PDA

View Full Version : Physicists Entangle Photon and Atom

buzzlightbeer
2005-Aug-03, 03:51 PM
This article (http://www.physorg.com/news5441.html) about entanglment of a photon and collective excitation of atoms has been out for a little bit, but read it again today and thought it was worth sharing. i find it facinating to see entanglement reach new heights... but for some reason, im a little disappointed to always find the articles related to quantum computing... nothing to do with how it happens or why....

2005-Aug-05, 01:48 PM
very good ;)

j0seph
2005-Aug-05, 05:25 PM
That was a good read, thanks buzzlightbeer :)

buzzlightbeer
2005-Aug-05, 11:00 PM
your welcome... entanglement continues to astonish me, bewilder me, and stretch my (laypersons) imagination to the limits. with bigger and bigger things becoming entangled, it seems to lend support to the idea of quantum superpositions and ultimately the existence of parallel universes. well this is all in my head.... :)

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-05, 04:46 PM
Sounds very promising. :)

Relying on photons or atoms to carry information from one place to another, network security relies on a method known as quantum cryptographic key distribution. In this method, the two information-carrying particles, photonic qubits or atomic qubits, are entangled. Because of the entanglement and a rule in quantum physics that states that measuring a particle disturbs that particle, an eavesdropper would be easily detected because the very act of listening causes changes in the system.

Wish it worked that way with certain other types of entanglement that occur all too frequently........