PDA

View Full Version : Moderators

Fraser
2005-Sep-04, 09:34 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know about all moderators, in case you see them lurking around. In no particular order:

antoniseb,
Kashi,
Matthew
Duane,
Josh,
Nereid,
Dave Mitsky,
Wolverine,
ToSeek,
Galaxy Girl,
Tinaa,
Planetwatcher,
Ola D.

iantresman
2005-Sep-14, 04:55 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know about all moderators, in case you see them lurking around. In no particular order:
antoniseb,
Kashi,
Matthew
Duane,
Josh,
Nereid,
Dave Mitsky,
Wolverine,
ToSeek,
Galaxy Girl,
Tinaa,
Planetwatcher,
Ola D.
Would the moderators like to say a few words about themselves? What are your main interests, where are you based, what are your names (unless you're on the run from Nasa). Just curious.

Regards,
Ian Tresman

Matthew
2005-Sep-14, 11:29 PM
My name is Matthew. I'm in year 10 at school in Melbourne, Australia I'm not sure what that translates to in other school systems). I'm 15, so I'm probably younger than most of you.

I like reading, and watching movies. Ummm..... oh yes, I' interested in physics. I love football too. But the good type of football, AFL footy. :razz:

antoniseb
2005-Sep-14, 11:49 PM
I'm 50 years old, live in the Eastern US, and am interested in cosmology, calligraphy, and comedy.

Josh
2005-Sep-14, 11:54 PM
I'm 27, an engineer and living in Melbourne, Australia. I like long walks along the beach and sunsets ... oh wait .. wrong blurb ... umm ... I like things that involve running, climbing and jumping and zipping about on a motorbike.

crosscountry
2005-Sep-15, 12:22 AM
I'm 27, an engineer and living in Melbourne, Australia. I like long walks along the beach and sunsets ... oh wait .. wrong blurb ... umm ... I like things that involve running, climbing and jumping and zipping about on a motorbike.

neato. I rode motorcycles too. Mine are of the roadway variety. You probably do offroading? My avatar is a little misleading.

Josh
2005-Sep-15, 12:34 AM
Both actually. Haven't been riding in a good while ... recovering from a shoulder reconstruction. Had a ... wait for it ... motorcycle accident. Idiot did a u-turn in front of me and i hit his 4x4 (pickup truck) at 80kph ... that was fun. But! planning on getting a new road bike soon (GSXR600 probably). some people never learn.

Tinaa
2005-Sep-15, 12:39 AM
I am 42 and a special education teacher at the local high school. I design and sew costumes for the drama department. I am raising two teenage daughters and a husband, four dogs and six cats. I love to read, but I believe my family actually thinks I enjoy cooking and doing laundry.

I like real football, NFL football, too.

How 'bout those Cowboys?!

crosscountry
2005-Sep-15, 03:29 AM
Both actually. Haven't been riding in a good while ... recovering from a shoulder reconstruction. Had a ... wait for it ... motorcycle accident. Idiot did a u-turn in front of me and i hit his 4x4 (pickup truck) at 80kph ... that was fun. But! planning on getting a new road bike soon (GSXR600 probably). some people never learn.

I prefer the cruiser style to the Sport bikes.

Both get you on the road however.

iantresman
2005-Sep-15, 02:04 PM
Thanks Matthew, antoniseb, Josh and Tinaa.

If I hold an amnesty for Kashi, Duane, Nereid, Dave Mitsky, Wolverine, ToSeek, Galaxy Girl, Planetwatcher and Ola D., do you think we can encourage them to say a few words too?

Regards,
Ian Tresman

galaxygirl
2005-Sep-17, 12:20 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm Rachel, a 16 year old from Massachusetts. I like science (someday I would love to become an astronaut), dance, photography, travelling, and a lot of other things. Sorry I havn't been around in a while- you all did a really nice job with the new forum though!

Wolverine
2005-Sep-17, 07:36 AM
If I hold an amnesty for Kashi, Duane, Nereid, Dave Mitsky, Wolverine, ToSeek, Galaxy Girl, Planetwatcher and Ola D., do you think we can encourage them to say a few words too?

Ian, several of us have participated in this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=29118) dedicated to introductions.

