PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Astrophoto: Lunar Surface by John ...

Fraser
2005-Aug-04, 06:32 PM
SUMMARY: John Kalantzis took this picture of the Moon surface from Volos, Greece. John used Meade SC8" lxd 55 and LPI (Meade Lunar Planetary Imager camera).

Do you have photos you'd like to share? Post them to the Universe Today astrophotography forum or email them to me directly, and I might feature one in Universe Today.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/article_2543.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

buzzlightbeer
2005-Aug-04, 09:07 PM
nice pic! thank you!

i often wonder, what it would be like within one of the craters you see in the picture. just how wide and deep are they? i'm sure they vary, but for example, the crater above with the writing in it... how deep and wide might that one be?

thanks!
buzz

dave_f
2005-Aug-05, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by buzzlightbeer@Aug 4 2005, 04:07 PM
i often wonder, what it would be like within one of the craters you see in the picture. just how wide and deep are they? i'm sure they vary, but for example, the crater above with the writing in it... how deep and wide might that one be?
Pretty darned big! In fact some of those craters may be so large that if you sat in the center of them, the rim walls might be beyond sight due to distance and the curvature of the moon. I could be wrong, of course, since I haven't done any trigonometry to prove this, but I'm sure you'd need binoculars at least. :ph34r: