PDA

View Full Version : I want phpBB............ >___<

yaohua2000
2005-Sep-04, 12:56 PM
How can I edit the title of a thread after be replied? for the MRO live countdown thread.

Wolverine
2005-Sep-04, 06:25 PM
The ability to edit topic titles is currently limited to 60 minutes. I'm not sure if that's etched in stone though.

Note: thread moved to About BAUT since it deals with the forum itself rather than astronomy.

Fraser
2005-Sep-04, 06:27 PM
I just fixed it so you can edit topic titles for 60 minutes. You can now edit posts for up to 24 hours.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Sep-04, 06:40 PM
I think I know what he's on about
back in the old badastronomy forum yaohua2000 used to type these count-down clocks into the thread title

topics such as a launch or $%^ is now only 8,976 km from Mars and aproaching fast
He done a thread title such as Cassini is about to arrive at Saturn and is now *** kilometres away and the number would re-load and update

or he'd do a topic such as Deep impact is 5 hrs from the comet...and the title would continue to count-down or re-fresh every few mins

I'm sure there must be another way for him to do his countdown clock

yaohua2000
2005-Sep-04, 07:26 PM
I just fixed it so you can edit topic titles for 60 minutes. You can now edit posts for up to 24 hours.

24 hours is far not enough. It should be at least 10 years for a New Horizons countdown. >___<

Oh my god, why do you decide to replace phpBB, it's the best bulletin board system I've ever seen, better look, and easier to use.

----
phpBB@BABB,我会永远怀念你的!!!心痛中,555...

R.A.F.
2005-Sep-04, 07:35 PM
...why do you decide to replace phpBB, it's the best bulletin board system I've ever seen, better look, and easier to use.

I thought I might have some trouble getting "used to" vbulletin, but I've found that I like it! I'm not having any trouble at all...

GDwarf
2005-Sep-04, 07:37 PM
24 hours is far not enough. It should be at least 10 years for a New Horizons countdown. >___<

Oh my god, why do you decide to replace phpBB, it's the best bulletin board system I've ever seen, better look, and easier to use.

----
phpBB@BABB,我会永远怀念你的!!!555...

Basing your opinion of a message board on one feature it doesn't have is pretty harsh. vB is great, it just takes tweaking to make it perfect, I belong to several vB boards, and they look great and do pretty much everything, but it took time for them to be tweaked to the right settings. I don't know if vB has the feature you want, I rather think it doesn't, but it has many other very useful/just plain cool ones. Give it time to settle before you form an opinion of it.

yaohua2000
2005-Sep-04, 08:54 PM
Basing your opinion of a message board on one feature it doesn't have is pretty harsh. vB is great, it just takes tweaking to make it perfect, I belong to several vB boards, and they look great and do pretty much everything, but it took time for them to be tweaked to the right settings. I don't know if vB has the feature you want, I rather think it doesn't, but it has many other very useful/just plain cool ones. Give it time to settle before you form an opinion of it.

OK, vBulletin is great. But you would better find some way to help me editing the title of my thread without time limit. This is the only request of mine, so...

Fraser
2005-Sep-04, 08:59 PM
Okay, I think I've fixed it. See if it works for you.

yaohua2000
2005-Sep-04, 09:02 PM
Okay, I think I've fixed it. See if it works for you.

I'm afraid, no.

I'm trying to modify the title of the following thread, change "91 million kilometers" to "90 million kilometers":

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=20490

Unfortunately, I cannot see the "Edit" button.

Fraser
2005-Sep-04, 09:05 PM
The edit button is down at the bottom right of the message window. Unfortunately, it looks like it only lets you change the title for the post, not for the entire thread. I'll keep looking. I think the service you offer is really cool, it would be great to continue supporting it.

yaohua2000
2005-Sep-04, 09:19 PM
The edit button is down at the bottom right of the message window. Unfortunately, it looks like it only lets you change the title for the post, not for the entire thread. I'll keep looking. I think the service you offer is really cool, it would be great to continue supporting it.

Okey, I'll wait and see the improvement.

Here is my current screenshot, no "Edit" button at the bottom right.

http://www.oier.org.cn/baut.png

Meteora
2005-Sep-04, 11:52 PM
...I was just thinking that this BB is way better than phpBB2 -- and I'm a long-time fan of phpBB2, too! If this very busy site were phpBB2, I think I'd have to resign my membership, since there's no way I could keep up. :)

Ken Vogt
2005-Sep-05, 03:03 PM
By tradition, the BOINC team is limited to one thread in the Astronomy forum, since team talk is arguably off-topic there. But since most of the people who are interested in distributed computing frequent (General) Astronomy the most, the BA granted us the privilege of a thread there.

When I was a team founder, I would frequently edit the first post and title of this thread to reflect additional projects, the new team website, simpler joining instructions etc. Even a simple change to this post to recognize the new team name and welcome UT members is now impossible. (This post is linked to by many posts in the various project forums.)

Editing a first post, in addition to title editing, would be helpful in mission situations like yaohua2000's as well: Updating NASA TV times, when is the press briefing, etc., is much cleaner than innumerable addendums. I've seen many boards where well maintained first posts saved people much time navigating long threads.

I would also make many mistakes in my posts that were only recognized much later than one day: editing such errors is much cleaner than littering an already long thread with tiny correction posts. Not to mention realizing---too late---that you said something you regret.

Several boards I have been on allow unlimited editing, and I can not see a reason for restricting it. The post is marked by software as edited, and the overwhelming majority of people additionally use phrases like Edited to add: or [edit] tags. People who abuse this can be warned by a mod.

I feel, just a little bit, and with the greatest respect to all the admins, that not allowing editing implies that we are not to be trusted.

More generally, I also prefer greatly phpBB, and I know I will hate the reputation thing. As a crotchety old man, I even dislike the post count culture universal to all boards. In full disclosure, the overwhelming number of my posts were in the single BABB team threads, this is like my 6th post in the "real" virtual world of BABB/BAUT, so treat me as the newbie I am. "Senior Member" only in age.

So now I will have to go away and think about this post and nothing else for 24 hours to see if it reads like I meant it to, or I violated the FAQ, was impolite or hateful. Unclear?, well all my posts are that, but still...<g>

I will post much less if editing is not allowed; though most would agree this is a good thing.

Fraser
2005-Sep-05, 03:09 PM
I'll talk this over with Phil

Robert Andersson
2005-Sep-05, 03:12 PM
I just want to give my support for unlimited editing. I know it can be abused, and I do hate "silent changes", but it is very limiting to not being able to edit at all (after a timeout). The best would probably be to have a revisioning system (wiki-style) that lets you view previous versions, but I doubt vBulletin supports that. So, lacking that, I'm for unlimited editing.

Ken Vogt
2005-Sep-05, 03:29 PM
I'll talk this over with Phil
Many thanks Fraser, I sure appreciate it.:)

(And: What Robert Andersson Said, more concisely than I, naturally. <g>)

GDwarf
2005-Sep-05, 03:34 PM
I also support unlimited editing. the old BABB had it, and as far as I know it was only abused once, by a HB who, when proven wrong, immediately removed all his opinions. If unlimited editing of Titles is considered to be too open to abuse (It's done 'silently') then at least remove any limit from posts, every time you edit a post a little line appears for everyone to see saying when the post was last edited, that greatly reduces any abuse that could be done.

yaohua2000
2005-Sep-06, 03:37 PM
Yes, I can edit the title of the first post now, but the editing doesn't affect at the title of the thread.

Any administrators can solve this problem, please?

Fraser
2005-Sep-06, 03:52 PM
There isn't much else I can do easily in the control panel. I'm going to have to search the vBulletin community for a hack. But you might want to have a general topic for the thread, and then do the countdown in your posts.

Ken Vogt
2005-Sep-06, 04:19 PM
Fraser,

I also hope a fix for yaohua can be found, but many thanks to you and Phil for the return of the edit buttons; I'm much happier with vBulletin now.

And I will certainly try hard to abuse this new privelege!
I mean, not abuse...!:D

Kaptain K
2005-Sep-07, 08:43 AM
FWIW - Personally, I found yaohua2000's changing thread titles to be slightly annoying. That said, I am simply glad that this forum exists and will be happy either way.