PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Apollo on way to Moon

JimO
2002-Dec-12, 11:00 PM
I'm thrashing through the stacks on my desk for a photograph I was sure I had gotten, showing pinpoints of light that were the Apollo CSM, the S4B, and the 4 symmetrically placed SLA panels halfway to the moon. But did I dream this, or is it on the 'net somewhere?

One thing I -did- find was a set of pictures from the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, of the S4B rocket burn observed from Hawaii on Apollo-8. That was a fairly common observation on later missions, and so there were tens of thousands of witnesses that something BIG left Earth orbit heading outbound just like NASA said.

If somebody wants to post them somewhere i'd be happy to share.

Jim O
joberg@houston.rr.com

mcclir
2002-Dec-12, 11:48 PM
Hi Mr. Oberg,
I think this is the picture you are looking for.

http://www.w7ftt.net/apollo13.html

jrkeller
2002-Dec-13, 02:02 AM
That's the one I remember too.

Kiwi
2002-Dec-13, 11:10 AM
In case it's of any use, "National Geographic", May 1969, pages 610-611, has a photo taken during the Apollo 8 mission.

The caption says: "Extraordinary photograph made by a tracking camera in Spain shows the 600-mile-wide cloud created by the rocket when it dumped liquid oxygen. Now, half an hour later at a height of 26,000 miles, the S-IVB spews a smaller double cloud as it vents excess liquid hydrogen. The speck above and to the right of the rocket is the spacecraft."

The credit reads: "The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, San Fernando, Spain.

There are a lot of stars in the photo which may aid in locating the craft.

The photo is approximately 21cm wide x 12 cm high. The large oxygen cloud takes up only a small amount of the total area, is shaped like a side-on view of a fairly flat mushroom with a very thin stem, and is approximately 2 x 5 cm.

The much smaller hydrogen cloud is about .5 x 2 cm.

JimO
2002-Dec-13, 12:39 PM
That's it, thanks. And I will track down the May 69 NG for that picture too!

Jim

Kiwi
2002-Dec-14, 02:22 AM
Thinking more about the National Geographic photo, I'd very much like to know exactly what stars are showing in it. Does anyone know where to start looking in Sky Map? What local time and date to set for Spain?