PDA

View Full Version : Solaris

gethen
2002-Dec-13, 03:15 PM
o.k., I have to ask. Did anyone besides myself see this movie (Solaris) and, if so, does anyone know what was going on? What sort of strange astronomical object was Solaris supposed to be? What was all this talk of anti-Higgs bosons and fields generated with those bosons all about? I mentioned this to someone who has some knowledge about quantum field theory and he said he couldn't really wrap his mind around that one. If the movie weren't so painfully slow and confusing I would see it again just to try to figure out what they were talking about in that scene. Anyone have any thoughts?

daver
2002-Dec-13, 05:44 PM
On 2002-12-13 10:15, gethen wrote:
o.k., I have to ask. Did anyone besides myself see this movie (Solaris) and, if so, does anyone know what was going on? What sort of strange astronomical object was Solaris supposed to be? What was all this talk of anti-Higgs bosons and fields generated with those bosons all about? I mentioned this to someone who has some knowledge about quantum field theory and he said he couldn't really wrap his mind around that one. If the movie weren't so painfully slow and confusing I would see it again just to try to figure out what they were talking about in that scene. Anyone have any thoughts?

I haven't seen either movie; in the book Solaris was a planet. Probably in some sense a sentient planet; anyway, one that provided a kind of strange mirror to human sentience.

informant
2002-Dec-13, 06:54 PM
In the novel Solaris is a regular planet, except that it's covered with a sentient ocean. Soderbergh avoided this part of the story, and his adaptation doesn't mention it. In the film, they used some weird fractal special effects to make it look strange.
The talk about 'Higgs bosons' is probably just hollywoodish technobabble.

Digital Apprentice
2002-Dec-13, 07:00 PM
On 2002-12-13 10:15, gethen wrote:
o.k., I have to ask. Did anyone besides myself see this movie (Solaris) and, if so, does anyone know what was going on? What sort of strange astronomical object was Solaris supposed to be? What was all this talk of anti-Higgs bosons and fields generated with those bosons all about?

From the novel:
[spoiler warning, highlight to reveal]
<TABLE BGCOLOR="#CCCCCC">
<TR>
<TD>
<FONT COLOR="#CCCCCC">
Solaris is a planet with a plasmatic ocean covering its entire surface. It many ways the ocean seems to be alive, but it is an enigma. A station is built over the surface of the ocean and is staffed by scientists to investigate the phenomena. After a high energy X-ray experiment strange "visitors" begin appearing, drawn from the subconscious of the crew of the station. The character "Rheya" is such a manifestation, perfect in every living detail down to the sub-molecular level, where the matter than makes up their bodies is made up of sub-atomic particles (Neutrinos in the book, I guess Bosons in the film) instead of atoms. This is why they have the ability to completely regenerate.

It is never revealed if these "visitors" are created by the ocean to "experiment" on the crew, communicate with the crew, or merely just random phenomena such as the Mimiods (formations on the ocean surface which mimic what passes over them).

In the end, the story is about the ineffability of the alien mind. How can you hope to communicate with something totally alien to what we know as "life"? This is a pretty common Lem theme.
</FONT>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
Lem's thoughts on the film can be found here (http://www.cyberiad.info/english/kiosk/kiosk.htm#solstation)
D.

(edited to try and eliminate some wasted space and to add the link. And fix the BGCOLOR to match the article.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Digital Apprentice on 2002-12-13 14:17 ]</font>

Conrad
2002-Dec-16, 11:10 PM
Oh yes. Oh yes indeed!

Actually, er, no. I've read the book and have the Russian original on DVD and video. I've watched Tarkovsky's version umpteen times and what it *seems* to come down to is this: what is a human being? If Solaris creates a perfect copy of a human being, is that human then less than the original? What difference does no difference make? Where does the soul reside, if anywhere? Is Solaris trying to communicate or merely copying human form and function? Cont. Page 96 of PK Dick SF analysis.
I'm sure you can find endless variations on the above in any undergrad film analysis.

Mr. X
2002-Dec-16, 11:13 PM
Solaris WAS A BLATANT excuse to show George Clooney naked and I still have nightmares of it.

kucharek
2002-Dec-17, 07:35 AM
On 2002-12-13 13:54, informant wrote:
The talk about 'Higgs bosons' is probably just hollywoodish technobabble.

I haven't seen the new movie, but read the book several times. Maybe that 'Higgs' reference is inspired by the following:
In the book, Solaris is circling (bad astronomy word for this situation) around a double star. Such a situation was considered to result into an instabile orbit. Monitoring Solaris revealed that somehow Solaris is actively modelling the space-time continuum to keep its orbit stable. Solaris not only knew Einstein and understood him, but also could use him. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Harald