PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Anti-Hurricanes on Saturn

Fraser
2005-Aug-11, 06:23 PM
SUMMARY: This image of Saturn shows how the planet has gigantic hurricanes which spin backwards through its atmosphere. On Earth, hurricanes in the Southern Hemisphere spin clockwise, but Saturn's anti-hurricanes are spinning counter-clockwise. These kinds of storms are very common in the giant planets. This image was taken by Cassini on July 4/5, 2005 when the spacecraft was 2.4 million kilometers (1.5 million miles) from the planet.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/saturn_anti_hurricanes.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

lswinford
2005-Aug-11, 09:48 PM
So the storms on earth are backwards, since more than one planet has them going the other way. ;)

Maybe, because their atmosphere's are so deep and we tend to think of them almost as if they had no solid surface, we have some lower zones, akin to our tropopause that are barriers that become the floor to these airflow pumps (hurricane/typhoon-type atmospheric phenomena). Maybe the coreolis dynamics (friction of planet's rotation angular dynamics in relation to airflow spin) work more normally in the lower layers, which we cannot see.

Frankly, everytime I heard the discussion of how that works I always thought it should be the other way around. So maybe I was accidentally right, for once.