PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Astrophoto: New 10th Planet by ...

Fraser
2005-Aug-10, 05:58 PM
SUMMARY: Astrophotographer John Chumack with DIRAS Observatory Team took this picture of the newly discovered 10th Planet with 8 minute exposure on the 31st Jul. and 10 minute exposure on 1st Aug. John used a 0.30 meter FL. 11.9 Takahashi Dall-Kirkham Scope and Software Bisque ParaMount and FLI CCD.

Do you have photos you'd like to share? Post them to the Universe Today astrophotography forum or email them to me directly, and I might feature one in Universe Today.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/10_planet_by_john_chumack.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

tom knecht
2005-Aug-10, 11:47 PM
pretty picture of the "10th planet" on the 10 Aug 05 Universe Today, but doesn't help without an arrow, or a description in the caption, of which of the objects in the field is the planet!!

Galactic2000
2005-Aug-11, 02:35 AM
Hi Tom,

The image is marked properly, look closely,

in the center of the two vertical dashes indicate the 10th planet , also click the image two see the two images for movement from one night to the next.

Best Regards,
John Chumack
DIRAS Observatory Team ;)

2005-Aug-11, 06:17 PM
John,

Nice photo. It's very exciting to be finding all these large new objects way out there and as a non-astrophotographer, I'm always amazed at what folks are able to accomplish with finding and capturing these objects on film (or CCD!). What I was curious about is that there seems to be a fair number of objects that have moved from plate 1 to plate 2 or, appparently, moved off the field of view from plate 1 to plate 2. They moved further than Xena (is that *really* going to be the name??), so I assume they are closer-in asteroids or other objects. When you're hunting for planet 10 to take its picture, do you have to account for all those other moving objects in your field of view, to be sure you're not missing a new minor planet or comet discovery? (ie., did you look up and discover each moving object already has a name or designation?)

Bill McKeever

Galactic2000
2005-Aug-16, 01:01 PM
Yes we did,

We scanned the MPC archives for any moving objects in the area, as well as checked for new ones, some of the moving objects you are seeing are random hot pixels, due to noise in the image, we have already verified all moving objects and hot pixels.

As for the name "Xena" This is Not the Official Name, only the internal secret code name given by the discoverers, although Dr. Brown's team have suggested an undisclosed name to the IAU, the IAU has not announced the official name yet!

Best Regards,
John Chumack ;)
DIRAS Observatory Team