Planetwatcher
2005-Sep-17, 08:56 AM
My name is Byron. I am 46 years old, and live in Cedar Rapids Iowa of the USA.
I work at an electronic components factory which specializes in aviation radio electronics, Global Positioning System, and some work for the military, which I'm not allowed to talk about. :shhh:

I enjoy reading, fishing, rollerskating, studying history, and science,(especially astronomy and metorology) I aspire to be a writer, but I'm not very good, as Tinaa can attest to since she is still proofreading the last story I sent her. (It must be really bad to be taking her soooo long.) :doh:

I also like constructing solar system models, and I'm putting a pretty decent one together in my living room. :cool:
I used to have one on my station at work, but the boss got tired of my representation of Neptune on a thirty foot long dow rod hitting him in the head, so I had to dismantle it. :wall:

Now I'm thinking about doing something to represent the 25 closest star systems, and having them hang from an open weave tarp. But I'm having trouble finding something to support a 12 by 12 tarp, but I'll figure it out.

iantresman
2005-Sep-17, 01:28 PM
Ian, several of us have participated in this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=29118) dedicated to introductions.
Thanks Wolverine, and I see that galaxygirl and Planetwatcher have posted too, and in the thread you mention are introductor posts by Matthew, yourself, ToSeek, Tinaa, antoniseb, and Josh.

So that just leave the now-mysterious characters of Kashi, Duane, Nereid, Dave Mitsky, and Ola D.

Regards,
Ian Tresman

Donnie B.
2005-Sep-17, 03:29 PM
My name is Byron. I am 46 years old, and live in Cedar Rapids Iowa of the USA.
I work at an electronic components factory which specializes in aviation radio electronics, Global Positioning System, and some work for the military, which I'm not allowed to talk about. :shhh: Ah, Collins Radio. I toured the plant once as part of an Electronics class at Coe.

Planetwatcher
2005-Sep-23, 08:23 AM
Ah, Collins Radio. I toured the plant once as part of an Electronics class at Coe.

Well now that it's out of the bag, it's actually now called Rockwell Collins.
Back in the 1980s Rockwell International bought Collins Radio, but kept the major products intact.

A few years ago, Rockwell International decided to spin off the portion which was origionally Collins Radio, plus the additional plants that were added and expanded to support the enormus GPS program.
The spinoff company was named Rockwell Collins, and the Parent company became known as Rockwell Automation.

I work at the facility which has and continues to lead the rest of the company in most aspects. Just recently we have applied for consideration of the famous Shingo Award for excellence, quality, safety, and a number of other standards.
Maintaining VPP and ISO standards have become so routine and boring we decided we needed a new challenge. So we are now working on the world class Shingo Award.

I don't know that I want to say much else, but what I have said is public knowledge. Not to brag, but when you're hot you're hot.

Fram
2005-Sep-23, 08:50 AM
:) You're hot, allright!

If it's none of my business, no problem, but I wondered how you can be a moderator after three months and with 51 posts. I know the number of posts doesn't prove anything (I wouldn't be a good moderator at all), but still...

Tinaa
2005-Sep-23, 10:48 AM
When we merged he lost 1100+ posts. They are still out there in cyberspace.

Fram
2005-Sep-23, 10:56 AM
Ah, thanks!

Champion_Munch
2005-Sep-23, 12:04 PM
If they didn't count posts from BABBling, we'd all have 51. ;)

with regards

Planetwatcher
2005-Sep-25, 01:05 AM
The 51 postings basicly reflect only my postings since the merge of the 2 forums.

A few others that were members of both forums are having simular problems.
Had I terminated my BA membership before the merge, then all my posts from Universe Today would show. But I didn't see post numbers as a good reason to quit my membership on the old BA forums.

Actually I was among the first UT moderators picked. I think Matthew and I were in the same batch. There were 4 of us added at the time. Kashi has the longest time as a mod.

It helped to have been involved since the UT forum began.

Several of us had been asking Fraser for months to start a discussin forum.
It so happened he started it while I was on vacation, but I joined as soon as I saw it, and never regretted it.

As for the origional BA site, I was only vaugely aware of it, but reluctent because of the name. I thought it was promoting bad astronomy until Neried and Matthew set me straight. So I started lurking and occasionally posting a month or two on BA before we merged.

