PDA

View Full Version : A lunar experience

Peter B
2002-Dec-10, 02:36 AM
Having just spent the last few lunch times again musing over pictures from the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, I was wondering:

Are there any places where you can wear a complete, self-contained space suit, such as the Apollo astronauts used in training? Or is this only for those involved in the real deal?

Colt
2002-Dec-10, 03:33 AM
Their suits were not cheap to construct and they were custom fitted.. So, I doubt it. -Colt

Rodina
2002-Dec-10, 06:36 AM
If you can lay out $10K or so, Space Adventures in Arlington, VA, can send you to Russia for some neutral boyancy training - there you get to wear a real spacesuit.

jrkeller
2002-Dec-10, 02:20 PM
If you go to work for NASA, you might be able to do it. NASA and various NASA contractors have some jobs that do suit check out, stuff like that. If you know someone, you might be able to get to try one on.

When the Russians delivered the ORLAN suit to NASA a few years ago, a fair amount of non-astronauts tried in out, just to get different points of view.

There is a place that makes custom suits. I'll try and find the website.

kucharek
2002-Dec-10, 02:47 PM
On 2002-12-10 09:20, jrkeller wrote:
There is a place that makes custom suits. I'll try and find the website.

I guess you mean something like this: http://www.globaleffects.com/spacesuits.html

They also have all kinds of accessories (http://www.globaleffects.com/rentalP7.html), including a LRV.

Harald

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Dec-11, 12:17 AM
What about this one (http://www.badastronomy.com/info/whois.html)? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Peter B
2002-Dec-11, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys. Wow! I want one of them suits from "From the Earth to the Moon."

I'd never need to buy a costume for a fancy dress party again. (Mind you, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to attend any parties, but what the heck!)

cable
2002-Dec-14, 04:44 PM
ANY patent/technical specs regarding NASA lunar suit.
or is is it still top secret ??

JayUtah
2002-Dec-14, 06:06 PM
There are extensive descriptions, design plans, photographs, drawings, and specifications of the various forms of Apollo spacesuits in print and all over the web. There are several suits in museums all over the world. The space suit is far from top secret.

Rodina
2002-Dec-14, 06:25 PM
The space suit is far from top secret.

Well, except for the fact with how the astronauts really go to the bathroom. That's a secret that humanity is not fit to know and you need a clearance of at least Yankee White to hear the answer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rodina on 2002-12-14 13:28 ]</font>

calliarcale
2002-Dec-14, 08:22 PM
You mean how did they go to the bathroom in the Extravehicular Mobility Units? Well, it's the same way the Space Shuttle and ISS astronauts do nowdays while they're out on EVA.

They wear a very sophisticated device underneath the thermal cooling garment that goes inside of the EMU. It's called....

[drumroll]

....A DIAPER!!!

Yep, they wear diapers on EVA. Kind of ruins some of the glamor, doesn't it? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

(Inside the ships, they had a different method. They peed into tubes similar to the "evacuation tubes" fighter pilots use, and they did "number two" into special canisters called "Apollo fecal canisters". The shuttles still carry those Apollo canisters in case the toilet breaks -- which does happen sometimes. It takes even more of the glamor out of spaceflight if you consider that they did this all while the three men were sharing a space roughly the size of a Geo Metro -- no privacy whatsoever!)

Glom
2002-Dec-14, 08:43 PM
Kind of ruins some of the glamor, doesn't it?

That's probably why that information was played down. The NASA proponents in the government wanted to make the astronauts look like the pinnacles of glamour.

SpacedOut
2002-Dec-15, 12:22 PM
On 2002-12-14 13:25, Rodina wrote:

Well, except for the fact with how the astronauts really go to the bathroom. That's a secret that humanity is not fit to know and you need a clearance of at least Yankee White to hear the answer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rodina on 2002-12-14 13:28 ]</font>

Try here in the ALSJ (http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/frame.html) transcript from Apollo 17, at 117:52:34. In the comments Harrison Schmitt discusses one of his problems.

Irishman
2002-Dec-30, 11:38 AM
And then there's the famous (infamous?) Mercury incident. Those suborbital flights only took a half hour or so, but one of the astronauts (can't remember who at the moment) got stuck sitting on the launch pad for hours waiting for various reasons, and finally had to go. They didn't want to haul him out because that would take forever and a day, so he just took a leak in his suit. And that was before they had any arrangements.

kucharek
2002-Dec-30, 12:21 PM
When my children were out of their diapers, it still happened some times that absorbed in play or at night they forgot to go to the loo early enough. Every time they wetted their trousers and were very sad about doing this, I told them the story of Al Shepard's first flight... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Harald

Peter B
2002-Dec-30, 12:22 PM
On 2002-12-30 06:38, Irishman wrote:
And then there's the famous (infamous?) Mercury incident. Those suborbital flights only took a half hour or so, but one of the astronauts (can't remember who at the moment) got stuck sitting on the launch pad for hours waiting for various reasons, and finally had to go. They didn't want to haul him out because that would take forever and a day, so he just took a leak in his suit. And that was before they had any arrangements.

That was Alan Shepherd. Covered in the movie "The Right Stuff."

calliarcale
2002-Dec-30, 02:07 PM
I heard once (may be an urban legend) that coffee was not allowed right before launch on subsequent Mercury flights. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

BTW, the reason they didn't bother with any, um, "accomodations" was because Shephard's flight was only 15 minutes anyway. They figured he'd be able to hold it. But there were some delays in the countdown, so he ended up spending several hours in a hot tin can on the top of a giant firecracker. Fun! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif