PDA

View Full Version : wrong questions being asked...

tater1337
2005-Aug-13, 10:54 AM
I've been looking at some of the posts and am somewhat disapointed by the topics i see.

It seems that everyone wants NASA to start giving rides to everyone to the moon.

Or they think that space ship two will be the way to go.

I haven't heard what posters are doing to get into space.

that's right, YOU. In other posts, I have outlined what I am working on for a individuals space program. me. not NASA, not Rutan....me.

I'd like to hear some questions from people who are acutally working on their own space program, rather than people who expect that others will be doing all the work for them.

StarLab
2005-Aug-13, 03:05 PM
Umm...Tater, I&#39;m curious: what universe are you living in&#33;? <_< :ph34r: :blink: :rolleyes: :o :huh:

aeolus
2005-Aug-13, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by tater1337@Aug 13 2005, 10:54 AM
I&#39;ve been looking at some of the posts and am somewhat disapointed by the topics i see.

It seems that everyone wants NASA to start giving rides to everyone to the moon.

Or they think that space ship two will be the way to go.

I haven&#39;t heard what posters are doing to get into space.

that&#39;s right, YOU. In other posts, I have outlined what I am working on for a individuals space program. me. not NASA, not Rutan....me.

I&#39;d like to hear some questions from people who are acutally working on their own space program, rather than people who expect that others will be doing all the work for them.
Geez, tater, give it a rest. We know you&#39;re working on your space program. Congrats. Pat on the back. Good job.

But why must you always provoke us and criticize us for thinking and asking and theorizing and debating? Just because we&#39;re not launching cardboard rockets as "research platforms" for our own space programs doesn&#39;t subtract from our interest and contribution to the field of space exploration.

Stop belittling us.

Over USD &#036;2 billion goes into research and tourism in the Antarctic every year, tater. Thousands visit and hundreds live there. 100 years ago, though, people were going on government AND privately funded expeditions. They collected data, developed techniques, plotted maps, and more importantly, died. That&#39;s right. They, the pioneers of the antarctic, died while antarctic exploration was in it&#39;s infancy. Because of their sacrifices and trials and tribulations, methods were developed that now allow us to safely explore and experience the Antarctic every year on a large scale.

If you lived a hundred years ago, you would be talking down to those that discussed, debated, and disputed the journeys to the South Pole. What you don&#39;t seem to understand, tater, is that those people who took an interest in Antarctic exploration, whether they beleived in or doubted it, provided the support and motivation and encouragement that drove said exploration.

If they did, a century ago, what you are proposing (do it or forget about it), we&#39;d have:

a ) no bases on the South Pole; or
b ) alot of deads bodies scattered across the ice sheets.

Space will be opened up with the efforts of agencies like NASA and people like you, but only with our interest and support. Not everyone can give up their disposable incomes and free time to build body-size bottle rockets to blast into space and blow ourselves up. People like you, just as Amundsen and Scott conquered the frontier of the Antarctic, will open that of space. There will be moon bases and daily orbital launches and space hotels and many successes, but not because every layman takes up the cause. It will be a legacy of the few that do it, and the few that pay the price and make the ultimate sacrifice. If we all made that sacrifice, what would the point be of opening up space to the public? Then, what public?&#33;?&#33;

You want to hear some questions from people who are actually working on their own space program, rather than people who expect that others will be doing all the work for them? You have your own forum. Seek such questions there.

There are many people here who are supporting you and encouraging you. Do not disrespect them - they are not doing anything wrong.

For we cannot all be heroes. Someone must sit on the sidewalk and clap.

tater1337
2005-Aug-13, 08:45 PM
I am not trying to belittle you. I honestly tried to make this post upbeat, but sometimes I fall short.

Thing is, I am looking for others that might be doing the same stuff that I am. maybe I can find someone who is a bit farther along than I am and see if I can build from their experience.

I agree, space exploration needs all the supporters it can get.

but wouldn&#39;t you want to work on some thing than talk about it?

tater1337
2005-Aug-13, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by aeolus@Aug 13 2005, 02:59 PM
Just because we&#39;re not launching cardboard rockets as "research platforms" for our own space programs doesn&#39;t subtract from our interest and contribution to the field of space exploration.

A) I dont expect everyone to be flying model rockets to use for "research platforms", but cripes, it at least points in the right direction. now talking about doing stuff instead of doing stuff points one in the direction of poilitics

B) not all model rockets are cardboard. the 18th scale little joe is airspace composite, with only cardboard as the initial supporting stucture unil the epoxy for the composites set

tater1337
2005-Aug-13, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Aug 13 2005, 10:05 AM
Umm...Tater, I&#39;m curious: what universe are you living in&#33;? <_< :ph34r: :blink: :rolleyes: :o :huh:
some days, not this one :)

honestly though, I am trying to promote a world view where people do more than just talk about things, but actually go out and try to do them.

If the wright brothers listened to the people who said "man will never fly", where would our space program be?

I hear a lot of "man will never fly" posts here on universe today, and in other forums, but i rarely hear "two guys from a bike shop build a flying machine"

what universe are you living in&#33;?