This merge IMHO is the best thing to happen on the internet since DSL, and I'm glad to be of service on this bigger, and better merged forum.

Hopefully the post numbers can be resolved soon, so that everyone has an acurate count.

Champion_Munch
2005-Sep-25, 01:08 AM
This merge IMHO is the best thing to happen on the internet since DSL, and I'm glad to be of service on this bigger, and better merged forum.

Agreed! :D

with regards

foreignkid
2007-Mar-25, 04:26 PM
Why don't we dig this thread up, so that the new mods can do the same thing??

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-25, 05:41 PM
This thread was about moderators who hadn't had time to be known to everyone because the boards where newly merged.
At the risk of sounding conceited, with 500+ posts1 for all of us since the merge, I don't think this situation applies anymore.

1) Find All Posts only goes back 500 posts, so I don't have more data except for Serenitude who did all posts since the merge:)

Serenitude
2007-Mar-25, 07:46 PM
In light of recent events, I am no longer comfortable having possibly identifiable information posted.

So, hello. I'm Serenitude ;)

foreignkid
2007-Mar-27, 03:04 AM
"I have this theory that the Apollo missions were faked when NASA found out that general relativity was wrong because the Earth was expanding due to the Sun's iron core being influenced by magnetic waves from the electric universe after being perturbed by Planet X and thereby causing global warming. Where should I start a thread about this?" ~ ToSeek

Oh, man! I was about to put that in as my sig :doh: ... Thanx a LOT, Serenitude!!

:D

Serenitude
2007-Mar-27, 03:08 AM
Sorry mate. I jumped on that one like white on rice.

I'll explain why (as I explained to ToSeek):

After my head exploded, and after all the king's horse's and all the kings men putting it back together again, I had the following brainstorm. My Theory of Dark Comedy:

Dark Comedy Theory. Where c is coffee, s is spew, v is velocity, and w is how much windex used to clean LCD monitor. When I put the sentence through the equation, it unified all 4 forces above. I'm hoping someone here can help me express the precise mathematics into an elegant, simple equation. My next step is to post it in ATM, and then hopefully submit if for referreing.

Whirlpool
2007-Mar-27, 03:16 AM
Wow . What an introduction Serenitude. :)

How about Jim and Henrikolsen?

:D

foreignkid
2007-Mar-27, 03:52 AM
Sorry mate. I jumped on that one like white on rice.

I'll explain why (as I explained to ToSeek):

After my head exploded, and after all the king's horse's and all the kings men putting it back together again, I had the following brainstorm. My Theory of Dark Comedy:

Dark Comedy Theory. Where c is coffee, s is spew, v is velocity, and w is how much windex used to clean LCD monitor. When I put the sentence through the equation, it unified all 4 forces above. I'm hoping someone here can help me express the precise mathematics into an elegant, simple equation. My next step is to post it in ATM, and then hopefully submit if for referreing.

YES!!! (http://bautforum.com/member.php?find=lastposter&t=56097)

Serenitude
2007-Mar-27, 03:54 AM
LOL Glad I could help, mate :lol:

Jim
2007-Mar-27, 01:16 PM
How about Jim and Henrikolsen?

Well, lessee... :think:

My name is Jim, I like soccer and Isaac Asimov, and I live in Texas. (Oh, right, kinda obvious.)

I've really told about myself over various threads and times. To summarize...

I'm married with children. The oldest and his wife are PIOs for two different North Texas cities; they have a daughter. Our middle - daughter - teaches preschool (4yos). Our youngest - son - is getting his masters at CalArts.

We have cats and dogs, so I can appreciate the pros and cons of both.

I'm a chemical engineer by education and a project engineer by profession, currently working at a chemical plant on the Houston Ship Channel. I graduated form the University of Texas. Since 1985, I've been involved in soccer... coach, referee, referee assessor, referee instructor.

I enjoy science fiction and science fact, about equally. (Which may explain why Asimov is a favorite.) Both feed the imagination and free the mind. I also enjoy history, especially the old kind; people are just so darn fascinating. And, like most Texans, my favorite spectator sport is Texas politics. ("No man's life, fortune, or family is safe while the Comanches are on the warpath or the Legislature is in session.")

