PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Massive Stars Have Protoplanetary ...

Fraser
2005-Sep-01, 06:32 PM
SUMMARY: Astronomers working with the Subaru telescope have found a massive proto-star with a protoplanetary disk surrounding it. The star contains approximately 7 times the mass of the Sun, and astronomers weren't sure if such large stars would gather protoplanetary disks in the same way that less massive stars form them, such as our Sun. One theory, that massive stars are formed by collisions and mergers with smaller stars has lost ground because of this discovery.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/circumstellar_disk_cradles_massive_star.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Sep-01, 06:41 PM
I like that as we are using our new large telescopes we are finding an ever growing collection of snapshots of the star (and planet) formation process. Over the next fifty years we may be able to piece together views of every size category and formation scenario from start to finish. This star is a great example.

eburacum45
2005-Sep-04, 06:28 PM
So massive stars can form by gravitational collapse and mass accretion eh?

Good. That means large stars will probably have planets; I wonder if they will have larger planets and more extensive solar systems (well, that might depend on metallicity I suppose).

Planets around large stars will be subject to increased levels of UV and are unlikely to be Earth-like; large stars are short-lived so life is unlikely to develop in time anyway.

But with high tech protection against radiation it might be possible to one day colonise even the planets around such large + fierce stars.

George
2005-Sep-05, 02:47 PM
I think it's swell it's "collapsed" over "collision", apparently. :)

The butterfly pattern from polarization off the bipolar outflow walls is cool, too.

If it is from a collapsed cloud, I wonder if it has any new proto neighbors? [It's been shown that Sol once had a blue neighbor, possibly]