PDA

View Full Version : Image attachment suggestions

iceman
2005-Sep-04, 09:36 PM
Hi guys.

I run a vB forum and it is great to see BAUT now as VB.

I'd like to suggest a few things regarding image attachments:

1. Raise the limit back to 100k, it seems to be 97.7k now. Maybe it's set at 100000 bytes instead of 100k?

2. Save the attachments to disk instead of the DB. I'm not sure if you're doing this already, maybe you are, but it will save you much time when you're doing a database backup.

3. When images are attached, display them as a thumbnail (approx 150px). This lets people decide whether they want to open it or not, especially for larger attachments. Also this way, you don't need a limit on image dimensions.. otherwise, large image dimensions can skew the look of the forum as it stretches things out to display the inline images.

4. Allow more than one image attachment per post. I've set up my forum to allow up to 8 images attached to the one post, because they are thumbnails it doesn't take up space and people can decide whether to open them. The alternative, is you get people replying to their own thread to post more images.

Just some suggestions.. Good luck with the new forum!

Maksutov
2005-Sep-05, 01:15 PM
[edit]4. Allow more than one image attachment per post. I've set up my forum to allow up to 8 images attached to the one post, because they are thumbnails it doesn't take up space and people can decide whether to open them. The alternative, is you get people replying to their own thread to post more images.

Just some suggestions.. Good luck with the new forum!
Here, here!

I've already run into this on two attempted posts, where in each case two images were required to make my point, and were not allowed.

The phpBB software had no problem with this. I always made sure image links were per the rules (i.e., not stealing bandwidth from other sites), and where the images were large, always used thumbnails as links.

In the two posts referenced above, the images were tiny (4K and 5K), but the arbitrary "one image per post" rule precluded their being used in these posts that were designed around them.

Very frustrating.

mickal555
2005-Sep-05, 01:29 PM
I think this is going to be fixed soon- it's a VB(lol) defult

Maksutov
2005-Sep-05, 01:31 PM
I think this is going to be fixed soon- it's a VB(lol) defult
So it's defult's fault. Figures! ;)

mickal555
2005-Sep-05, 01:45 PM
ahhh- It's Mak.

Snowcelt was the first person to yell at me for spelling, now I know your not yelling just making a joke- but it does get werrisome after a while- I really do try to spell stuff corectly- and I totally agree that you need to learn how to spell, otherwise you won't be able to espress yourself fully- that's what I'm doing now, learning. I've got alot better too thanks to internet forums.

Fraser
2005-Sep-05, 02:07 PM
Yup, I'll be fixing it. I just passed out last night at like 8:30 after we got the kids to bed. We'll keep bug hunting today.