ToSeek
2007-Mar-27, 03:08 PM
I'm just glad I didn't have to buy Serenitude a new keyboard and monitor.

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-27, 03:09 PM
I'm a chemical engineer by education and a project engineer by profession, currently working at a chemical plant on the Houston Ship Channel. My family lived in Houston for a year when I was in high school. We kept our sailboat in Galveston, not far from the outlet of the HSC. Got pretty used to passing by Refinery Row on our way down to the boat!

After Houston, we moved to Des Moines. There was a good humor columnist in the Register newspaper there who had a running gag about building a Des Moines Ship Channel down the middle of I-90. Always got a chuckle out of that.

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-27, 04:01 PM
Quick trivial question, was just wondering why a few of the mods don't have 'Moderator' instead of 'Senior Member' after their names? :)

Moose
2007-Mar-27, 04:30 PM
Have you hit refresh?

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-27, 04:37 PM
Have you hit refresh?
Yes, & cleared cache etc, but still see Planetwatcher & Matthew as 'Senior Members'. No biggie, just wondered :)

Moose
2007-Mar-27, 04:43 PM
Oh. Didn't they resign a while back due to other commitments or something?

Tensor
2007-Mar-27, 04:46 PM

Well, from what I can see, you are missing a variable, the Joke (j). s and v are related to j. BTW, multiplying the terms s and v (s*v) gives us the term splash (sp). One important note is that j is always greater than sp and sp/j is always greater than 1/2(The reason for this, is that in all the observations ever done, j is always observed to be greater than sp and sp/j has always been observed to be greater than 1/2. As a result, j > sp and sp/j > 1/2 are postulates for this equation. Also, c can be generalized to any liquid (L). Thus, L represents the volume of L in the mouth. Spew would also be a volume and v would be a velocity, this gives the term sp in units of velocity*volume. This requires the units on j to also be volume*velocity, to make units in the equation come out correctly. w would also be a volume.

With this in mind, your equations ends up as:

L( sp/j) = w

If you have any questions, let me know.

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-27, 04:50 PM
Oh. Didn't they resign a while back due to other commitments or something?
Oh, rats, I didn't notice this was another resurrected old thread, sorry :evil:

Moose
2007-Mar-27, 05:26 PM
Pretty much an example why casual necromancy isn't encouraged. Most of the time, the comment isn't worth the confusion it'll generate.

Of course, if there's an update of genuine value, it can be worth doing.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-27, 05:30 PM
As for me, my name is Henrik as you may have guessed, educationwise it's Electrical Engineering, with a main focus on computers, but never so narrow that I couldn't learn about everything else as well.

I've been a self employed consultant for more than 10 years now, specializing in *nix administration, networks and programming; with what I've come to understand is a rather atypical definition of "enough money", which means I work 2 days a month and do other interesting things the rest of the time.

Interesting things include BAUT, science fiction, role playing games, both table and live, the latter meshing well with my interest in old crafts, computer games, learning, teaching and sundry other things too numerous to list.

2007-Aug-14, 01:43 PM
Sometimes, I wish for a list of current moderators, so I can contact one easily, not the same few who pop into mind first, to spread the load.

So I made this list of moderators:

antoniseb (http://www.bautforum.com/members/antoniseb.html)
Dave Mitsky (http://www.bautforum.com/members/dave-mitsky.html)
Duane (http://www.bautforum.com/members/duane.html)
galaxygirl (http://www.bautforum.com/members/galaxygirl.html)
HenrikOlsen (http://www.bautforum.com/members/henrikolsen.html)
Jim (http://www.bautforum.com/members/jim.html)
Josh (http://www.bautforum.com/members/josh.html)
kashi (http://www.bautforum.com/members/kashi.html)
Nereid (http://www.bautforum.com/members/nereid.html)
Serenitude (http://www.bautforum.com/members/serenitude.html)
Tinaa (http://www.bautforum.com/members/tinaa.html)
ToSeek (http://www.bautforum.com/members/toseek.html)
Wolverine (http://www.bautforum.com/members/wolverine.html) (inactive since 2006)

And the beloved honchos:

Fraser (http://www.bautforum.com/members/fraser.html)
The Bad Astronomer (http://www.bautforum.com/members/the-bad-astronomer.html)

Any moderators missed? Any changes since I posted? I'll update.
Edit: Updated, adding 3 mods and 2 admins.

