that should "spark" a lot of interest!!!

There's another name, "Sparky"! :P Easy to remember & doesn't sound of artificial! :lol:

cran
2005-Aug-08, 08:01 AM
That's a point, Spacemad...piersdad? Any plans to incorporate the 3 Laws into your robots? :mellow:

An emu? Where did that kid think she was living? :blink:

piersdad
2005-Aug-08, 08:38 AM
An emu? Where did that kid think she was living
She was only 3 yrs old and would not know of moas but had seen emus in her picture books.
a bright we girl.

asimov as-e- mov as-he-move sparky

good ideas there
sorry the 3 laws would be a bit difficult to incorporate but who knows what might happen
My goal is to get all the human walking movements into the action
and tonight I was able to work out a lever system that tilted the robots top half at the waist to cause it to lean over to the supporting leg side and so balance it on that leg.
The system would be extremely simple compared to other scientific approaches with giga bits of computer power and dozens of actuators.
This one has only one main power source( a wheel chair motor) and once I can get the action right then a very much simpler actuators incorporated in the lever lengths will compensate for exact balance.
in the mean time some of the critical links are made of wood so that they can be cheaply replaced or another hole drilled I them to change a critical lever length.
This approach is pure research and if it does not work then I have a nice toy.
took a movie tonight but too dark to see so later.
here is the latest pic

http://tinypic.com/a4msqs.jpg
my next job is to hinge the robot at the waist. The white link atttached to the wooden lever will revers the movement of the up down long wooden link to tilt the waist of the robot to shift the weight of its motor over the leg that is supporting the robot at the time
well that what i hope it will do

cran
2005-Aug-08, 09:29 AM
I take my hat off to you, piersdad...I can barely imagine it; you not only conceive it, make it real!
More power to you, sir!

piersdad
2005-Aug-08, 10:53 AM
take my hat off to you, piersdad

too much of that and my own hat wont fit. :huh:
seriously i was born an inventor and started at the age of 2 1/2 yrs
modifying toys and inventing new ways to use them.

now im retired i can delve into all the fantastic things ive imagined but had no time to do
i should get at least another 30 years out of my body so watch this space

My Webpage (http://cello.joey.fh-net.com/index.php)

cran
2005-Aug-08, 10:56 PM
My Webpage
Consider yourself 'bookmarked', sir - too much for poor little me to take in on one visit! :blink:

piersdad
2005-Aug-09, 06:30 AM
your welcome cran
my son has just redone the forum and the addy is new so you will have to re bookmark it

My forum on inventing and writing (http://www.cello.joey.fh-net.com/forum/)

cran
2005-Aug-09, 09:47 AM
>click<
done. :D

Josh
2005-Aug-10, 11:14 PM
this site might be of interest to you piersdad...
http://www.tlb.org/scooter.html

piersdad
2005-Aug-11, 05:42 AM
thanks josh
already surfed that one from &#39;stumble&#39;
have decided to call the robot &#39;willy-stumble&#39;

just today i evolved an automatic means of the main ballancing the robot as it walks using leavers only and the fine ballance with a low powered leaver fulcrum moving servo.
so instead of gigabits of computor hardware it may be able to walk with a minumum of support on a system of leavers and lightweight servos in stead of high powered hydrolics or electric servos.
possible energy consumption would be in the region of 300 watts at 3 mph.
long way to go yet estimate some 300 plus hours work.

cran
2005-Aug-11, 07:59 AM
"...we can make him stronger, faster..." (the 6 Million Dollar Man*)

that&#39;s excellent, piersdad&#33;... get the same result with less mass and less power consumption... :D

(*price does not include GST or state or federal taxes)

piersdad
2005-Aug-11, 09:46 AM
just the prototype atm built from a lot of strong materials but once working all the lightly strssed parts can be lightened up and the stresssed ones redesigned to a lighter material.
weight atm is about 20 kilos but this could be reduced a lot.

cran
2005-Aug-12, 12:39 AM
20kg seems fairly light already...uh oh&#33; I just had an image of one of your robots - redesigned hang glider...remote controlled....look ma&#33; a pterosaur&#33; :lol:

piersdad
2005-Aug-12, 02:07 AM
no more ideas cran im busy enough already
willy-stumble keeps me busy all day
any mother wil tell you that babys are full time

cran
2005-Aug-12, 02:44 AM
well, my man, babies grow up :(
...and you did say you were planning a long retirement to do all these things :)

piersdad
2005-Aug-12, 04:37 AM
sheesh need a long retirement to get all the ideas done
kids off my hands now time for robots.

