PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Discovery and ISS Will Be Visible ...

Fraser
2005-Aug-05, 06:39 PM
SUMMARY: Skywatchers in the Southeastern United States will have an opportunity to watch the International Space Station and the space shuttle Discovery fly overhead on Saturday morning at 5:50 am CDT.. Discovery will have undocked from the station three hours previously, so the two objects will be separated visually by about the width of the Moon. As a special bonus, the two spacecraft will pass close to the planet Mars as well.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/sts_iss_fly_in_tandem_over_us.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

F Dash
2005-Aug-05, 07:22 PM
Can someone tell me with a MEade Lx200 with GPS, how would I locate the space

shuttle and ISS as they pass over the southeastern US tomorrow am.

I live at the southern tip of South Carolina.

Thanks for any advice.....

piersdad
2005-Aug-05, 07:49 PM
hi go to
heavens above (http://www.heavens-above.com/)

its free search for yout town or put in your co ordinates and it will give you the space station passing times for you.
i will get a really good view tonight as the clouds just might clear and it goes directly over at 7 pm

F Dash
2005-Aug-05, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the help

The site suggests the ISS won't be visible unitl Sunday am (Aug 7th)

With a 14" scope how large will it appear ?

suitti
2005-Aug-05, 09:54 PM
Very few telescopes can track satelites. They can get you close, and you can do it manually. I'd use a DOB, and point it visually at fairly low power.

With a 14" scope how large will it appear ?

That depends on your magnification, which depends on the focal length of the primary and the focal length of the eyepiece. One rule of thumb is that a telescope can support 1x of magnification per milimeter of aperture. 14 inches is 355 milimeters, so 350x is about what can be supported. It's a rough rule of thumb, however, and depends on atmosphere issues, such as how much light pollution you have and how turbulent the air is, etc. You'd still need the right eyepieces.

APOD ISS (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050729.html)

It appears that this image was shot with a 14 inch scope, and a pretty high resolution CCD camera using adaptive optics. Adaptive optics could give him a sharper image than you'll see. The CCD camera may have taken many shots, and the best one was published.

Of course, the Shuttle and ISS aren't going to be anywhere near Mars. They will stay in low Earth orbit, while Mars will continue to be many millions of miles (km) away. They will merely appear in the same part of the sky due to apparent alignment, and then only for people located in particular spots.

While on the Mars topic, you may have seen email claiming that Mars will be bigger than the Full Moon this summer or fall. There are two answers to this. First is that with a telescope at about 75x, Mars can appear bigger than the Full Moon (when viewed naked eye). Second, Mars has always been larger than the Moon - it's just not as nearby.

aeolus
2005-Aug-06, 04:28 PM
So did anyone see it?

piersdad
2005-Aug-07, 05:08 AM
sure did
it passed directly over me at 7 04 pm new zealand time
and although there were some clouds it was brilliantly lit up.
as bright as venus and boy was it moving.
i have seen it a few times befor but this time it was a sort of orangy color,

any way i yelled out to my grand children and they rushed out to see the space ship and were unusually interested.
it turned out they were watching a cd movie with a space ship in it and that was really exciting for them to see a real one

cloudy and wet today so no sighting of the separation