ToSeek
2007-Aug-14, 01:59 PM
Dave Mitsky
kashi
Duane
Fraser (administrator)
The Bad Astronomer (administrator)

Swift
2007-Aug-15, 07:11 PM
Ok, speaking of such....

I know that when we see a rule-breaking post, for example, we are supposed to either use the red triangle alert thingy (sorry for being so technical ;) ) or we are supposed to PM a moderator. Do we just pick an arbitrary one (or several) or is there some way to PM all of them - without actually having to address each on individually in the PM? My concern is that if I pick one, and that mod happens to be on vacation or otherwise inactive at the moment, the PM might not be acted upon for days or weeks. Is there some sort of Duty Watch moderator?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-15, 07:13 PM
Also, what happened to Wolverine?

antoniseb
2007-Aug-15, 07:15 PM
Is there some sort of Duty Watch moderator?
You're much better off clicking the alert icon. We all get emailed when that happens.

Nereid
2007-Aug-15, 07:28 PM
Ok, speaking of such....

I know that when we see a rule-breaking post, for example, we are supposed to either use the red triangle alert thingy (sorry for being so technical ;) ) or we are supposed to PM a moderator. Do we just pick an arbitrary one (or several) or is there some way to PM all of them - without actually having to address each on individually in the PM? My concern is that if I pick one, and that mod happens to be on vacation or otherwise inactive at the moment, the PM might not be acted upon for days or weeks. Is there some sort of Duty Watch moderator?To add to antoniseb's recommendation: there was at least one case (that I know of) recently where a BAUT member PMed a mod instead of using the Report Post button (the red triangle/black exclamation mark thingie). As luck would have it, the mod they PMed was, indeed, on vacation - had just started a two week vacation in fact - and the matter escalated until some other BAUT member(s) availed themsel(ves) of the red triangle ... upon which the matter was dealt with within an hour.

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-15, 09:08 PM
Er...I believe that was me...oops. :o

Well, it was my first thread..and it was a real lu-lu, too. :o:o

Ugh.

Gillianren
2007-Aug-16, 03:36 AM
The only reason I would PM a moderator instead is if I didn't feel it was really severe or fit the standards listed after you click the red triangle. Is there a way to know which mods are generally about? Which have gone away for a while?

Serenitude
2007-Aug-16, 03:48 AM
Not at the moment, unfortunately :(

2007-Aug-16, 04:11 AM
The only reason I would PM a moderator instead is if I didn't feel it was really severe or fit the standards listed after you click the red triangle. Is there a way to know which mods are generally about? Which have gone away for a while?

That's why I made my list link to profiles. At least you can see if one's done recent activity. That doesn't guarantee they didn't just pull out of the driveway for a 4-week vacation, but it gets you closer. Usually, I look in the active list to see if one is on now, and prefer a live mod. But, you don't always find one.

Yeah, for me, the private PM is usually for real low-priority when-you-get-a-chance requests. They can be handy when you're asking for a sanity-check on a different mod, too -- something I think I must do half-a-dozen times a day... Oops. Now the mod I never write to is going to know whose behavior I'm always asking about...

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-16, 06:36 AM
Yes, well, I'd agree that what 01101001 and Gillianren RE PM'ing a moderator; but, in my defense, I was an absolute noob at the time. :o

Ah well...live and learn.

Josh
2007-Aug-16, 06:46 AM
Perhaps Moderators should show up as a different colour in the currently online users list? I've suggested that before but it got lost in the tall grass. Would something like that help?

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-16, 07:36 AM
It certainly would, although that might encourage noobs to PM instead of clicking the little triangle as they are supposed to.

I can't think of any reason a poster needs to PM a mod, really. The triangle takes care of bad posts/threads gone bad/incipient flame wars, and isn't admin stuff like changing one's username handled by Fraser?

Edit: Also, when I was still new here, I tried PM'ing moderators a few times after the first time and got my PMs bounced back; so I'm either on the 'ignore' lists of the mods in question, or there was something wrong with the PM system that day.

Tinaa
2007-Aug-16, 10:24 AM
I doubt a mod has anyone on ignore.

