PDA

View Full Version : Nanotubes show their strength in numbers

buzzlightbeer
2005-Aug-21, 07:59 PM
article about the surprising advances in nanotube technology. includes the possibility of using nanotube sheets to build a space elevator tether.

msnbc article (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8976160/page/2/)

GOURDHEAD
2005-Aug-22, 01:45 AM
The new sheets have many of the same abilities as the single nanotubes, although their strength does decrease, becoming comparable to that of high-strength Mylar and Kapton, which are used for ultralight air vehicles. Not strong enough for space elevator.

cran
2005-Aug-22, 02:03 AM
'Nanotubes show their strength in numbers' ... :huh:

what happens when they get really organised...?

'Nanotubes Strike!' ... "demand more fluctuation and q-foam breaks!" :lol:

publiusr
2005-Sep-07, 05:07 PM
It would be a good wrap for solid rocket boosters. I seem to remember some new solid explosive called "China Lake 20" and it made me think about certain metastable fuels and exotic fuels. Nitrogen 20 (N 20) might make for an excellent superdense SRB--but it would have to have both caisson steel construction with a nano-wrap both to hold it together.

gopher65
2005-Sep-07, 06:13 PM
I read that an orbital space tether would require a tensile strength of at least 70 GPa to be useful. Nanotubes could potentially exceed 120 GPa when we figure out how to organize them properly (normal steel is about 1 GPa, high grade steel is less than 5 GPa). Of course that is a long way off:(.

Vhear
2005-Sep-12, 09:58 PM
Maybe by Nanotechonology?