PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Moon Tree near you?

ToSeek
2002-Dec-03, 09:20 PM
Moon trees (http://www.firstscience.com/SITE/ARTICLES/moontrees.asp)

If so, let someone know, though you might want to check the list of known ones (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/moon_tree.html) first.

g99
2002-Dec-03, 10:29 PM
yes there is. Here at the University of florida we had gotten one and it is still alive and doing well. It is one of the campuses greatest secrets. (Well other than the secret vault where they keep all of those pesky alien spaceships. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif)
I will take a trek tomorrow to go see it. If i can find it i will take a picture of it and post it for all to see. (unless it is copyrighted then i will not. Can you copyright a tree?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2002-12-03 17:36 ]</font>

Colt
2002-Dec-04, 07:16 AM
There are none up here in Alaska. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif -Colt

Jetmech0417
2002-Dec-04, 10:55 PM
Well, I'll be...There's one in Boise. About a 45 minute drive from here.

g99
2002-Dec-05, 03:00 AM
http://plaza.ufl.edu/sandler/images/moontree.jpg
[it is the big one in the center]
here is the moon tree on our campus. There originally were three trees. Two Pines and this sycamore. The tree is 60 ft tall and 24 inches in diameter!!! It looks just like a normal tree and it is passed by thousands each day!! And nobody gives it a second glance!!!

The tree was planted in secret so that someone would not stael it or damage it. The only identification of it as a moon tree was a article in our local student paper this year and a green plaque on it saying sycamore #2 and its genus and species name.

Here is a link to the article in our local student paper: http://www.alligator.org/edit/news/issues/02-fall/020828/b10nasa28.html

[spelling and clarity]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2002-12-04 22:03 ]</font>

Plane-arium
2002-Dec-05, 05:41 AM
Oh man! No Moon Trees in Minnesota! Or even close by! We've been descriminated against! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Or--shudder--what if someone planted a Moon Tree AND THEN FORGOT TO TELL ANYONE AND HAD A HEART ATTACK AND DIED! The horror. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

But seriously, what in the world were people doing not keeping track of the Moon Trees? I mean they're MOON TREES for crying out loud! Something unique and prescious and nifty! How could you not keep track of MOON TREES!

Sorry, this is the first I've ever heard of Moon Trees and I'm a little excited. Thanks for the post ToSeek!

aporetic_r
2002-Dec-05, 02:43 PM
This is the first I have heard of them, also. And not a single tree in WI... It turns out that I have seen that New Orleans tree several times, but never noticed the accompanying sign.

Aporetic

AstroAnimeFreak
2002-Dec-05, 04:34 PM
*pout* there arent any in new york either. although, i wouldn't mind traveling away to another state just to see one.

Argos
2002-Dec-05, 05:19 PM
I read that pine, redwood and sycamore were sent.

Well, it would be nice if the first flight to Mars took samples of the entire planet (palm trees, eucaliptus, alamos, ebony, etc). It would be an appropriate good-will gesture.

Seeds are a great symbol for cooperation, confidence and hope.

g99
2002-Dec-05, 05:28 PM
cute little turtles work too!! They are soo cute, how can anyone think bad thoughts when holding one of the things in your hand. WE can have space turtles all over the zoos!!

Argos
2002-Dec-05, 06:09 PM
On 2002-12-05 12:28, g99 wrote:
cute little turtles work too!! They are soo cute, how can anyone think bad thoughts when holding one of the things in your hand. WE can have space turtles all over the zoos!!

It would be ok, too. But trees last longer and are easier to reproduce. And they are more interactive: you can have a pic-nic under a Moon/Mars Tree (imagine teaching your son astronomy under a space tree!); you can have space trees in a stargazing park. It all would be very evocative.

And they are, well, BIG! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

boron10
2002-Dec-05, 09:33 PM
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I just had a very odd mental picture of a family picnicing under a very large turtle.

Don't the Hindu have a story of Earth atop a tortise? Perhaps g99 is on to something ... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Colt
2002-Dec-06, 04:05 AM
Some turtles can live longer than some trees. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif They should take a bag of grass seed.. Then it could spread, much more quickly than trees. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

g99
2002-Dec-06, 05:10 AM
How about moon monkeys? WE have sea monkeys, now moon monkeys!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Seriously...Trees probobly would be best. Other very long lived things would too. They are universal and cross cultural bounds. No one will object to a tree being planted in their backyard. I can't wait for the first mars tree to sprout its roots into the soil of earth. We will finally have a real martian.

aporetic_r
2002-Dec-06, 05:35 AM
I would be most in favor of very long-lived tree species. Several hundred or thousand years from now, people can look at those trees and feel a connection with the history that we are living in right now (indeed, the histroy that some members of this board are MAKING right now).

Aporetic

Jetmech0417
2002-Dec-06, 06:31 AM
I sincerely hope that in hundreds or thousands of years, people aren't using moon trees to keep their houses warm. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif That would be bad.

kucharek
2002-Dec-06, 08:03 AM
AFAIK, there actually was (is?) a Moon turtle.
Around '68, the Russians did some test flights with some kind of lunar Sojus spaceship, called Zond. On one? of these flights, they sent some animals, including a turtle. JimO should know more about this, I guess...

Harald