Infinity Watcher
2007-Aug-16, 10:35 AM
It certainly would, although that might encourage noobs to PM instead of clicking the little triangle as they are supposed to.

I can't think of any reason a poster needs to PM a mod, really. The triangle takes care of bad posts/threads gone bad/incipient flame wars, and isn't admin stuff like changing one's username handled by Fraser?

Edit: Also, when I was still new here, I tried PM'ing moderators a few times after the first time and got my PMs bounced back; so I'm either on the 'ignore' lists of the mods in question, or there was something wrong with the PM system that day.

Actually I have PM'ed a mod once (ToSeek) I was posting a link to somewhere ( a series of cartoons to be precise) and wasn't sure where some of them stood in relation to the rules so I asked if he'd have a look over it and tell me if it was fine to post rather than just posting it and picking up a warning for inappropriate content, I was actually being paranoid at the time since normally it was something I wouldn't have thought twice about but at the time I didn't want to risk it.

I don't know how the Mods feel about this as a policy but I would only do it on the rare occasion that I felt something might be skirting the lines or just wasn't sure, normally I just use judgement and gut feeling but I can't think of a way to do that without PMing a Mod.

Serenitude
2007-Aug-16, 11:22 AM
I would encourage anyone who feels a need to PM a mod, to, well, PM a Mod. Please don't ever feel like it's something you cannot or should not do. Although in most situations, I will agree, the "report" button works better in general, I can think of dozens of scenarios in which one would rather talk to an individual mod/mods. Again, please feel free.

On the bounced PM - mods, until fairly recently, had a very small PM box. That has changed, however, but it's likely the mod you PMd was simply over the limit at that time ;)

Now the mod I never write to is going to know whose behavior I'm always asking about...

Why, you little.... *strangles 01101001*

I doubt a mod has anyone on ignore.

Agreed.

antoniseb
2007-Aug-16, 12:07 PM
I would encourage anyone who feels a need to PM a mod, to, well, PM a Mod. Please don't ever feel like it's something you cannot or should not do.
I sometimes get PMs from members who want to know if some topic is ATM or not before they post, or from people seeking clarifications of the rules before they do something they think might be marginal. This is certainly PM stuff, and not alert stuff.

Swift
2007-Aug-16, 12:48 PM
I sometimes get PMs from members who want to know if some topic is ATM or not before they post, or from people seeking clarifications of the rules before they do something they think might be marginal. This is certainly PM stuff, and not alert stuff.
As a member I have done that on literally one or two occasions (versus many Bad Post reports). I recall one was a question about how global warming discussions should be handled and I picked ToSeek because he seemed to be the mod that most often participated in such discussions.

There do seem to be certain mods who spend more time in certain forums, such as CT and ATM, and I would probably be one or two of them for such specific questions.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-16, 01:19 PM

And I assume that if a mod wants to discuss a subject raised in a PM with the other mods, he can still open a thread about it in the mod palace spa lounge section and mail all mods about it.

antoniseb
2007-Aug-16, 01:34 PM
And I assume that if a mod wants to discuss a subject raised in a PM with the other mods, he can still open a thread about it in the mod palace spa lounge section and mail all mods about it.
Yes. If we are uncertain how to handle a request, suggestion, or threat, we will share the PM in the Fortress of Solitude mod section. We seldom (if ever) email each other on such things. We just wait for the other mods to look.

ToSeek
2007-Aug-16, 02:08 PM

For a while there, mods were limited to the same quota of 100 PMs as ordinary mortals. I complained about this a couple of months ago (noting that mods tend to get a lot of PMs), and Fraser fixed it. But before then PMs might have bounced because our inboxes were full.

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-16, 02:10 PM
For a while there, mods were limited to the same quota of 100 PMs as ordinary mortals. I complained about this a couple of months ago (noting that mods tend to get a lot of PMs), and Fraser fixed it. But before then PMs might have bounced because our inboxes were full.

Ok, that's good to know. :)

Sticks
2007-Aug-16, 04:16 PM
So what has happened to Wolverine?

2007-Aug-16, 04:59 PM
Why, you little.... *strangles 01101001*

It... was... a... *choke*...

Heh.