ChromeStar
2005-Aug-13, 07:06 AM
Nice Bot Piers&#33;&#33;&#33; :o B) :D

tater1337
2005-Aug-13, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by piersdad@Aug 2 2005, 09:13 PM
It has mechanical walking legs and although it is not able to walk unaided it is proposed to use it to appear to push a mobility scooter or wheel chair along the street.

At the moment it has some very realistic mechanical legs that are suspended just off the ground and as it moves along it appears to be walking and pushing the scooter.

Don&#39;t.

I don&#39;t see how you wil inspire someone to go into robotics by making an illusion of a walking robot.

do the hard work, and make it really walk. even if it has to use a wheelchair to solve your balance problems, it will be better than having a kid realize that it is just fake.

piersdad
2005-Aug-13, 10:58 AM
the robot is only 3 weeks old and cant walk yet but after it gets a lot of research into it and perhaps by the time it is 10 months old it will be ready to take its first unaided steps .
my aim is to use lightweight servos to shift fulcrum points back and forth as it walks to do the ballancing instead of gigasbits of computor power it will need only pressure senser in the feet and amplifiers to the small servos.

in the meantime i will get a lot of research and fun from it.

to be realistic the concept of a robot walking around the house is just a toy.

the concept of moving a fulcrum with a light weight servo to get ballance or varying power and movement has a lot of other applications.

the bigest job at the moment is to work out all the positions. lengths.allowable play, stresses etc etc. first and get them actually working
it took me 3 months to get the row boat right so the robot will keep me very busy for a long time

tater1337
2005-Aug-13, 11:16 AM
Good job Piersdad&#33;

I was thinking this was going to be another disneyland animatronic "toy" that would dissillusion kids for years to come.

the shifting weight idea is good, although you&#39;d better define "lightweight" in lightweight servos :)

I have looked into doign some tethered huminoid robotics, in fact on ofthe chassis is sitting in a box behind me rioght now. that project is on hold for a bit, as I need to free up some &#036;&#036;&#036; to get some tooling and machinery space available. I think before i run i need to crawl for a bit and grab a motorized wheelchair and convert it to a useable R2 unit. (note: all the systems are laid out, I need to buy LOTS of raw materials, got carbon fiber cheap?)

oh, BTW, I vote for the name Golem. it would be fitting to name it after the automaton that started the whole shebang.....

piersdad
2005-Aug-13, 04:29 PM
the shifting weight idea is good, although you&#39;d better define "lightweight" in lightweight servos

light weight servo system is to have a link and a lever with a powerfull electric motor doing all the work.
then a small motor(ex 3 volt mini drill system weighing say 200 grams) and use it to move a screw thread to shift the leaver in or out of the leaver.
this will in effect make the link to the leaver do more or less pushing and work.
The main effort comes from the main motor so the controlling effort comes from a 3 volt drill motor.
what i have done so far is the equivalent of re inventing the sewing machine
so now i have to add the electrics to make it automatic.

If a lever is at right angles to its fulcrum and is pushed ether way by the link then its effectiv length shortens and a lever fixed to the same shaft which is still comming up to right angles to the fulcrum will show a fast - slow action.
this i have used in the knee action to flick the knee straight just as the leg gets to the forward position.
the knee flicking also puts a stress on the motors crank and this --as the motor is hinged and above the waist-- the motor and upper body is pulled over the top of the leg --to ballance-- at the same time as the knee straightens and plonks down on the ground.

a simple effect but it is exactly what we do all the time.

in this case the movement of the upper body is controlled by a damping system that allows the body to bend at the waist just a needle valve on a 2 way plunger /damper system in the waist hinge- will controll its ballance --left to right--

so just a small variable power to a spring loaded solenoid will do all the L/R balancing

im only 11 days into the project yet so the theory has yet to be proven

piersdad
2005-Nov-17, 05:45 AM
3 months later and the robot has a complete rebuild and is looking so much like the tin man in the wizaerd of oz so im calling it tinman

intend to use it in a local xmas parade with the robot pushing me on mobility scooter
he will be doing all the work(aparently) while i controll him from foot switches.
he is really an automaton till i get a few sensors in him
here he is patting grand child on head

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6349/trishandtinman0oq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)