Heh. Heh.

True confession: I saw an opportunity to yank a dozen chains in one swell foop, and, having absolutely no self-restraint, proceeded. Probably wasn't so smart, considering what might be the retaliatory effect of a dozen mods in unity jerking my chain. Restraint like that I don't need.

I so wish I were sorry. Have a moderate day!

Kelfazin
2007-Aug-16, 05:25 PM
Perhaps Moderators should show up as a different colour in the currently online users list? I've suggested that before but it got lost in the tall grass. Would something like that help?

Along similar lines (mods and colors) I've seen a couple mods (Jim especially) doing something I find very useful, using different colored text for official warnings inside threads. Sometimes things can get lost in the shuffle or inside fast-moving threads and, if you are skimming through, the color change really catches your eye. The font color also lets us know that he has taken off his "poster" hat and put on his "moderator" hat. It would be nice, if other people agree with me, if this could be a practice adopted by the other mods as well.

Jim
2007-Aug-16, 05:37 PM
Well, I got the idea from Nereid. She uses dark red, dark blue doesn't stand out, so I started using purple. It's good someone noticed.

Jim
2007-Aug-16, 05:44 PM
So what has happened to Wolverine?

Wolverine asked to be removed as a Mod last October. He's still listed as such, but hasn't posted or visited since then.

2007-Aug-16, 05:46 PM
Well, I got the idea from Nereid. She uses dark red, dark blue doesn't stand out, so I started using purple. It's good someone noticed.

I keep clicking on Jim's warnings, but the links never take me anywhere.
Wait, now it's happening to my links.

Kelfazin
2007-Aug-16, 05:47 PM
I keep clicking on Jim's warnings, but the links never take me anywhere.
Wait, now it's happening to my links.

They must have taken the site down...you've obviously visited the link already if it's purple.

ETA: the funny thing is, when I saw the purple underlined word I immediately hovered over it to see the URL, when nothing came up I clicked, thinking "What's wrong with this link??" :)

Crenshaw
2007-Aug-19, 10:51 PM
Antoniseb left town
The day that BAUT went down
But he took it on himself

And JayUtah was there
With silly powdered hair
Van Rijn had an invisible elf

But it happened too late
For Fraser and Phil Plait
They got caught in an internet jam

Then at a deadly pace
It came from cyber space
And this is how the message ran

Bad Astronomy online forum
Best not break rules of decorum
See woowoos fighting mainstream science
ToSeek and Nereid enforce compliance
Wo oh oh oh oh oh
At the astronomy online forum science show

thothicabob
2007-Sep-02, 05:48 AM
Antoniseb left town
The day that BAUT went down
But he took it on himself

And JayUtah was there
With silly powdered hair
Van Rijn had an invisible elf

But it happened too late
For Fraser and Phil Plait
They got caught in an internet jam

Then at a deadly pace
It came from cyber space
And this is how the message ran

Bad Astronomy online forum
Best not break rules of decorum
See woowoos fighting mainstream science
ToSeek and Nereid enforce compliance
Wo oh oh oh oh oh
At the astronomy online forum science show

Hmm. I'm unsure. Are you waxing - or waning - poetic?

[Where's Mr. Miyagi when you need him?]

Enjoyed it, though! :)

Maksutov
2007-Sep-02, 08:06 AM
Hmm. I'm unsure. Are you waxing - or waning - poetic?

[Where's Mr. Miyagi when you need him?]

Enjoyed it, though! :)He's just a sweet transBAUTite from Transectarian TransATMia.

Serenitude
2007-Sep-02, 08:15 AM
So.

Come up to the lab.

And see what's on the slab.

I can see you shiver with anticip................

Maksutov
2007-Sep-02, 09:18 AM
So.

Come up to the lab.

And see what's on the slab.

I can see you shiver with anticip................This calls for a new logo.

May I introduce Dr. B. A. Burger, who will help Brad and Janet with their journey across the Universe!

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1553/baburger7if3.jpg

Great Scott!

hhEb09'1
2007-Sep-02, 01:47 PM
For a while there, mods were limited to the same quota of 100 PMs as ordinary mortals. I complained about this a couple of months ago (noting that mods tend to get a lot of PMs), and Fraser fixed it. But before then PMs might have bounced because our inboxes were full.Is this a sorprende (http://www.snopes.com/history/american/bushscan.htm) or am I on the restricted list? I only got a 50 PM limit. :sad:

Tensor
2007-Sep-02, 03:14 PM
Is this a sorprende (http://www.snopes.com/history/american/bushscan.htm) or am I on the restricted list? I only got a 50 PM limit. :sad:

That's all get also. So I think ToSeek may have erred here.

Serenitude
2007-Sep-02, 06:35 PM
Moderators had thier PM limit increased, due to the incredibly high amount of PMs we recieve on a daily basis. AFAIK, however, the community PM limit remained in place.

ToSeek
2007-Sep-02, 06:36 PM
All I can say is that from the birth of the board until I complained, I always had a limit of 100 PMs. Perhaps that was already a more generous allocation to moderators.

hhEb09'1
2007-Sep-03, 02:45 AM
AFAIK, however, the community PM limit remained in place.Mine didn't change :)

Near the top of my PM page it says "You have 47 messages stored, of a total 50 allowed."

Tobin Dax
2007-Sep-04, 10:19 PM
All I can say is that from the birth of the board until I complained, I always had a limit of 100 PMs. Perhaps that was already a more generous allocation to moderators.
So who do we complain to about ToSeek getting special treatment? :)

Jim
2007-Sep-05, 02:55 AM
ToSeek.

Tobin Dax
2007-Sep-05, 03:29 AM
So just keep on doing what we're doing. Got it.

Gigabyte
2009-Aug-26, 02:58 PM
Excellent thread. Highly suggested for reading.

slang
2009-Aug-26, 05:58 PM
Excellent thread. Highly suggested for reading.

When you revive a two year old, three page thread just to say it's good reading, it would be nice to say why it is good reading, instead of making people go through three pages to find out.

crosscountry
2009-Aug-27, 07:50 PM
When you revive a two year old, three page thread just to say it's good reading, it would be nice to say why it is good reading, instead of making people go through three pages to find out.

he's mad at the mods

Gigabyte
2009-Sep-10, 05:11 PM

Nobody HAS to read anything. If you actually took the few minutes to read the thread, it would be obvious.

R.A.F.
2009-Sep-12, 03:55 PM
What is wrong with taking the time to be courteous??

Gigabyte
2009-Sep-12, 03:59 PM
Not a thing. I highly encourage that.

geonuc
2009-Oct-07, 04:26 PM
The BAUT moderator team, as always, continues to do a great job. Thanks.

In other non-news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

mike alexander
2009-Oct-08, 12:57 AM
The BAUT moderator team, as always, continues to do a great job. Thanks.

In other non-news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

STOP THAT! Or I'll put you through the Bass-O-Matic.

Arnold Layne
2009-Oct-08, 01:01 AM
Maybe the posters could identify their favorite moderators.

Mine is graphite.

geonuc
2009-Oct-08, 08:44 AM
Maybe the posters could identify their favorite moderators.

Mine is graphite.
Too unstable for my tastes -- tends to go all Chernobyl on you without much provocation.

Swift
2009-Oct-08, 12:26 PM
I can't begin to tell you how tired I am of the neutrons complaining constantly that I'm slowing them down too much.

Arnold Layne
2009-Oct-08, 01:32 PM
I can't begin to tell you how tired I am of the neutrons complaining constantly that I'm slowing them down too much.

Yes, I think Swift is an inappropriate name for a moderator then.

Kaptain K
2009-Oct-08, 03:33 PM
I, being heavy myself, prefer deuterium oxide. :)

nokton
2009-Oct-08, 04:20 PM
I am 42 and a special education teacher at the local high school. I design and sew costumes for the drama department. I am raising two teenage daughters and a husband, four dogs and six cats. I love to read, but I believe my family actually thinks I enjoy cooking and doing laundry.

I like real football, NFL football, too.

How 'bout those Cowboys?!
Tinaa, thankyou, am a single dad of 76 raising a 19 year old.
been doing that for 7 years. You love to read? Tell me more,
learned to read when I was 5, read all the classics then science.
Am self educated by reading.
Would appreciate your comments on anything you feel of pertinence
to my contact with you. Have a dog , a Rotti.